Mental Health Forums

Gp's

Angela

Hi,

Well i went to my gp today to get mood stabilisers. I got there this afternoon after a really bad morning and explained my mood swings etc. and that i needed some medications to help with this (i have tried 5 different antidepressants and 4 different antipsychotics plus lorazepam, diazepam etc) but nothing has helped my moods, either that or i had too severe side-effects to continue taking them.

My doctor is a lovely person, but he seems to think that all my problems are because i live in england and that a month in india would sort me out. I have told him lots of times that my diagnosis is BPD, but he really doesn't understand what it is. Everytime i explain my mood swings & other symptoms, he says it is bipolar but i keep telling him it IS NOT. He said to me today that he can't treat my personality and that he didn't know what to do. i said i need a mood stabiliser but he kept trying to prescribe me more antidepressants & antipsychotics. He said that he wasn't qualified enough in mental health to be able to know what to prescribe, but my psychiatrist won't deal with my meds anymore as he says it gets confusing and conflicting when two people are prescribing, so he is leaving it up to my gp.

Anyway, he can't prescribe lithium because i have had thyroid problems with other medications, so he was at a loss. in the end, i suggested sodium valporate because i didn't want to go away with nothing and he prescribed it. I was so annoyed and frustrated when i came out. what am i supposed to do?

I'd really appreciate any feedback on this one.

Angela :angry:

I am sure your doctor is a lovely person, and I know it is quite different there than what it is here in the states.

I had been misdx'd as being bipolar, once at 12 and the second time was this year, by my family doctor. They really don't have the knowledge of mental health and medications. If your pdoc doesn't want to get rx's confused by 2 different docs writing them, go with the pdoc. Your pdoc will understand more what to do. You will get bunches of advice. Good luck, I'm sorry it didn't go so well today.

Hugs

Amy

Archived