Mental Health Forums

Theraputic Communities

Angela

My sister was at Webb House in Crewe (before it shut down). I think it was okay for her. It's afterwards that's the hard part. Having been in that safe environment for a year (and she was only allowed exactly 1 year) she found it very hard to readjust to being in the outside world again. That's the only note of caution I'd give anyone.

Cloudy

Hi. My psych has just told me today that she wants me to join a therapeutic community....it isn't an inpatient one, its 5 days a week but u go home at night. Feel totally confused and messed up by the whole thing so I'd appreciate any thoughts on it too. She says i'd have to commit for a year. I've failed at everything else they have tried on me and apparently this is my only hope. Psych said she still has hope in me, the problem is I need hope in myself to bother going through with all this and spending each day with so much pain, but I really don't think hope is on my side right now, I can't seem to see or feel it anywhere. And if you don't have hope what have you got???????

Cloudy, you said your sister found it hard to readjust which is understandable.....once she had readjusted how were things? Did it help her change things? You don't have to answer. I'm just wondering what they do to you in that year to sort you out....I mean is it gonna cure you? I doubt that very much. Can't see there ever being a cure to all this fucking pain and hurt and deep deep sadness :(:(:(

Sorry :blush:

Hi Angela, I had to edit your post slightly cos external links aren't allowed on the forum. Thanks for telling me about that hospital, I'm going to have a look now. *hugs* x

Yeah I will, I've had a quick look but I've got myself into such a state tonight I can't think straight. I'll have another look when I'm feeling less like the world is about to end!

Thanks x

Twilight - I'm not quite sure how to put this really. Sadly my sister didn't readjust due to the total lack of a proper support network. She actually committed suicide in August.

I'm not saying this would necessarily happen to anyone else, but you need to be sure you will be properly supported at the end of treatment. I think it was the fact that she was only allowed a year and no more, and then she felt very abandoned at the end of it.

She definitely made some progress there - they do things like art therapy and stuff. It sounds different to what you've been offered though, because she was an inpatient. Good luck with everything.

Cloudy

Hi Cloudy, thanks for the reply. I'm really sorry to hear about your sister, it must all feel very raw still. I know how hard it is to lose someone like that. The support networks are dreadful sometimes. I really appreciate you giving your view on this, I am seeing the psychotherapist tomorrow so I will ask about support when the year is up. It seems crazy they expect you to go from that level of support to nothing.

(((((cloudy))))) Thanks again

Hugs xx

I have often wondered if a community like that would be of benifit to my health. They seem very indepth..i would be scared of being let down at the end but from my expreince so far i am not left alone at the end of a treatment anway....

but it is good hearing some people's expereinces of it all.

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone has been or is an inpatient in a theraputic community?  I am just curious as to what it is like.

Angela  -_-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

must be horrible :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

when i read the initial post i wanted to reply and tell people how amaizing tc's are and how my stay in one saved my life, but as i read on i felt sick. i went to webbhouse and i want to tell cloudy how sorry i am for your loss. i wasnt in therapy with your sister but i new of her and met her a few times, and the people in therapy with her new her as a very caring person and i know she will be greatly missed. only the other wk one of the staff was telling me that no matter how bad things were she would always say" the show must go on." she was a very strong and couragous person, cloudy i hope in time things get easier for you and i hope you can take some comfort from your sisters words. x

sassy - it's nice to actually meet someone who knew my big sister. Those words sound very typical of her!

I have to go to her inquest on 24 November which will be hard, but I can't bear the thought of her being discussed without someone who loved her there.

Thank you for your kind words.

Cloudy

cloudy thats so brave of you, ill b thinking of u on that day, i hope it is managable for you. i dont know if anyone from webb is gonna go but if they do introduce yourself to them, im sure some of them loved her too, theyll understand you. take care x

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to talk to anyone with experience of being in webb house or any type of theraputic community. I went to one and went completely off it in there and having major problems coming to terms with things i learned in there my feelings etc. I hurt people and myself with my behaviour and wish i could change thhings.

Angelface - I think different people have different experiences. My sister, for instance, didn't cope very well once she had finished her year at Webb house, but Sassy who has posted above says that her stay saved her life.

Take care

Cloudy

Angelface - I think different people have different experiences.  My sister, for instance, didn't cope very well once she had finished her year at Webb house, but Sassy who has posted above says that her stay saved her life.

Take care

Cloudy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankyou for your response, i am so sorry that things didn't work out for your sister and for you. You take care

Archived