Mental Health Forums

Mood Stabilizers

Angela

Hi,

Am going on mood stabilizers tomorrow when i see my GP, not sure which one's yet. Is anyone else on them? If so, which ones (if you don't mind me asking) and what are the side-effects?

Thanks,

Angela :blink:

Im supposed to be on lithum, dry mouth, need to drink a lot, can become toxic, still need to drink a lot lol. been on many more to put i think lithum is the best. depends on the person.

Good luck tomorrow. I started Topamax almost 3 weeks ago. Too soon for me to really determine s/e. My pdoc had also increased my Wellbutrin from 150 to 300, so I can't tell what is causing what.

Best wishes!!

Amy

Yeah, I'm the same as Josh, supposed to be on lithium, hes covered the side effects, although I had weight gain as well (although this could have been the other drugs!). You have to have regular blood tests to check that the levels in your blood are ok and not going too high cos as josh mentioned, it can be toxic. Good luck, hope they help! xx

I am on Wellbutrin. When I was on it before, I had weight loss, but nothing else. I sleep very little, but I was like that before...the Wellbutrin doesn't help that. All it does for me is bring me down a notch. I'm still sad, teary, and thinking waaaay tooooo much, but I don't have the upswing anymore. It took the best part away from me.

Thanks guys. I just looked up Topamax and it said it was for epilepsy, is it a mood stabiliser too? Also, what is Wellbutrin? I thought it was an antidepressant? Am confused!

Angela

I waited so long to finally get my mood stabilizer. She introduced all of my meds very slowly, and when I finally got my Topamax she had to put me on 50, a dose that I wouldn't notice a change in my mood :blink: . But she said my brain needed to get used to it before the dose could be incresed. This will happen next week. With the other meds I am on, I do feel better, and it will be nice to have my moods under a bit more control.

I'm sorry for rambling on about this, I just am really glad that this subject was brought up.

Again, good luck tomorrow!!

Amy

Yes, you are right. He gave me Wellbutrin for depression. My therapist and my GP spoke on the phone. I have no idea what they talked about, but this is what the GP offered.

Angela,

Wellbutrin is an antidepressant. Topamax is an anti convulsant, and is used as a mood stabilizer. Look it up at crazymeds.org, along the left hand side. You will see many different types of stabilizers there. :D

Amy

I'm on DepaKote... its a mood stabilizer but I take it for seizures. The only side effect I remember now is that sometimes it makes your hair fall out, which didn't happen with me...

Other than that, I take Zoloft (and anti-depressant) and Seroquel (anti-psychotic)

Seroquel makes you tired, and the Zoloft is SUPPOSED to sometimes decrease sex drive, but mine is so incredibly high that I don't notice a change.

One note on Zoloft though-- TAKE IT WITH WATER!!! I've never had to take water with meds until I went on the Zoloft. Then I made the mistake of not taking it with water, and its REALLY PAINFUL if you don't!!

hey there,

most anti epileptics are used as mood stabilizers aswell. ive been on all of them and now im on 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night of lithium and also 200mg of topamax which is the mood stabiling/anti epileptic. im also on anti depresants, anti psychotics and two sleepers, plus stuff for other conditions. it drives me nuts not that i am not already lol, but hey they seem to work for me.

good luck and i hope they work for you what ever you are started on. there are a few side effects as the others have said. the drinking which also makes me go to the toilet alot. i have to get up during the night at least once which shits me but it has to be done. and the tremor that comes and goes also shits me. these are due to the lithium. i havent put on weight ive actually lost heaps. something close to 40kgs now. but i also have an ED so that doesnt help matters.

but hey good luck and keep us informed.

stace/rag

Jus adding to this interersting er..list.....

I am on antidepressants Prozacs. And mood stabilisers Xanax and Topamax. Yes topamax is anti-epileptic and mood stabiliser. Pdoc says also anti-appetite but no effect on that aspect for me. ;)

Thanks everyone, went on Convulex in the end, it is Sodium Valporate. Was just wondering though, I know there is a theory by one doctor (can't remember his name) that BPD is a form of epilepsy and some mood stabilisers are antiepileptic drugs, does anyone think there is a connection?

Angela <_<

I know there is a theory by one doctor (can't remember his name) that BPD is a form of epilepsy and some mood stabilisers are antiepileptic drugs, does anyone think there is a connection?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i have read bout that, its a theory by a guy called Dr.Heller. There is a book called 'life at the border' that he wrote and it explains the theory. I think its a good book really i read it a while ago.

tory xx

epilepsy is a disorder involving the electrical impulses of the brain, and these electrical impulses are caused by the movement of neurotransmitters between the synapses. I think it makes sense that any disorder involving the concentration of neurotransmitters in the brain (which could be the organic basis of all mental illness) could indeed be a form of epilepsy. How do we know that an increase in serotonin doesn't have a knock-on effect on the electrical impulses of the brain that can't be measured by the instruments of our time? We know so little about how the brain works I wonder why we're even trying to bracket things at this point. I guess we have to try to make sense of it somehow. That's enough of the science part (I just read it and I have no idea how I know this stuff), I have been on modocate (involves the inhumanity of an injection in the ass) and now have sulpiride as my to take when things are bad meds. Are anti-psychotics the same as mood stabilizers? Tranquilisers? Guess I don't know that much after all.

Anti psychotics are major tranquilisers. (i am not entirely sure what that means) They alter the chemicals in the brain, they mainly affect levels of dopamine. I take anti psychotics and find them quite good i only take low doses and they still make me very sleepy. You can read bout medications here

www.bpdworld.org/medications.php

Take care and thanks for info eirianwen

Tory x

• 3 months later...

I'm on Lamictal (For Seizures), also a mood stabalizer, Zyprexa (anti- pyschotic), and Remeron (anti- depressant). If I don't take these I can be a seizuring maniac. I may be on meds for the rest of my life. Right now the docs are toying with my meds to see what works for me. I don't want to be on any...I hate them.. :(

Angela - sodium valproate is an anti-epilepsy drug wihch is used as a very effective mood stabiliser - I am on quite a lot and it is very helpful. I think it works because of the effect it has on the neuro transmitters in the brain, keeping them stable and therefore stabilising neuro transmissions which cause mood swings. Also - some anti-psychotic drugs such as Largactil (not sure of clinical name) are also used in the same way but with a more tranquilising effect - I am also on these but I take them at night. My anti depressant is Lexapro (escitalopram oxalate) closely related to citalopram hydrochloride (Cipramil) but has a few minor molecule changes which make it a specifically targeting anti-depressant - I am also on a high dose of this but it is working extremely well in the depression dept (apart from the occasional up and downs)

Hope this has helped

Ginny

I was on lithium for 20 years.Lithium is good for euphoric type hypomania/mania and so so below baseline.It's a pile of crud for the mixed/agitated/dyphoric stuff.

Archived