Mental Health Forums

Mindfulness

Daisy

I hope that is it ok to post a reply to the topic http://www.bpdworld.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=1277&hl= that was started in the ASK THERPIST forum here... I am currently completing the module of MINDFULNESS *sp* As part of my DBT MODULE for the Second time around and i just wanted to post my lil view on it, if thats ok :(

Mindfulness or being mindful is being aware of your present moment. You are not judging, reflecting or thinking.

You are simply observing the moment in which you find yourself. Moments are like a breath. Each breath is replaced by the next breath. You're there with no other purpose than being awake and aware of that moment. As John Kabit Zinn says reflecting on a Japanese mindfulness puzzle: "Wherever you go, there you are."

If you start by being aware of your breath, you know it comes and goes. It is like the end of one wave from among the endless ocean waves. They continue to come and disappear to be followed by another and another and another. They come. They disappear. They come, they end, they flow back to be covered by another incoming wave. You can hear the sound. It's rhythm puts the mind into a trance, and you go far away but wherever you go, there you are.

It sounds like a difficult concept for some people to grasp esxpcially if you havnt heard of it before but mindfullness is BEIGN AWARE more then SELF COUNSCIOUS its NOTICING but NOT OBSERVING OR JUDGING

It can be used in so many parts of your life, not only for Emotions and trying to get through the hard time but for running, eating etc..etc...

I hope i make some sense but MINDFULLNES if you have the opportunity of reading up on it or even better Studying or Learning the Skills is probably the most valuable thing ive ever been taught and with practice it WILL help me GET through life nad live with my illness, thats what its about right, living a full life even with BPD cause its not gonna go away!

MIDNFULLNESS iS BEING AWARE.

Hope this was ok to reply

Katy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that is it ok to post a reply to the topic http://www.bpdworld.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=1277&hl= that was started in the ASK THERPIST forum here... I am currently completing the module of MINDFULNESS *sp* As part of my DBT MODULE for the Second time around and i just wanted to post my lil view on it, if thats ok  :(

Mindfulness or being mindful is being aware of your present moment. You are not judging, reflecting or thinking.

You are simply observing the moment in which you find yourself. Moments are like a breath. Each breath is replaced by the next breath. You're there with no other purpose than being awake and aware of that moment. As John Kabit Zinn says reflecting on a Japanese mindfulness puzzle: "Wherever you go, there you are."

If you start by being aware of your breath, you know it comes and goes. It is like the end of one wave from among the endless ocean waves. They continue to come and disappear to be followed by another and another and another. They come. They disappear. They come, they end, they flow back to be covered by another incoming wave. You can hear the sound. It's rhythm puts the mind into a trance, and you go far away but wherever you go, there you are.

It sounds like a difficult concept for some people to grasp esxpcially if you havnt heard of it before but mindfullness is BEIGN AWARE more then SELF COUNSCIOUS its NOTICING but NOT OBSERVING OR JUDGING

It can be used in so many parts of your life, not only for Emotions and trying to get through the hard time but for running, eating etc..etc...

I hope i make some sense but MINDFULLNES if you have the opportunity of reading up on it or even better Studying or Learning the Skills is probably the most valuable thing ive ever been taught and with practice it WILL help me GET through life nad live with my illness, thats what its about right, living a full life even with BPD cause its not gonna go away!

MIDNFULLNESS iS BEING AWARE.

Hope this was ok to reply

Katy  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Katy,

What a helpful post! I have been working on this stuff for some time, using Buddhist books etc, but I don't know of the course that you are on. Have you a link?

For sufferers like ourselves it is vital that we can be aware of the sudden changes in mood that we have, and recognise them quickly enough to let them pass. Back in the bad old days I would act on a reaction. Now I feel the reaction but don't act. I have made myself a space in which I can think before acting. It takes a lot of work to get to this, and there are some relapses, but it's worth it.

Like you say, mindfulness is the best thing I have ever learned.

Good luck :)

Wow thanks COOLEr and VERBENA for the nice reply to that.

Midnfullness is the best thing ive learnt.

Cooler - u asked what course I was in.

I am learning Mindfullness from my DBT COURSE

Mindfullness is the FIRST of the 4 Modules of the program and I am very lucky that I was able to skip a little of the waiting list and get into it pretty quickly thier is a 12-18mnt old wait most times and its at my psyc hospital were I see my psyciatrist.

DBT is i guess the most common used or recognised therpay that has REUSLTS for BPD pateints and Mindfullnes is the start of that!!!

ANyone who can do this should give it a go.

Thanks

katy

Archived