Mental Health Forums

Books

em

• 3 weeks later...

veronica decides to die - paulo coelho

I love that book. i bought it my s.worker for christmas one year but she never said she read it so prolly chucked it out.

Mrs Tree

• 2 months later...

If you want an easy book to read with some pleasant humour then you could try:

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella, I think this book was written about someone like me apart from the fact that I do not have a IQ on 156 :(

It is a light, easy and fun read if you are struggling with your concentration.

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella, I think this book was written about someone like me apart from the fact that I do not have a IQ on 156

Irrespective of IQ - it is FAB

All her books are

Pip

x

i have that book!i found it a great read,a little confusing trying to work out what was actually going on but great!

another book i thought was great is i never promised you a rose garden by hannah green,a member of staff recommended it too me once when i was in hospital,i found it a little hard to get into at first(that and im not a big fan of reading or books)but found it quite inspirational as i got further in.x

The Bitch Godess Notebook...I loved that book!

Veronica Decides To Die is an excellent book!

The His Dark Materials Trillogy by Philip Pullman, is a truly amazing read!

I love the Harry Potter Books! But I'm just a big kid at heart!

Get Me Out of here, by Rachel Reiland is a really good read about bpd.

Life Size, by Jennifer Schute.

My Body My Enemy, by Claire Beeken. Both anorexia books, but really well written, and very insightful.

Any Torey Hayden book!

I never promised you a rose garden is a beautiful and elloquently written book.

Argh! So many...I could go on all day! I like to read! Lol

ditto jopo, about going on with this one all day!

Are we tring to limit ourselves to just the MH genre? or does anything go? (which may become unwieldy very quickly)

just asking to know,... although the answer is prolly a group consensus kind of thing.

When Rabbit Howls by The Troops for Truddi Chase -about DID

Skin Game by Caroline Kettlewell- about sh

Crazy,

If I remember correctly, when this was added we were discussing all books...just ideas of good books for people to read irrespective of topic.

Pip, my copy of Marly and Me arrived this morning, I will let you know shortly what I think of it...it looks fun.

I agree with most peoples comments: Veronic Decides To Die - is excellent. I liked this Alchemist too.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am reading books by Jodi Picoult, I'm reading 'Vanishing Acts' at the moment but my favourite books by her are The Pact & My Sisters Keeper. I've heard that 'The Bell Jar' is a really good book, I'd love to read it.

Veronica decides to die is good. all his books are good.

i am reading "1001 nights"...you call it:Arabic nights,i guess.........

and "the secret" by Osho. it's about mysticism.

just finished a novel by Christopher Frank :Mortelle

• 3 months later...

My psychologist recommended the book 'Why Love Matters: how affections shapes a babies brain' by Sue Gerhardt. I have read sections of it so far but it is interesting. It is a psychology book and it is attempting to be the lay persons guide to brain development and is specifically looking at attachments and emotional issues...it goes quite a way to explaining how attachment problems, like the ones I experience and no doubt many other people here suffer with. It does not give a quick fix solution, but, if you are like me and good with logic and like to understand the science behind our issues then this is a good book.

I'm reading...

I hate you, don't leave me - about bpd

sometimes i act crazy - about bpd

emotional intelligence

self matters - dr phil (i hate him, but i figure it's a good place as any to start with the self thing)

is "i never promised you..." to do with people with mental illness?

Fave books:

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (bloody hard work though)

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

All Harry Potter books

Just finished:

Get me out of here - Rachel Reiland

still reading:

A short history of tractors in Ukrainian (it's not actually about tractors!)

We need to talk about Kevin - Lionel Shrivers (very good book, disturbing but good)

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky (been reading it off and on for about 2 years! I have to keep starting again)

Next on the list for reading:

The Master and the Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov

Cat Confidential: The book your cat would want you to read

Cats from the Scandinavian Woods: A Study of Norwegian Forest Cats

For almost all of last year I couldn't read either because I was too depressed or because on Lithium I have a huge problem with words and it's taken quite a long time to sort it out but after carrying a dictionary round with me for months I'm now able to read again.

Archived