Mental Health Forums

Books

em

'The bell jar' by Sylvia Plath?[/quote]

no i havent. who is the author?

:lol:

sorry samsung - that really made me laugh

The bad mothers handbook by kate long and swallowing grandma - really good

Hey Badger, I love Dostoyevski... have you read "notes from underground" or "the double"?? they are a lot lighter reading than "crime and punishment", but i read the later and the last few chapters totally rock and are full of suspense.

"the double" is about the psychological decline of this guy... one of his earlier and less buffed works but definitely one of my favorites... it incorporates altered perceptions of reality... really cool.

i second the note that Sophie Kinsella's books are all great! they cracked me up. they make great light reading.

right now i'm reading Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and its really good so far.

the Alchemist by Paula Coelo is really great too.

also loved The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve.

• 3 months later...

I have just read 'Bloodletting' by Victoria Leatham...I just thought I would tell people here what a good book it was..well I thought it was. For all us self harmers here it can be quite an insightful read...if you are like me then it could be like reading your own diary...for me it was just nice to know that someone else experiences life though the same patterns as myself, I am contemplating letting my mother read it, I think it would enlighten her about what my world is like...of course, other people might hate the book, I think it is worth mentioning though.

Jane :)

Hey Badger, I love Dostoyevski... have you read "notes from underground" or "the double"?? they are a lot lighter reading than "crime and punishment", but i read the later and the last few chapters totally rock and are full of suspense.

"the double" is about the psychological decline of this guy... one of his earlier and less buffed works but definitely one of my favorites... it incorporates altered perceptions of reality... really cool.

The Idiot is an excellent Dostoevsky.. Crime and Punishment is pretty heavy going, but decent..

I'd recommend..

Manufacturing Consent: The political economy of the mass media by Noam chomsky is positively riveting, if you like that sort of thing..

Non fiction wise, I'd recommend House of Leaves, which is an awesome book if you can get over the odd format. It's quite different.. and I really enjoyed it..

any Harry potter and any tess geritsen then Im sorted.

Just finished the new jodi picoult the tenth circle. I will warn you its got rape, self harm, adultery and suiccide in it

I'm reading...

I hate you, don't leave me - about bpd

sometimes i act crazy - about bpd

emotional intelligence

self matters - dr phil (i hate him, but i figure it's a good place as any to start with the self thing)

is "i never promised you..." to do with people with mental illness?

my sister and i did self matters by dr phil. we did all the exercizes. we both hated him too.lol

but then, when we were done with the process we loved him.lol

it was hard, and its important to follow warnings he gives in bold letters.

after the work we did we felt better, but the changes we made took some time before it helped our daily lives

I'm reading...

Just finished that book and its bloody amazing! Well worth a read!!

It gets you thinking alot to about yourself and how you portray yourself and whats actually going on in your head.

I repeat bloody brilliant read!

I'm reading...

Just finished that book and its bloody amazing! Well worth a read!!

It gets you thinking alot to about yourself and how you portray yourself and whats actually going on in your head.

I repeat bloody brilliant read!

i also just finished it, but i didnt care for it too much. it wasnt of any help to me.

Archived