Mental Health Forums

A Credo For Support

laxgirl

this is something I came across today...had been given a copy a long while ago, but it had disappeared...don't know why, but just felt an urge to add it here...feel free to move, edit, or delete...

A CREDO FOR SUPPORT

Throughout history, people with physical and mental disabilities have been abandoned at birth, banished from society, used as court jesters, drowned and burned during the inquisition, gassed in Nazi Germany, and still continued to be segregated, institutionalized, tortured in the name of behavior management, abused, raped, euthanized, and murdered.

Now, for the first time, people with disabilities are taking their rightful place as fully contributing citizens. The danger is that we will respond with remediation and benevolence rather than equity and respect. And so we offer…

A CREDO FOR SUPPORT

Do not see my disability as the problem. Recognize that my disability is an attribute.

Do not see my disability as a deficit. It is you who see me as deviant and helpless.

Do not try to fix me because I am not broken.

Support me. I can make my contribution to the community in my own way.

Do not see me as your client. I am your fellow citizen.

See me as your neighbor. Remember, none of us can be self sufficient.

Do not try to modify my behavior.

Be still and listen. What you define as inappropriate may be my attempt to communicate with you in

the only way I can. Do not try to change me. You have no right.

Help me learn what I want to know. Do not hide your uncertainty behind “professional” distance.

Be a person who listens and does not take my struggle away from me by trying to make it all

better. Do not use theories and strategies on me.

Be with me. And when we struggle with each other, let that give rise to self-reflection.

Do not try to control me. I have a right to my power as a person.

What you call non-compliance or manipulation may actually be the only way I can exert some control

over my life.

Do not teach me to be obedient, submissive, and polite. I need to feel entitled to say

no if I am to protect myself.

Do not be charitable towards me. The last thing the world needs is another Jerry Lewis.

Be my ally against those who exploit me for their own gratifications.

Do not try to be my friend. I deserve more than that.

Get to know me. We may become friends. Do not help me, even if it does make you feel good.

Ask me if I need your help. Let me show you how you can best assist me.

Do not admire me. A desire to have a full life does not warrant adoration.

Respect me, for respect presumes equity. Do not tell, correct and lead.

Listen, Support, and Follow. Do not work on me

Work with me.

Dedicated to the memory of Tracy Lattimer

By Norman Kunc

Emma Van der Klift

Archived