Mental Health Forums

Night Terrors

calyps

It can happen up to 5 times a week. It always happens between 4 and 6 am. I am asleep, and I wake myself up because I can't breathe. I realise I'm breathing way too quickly so I try to slow down, but as soon as I do I get the most intense stabbing pain through my head, like a sword being driven through my forehead and out the other side. This can happen for up to 40 mins. I feel myself getting panicked because I can't breathe, and the pain hurts so much I can't see. I can't stop coughing. This has happened for the last 4 years. They're basically panic attacks that I have in my sleep, and I don't know what I'm dreaming about before they happen so I feel I have no control over them. I find breathing into a paper bag helps (the increase carbon dioxide levels of your blood causes your brain to overide your conscious breathing and slow it down- I'm sorry, I don't know when I turned into such a science geek). Trying to function for the rest of the day is a trial. My social worker calls them night terrors and knows 2 others (both women) who have them. Everything I've looked up about night terrors refers to it as something that only happens in children, and that they stay asleep throughout the whole episode and eventually grow out of it with no ill effects (lucky bastards). Does anyone else have these or any thoughts in general?

Hi Eirianwen,

They sound horrific. I've woken up a few times and felt like I am being strangled, but never as frequently as you are experiencing them. It is very scary when it happens but it is good that you have found breathing into a paper bag helpful.

Could you try any relaxation techniques before you go to bed?

Angela x

That's a really good idea. I'm trying to get myself into a routine for going to bed because my sleep is awful. I'm trying to sit zazen, a thing a read about in a book on zen, it's supposed to help with being mindful which is one of the core skills for DBT.

ahh ok, sounds good.

You could also try progressive muscle relaxation, don't know if you have heard of it. It is where you lie down and squeeze your toes tightly and hold it for a short while, then let go. You work your way up your whole body tensing and relaxing to teach your body to relax because you can't be tense and relaxed at the same time. But sometimes (as i'm sure you know), it can feel like you are neither. This technique reinforces the difference between tense and relaxed.

Sorry - a lot of tensing and relaxing! :lol:

Hope this helps,

Angela x :lol:

((((eirianwen)))) I've heard of night terrors before and they sound awful. Its weird, I was reading about them earlier today cos I was looking up sleep paralysis which i get sometimes (v scary!). This book (Counting Sheep: the science and pleasures of sleep and dreams) mentioned that u are more likely to suffer from night terrors or paraysis if you are tired....bit of a vicious circle I think!! As u said night terrors seem to be more in children but this book says "although in adults they may be symptomatic of anxiety, stress or depression". Anyway, not sure any of that is of any use!

As Angela said, progressive muscular relaxation can really help. Exercise in early evening is supposed to be good to...but I never quite manage that one :lol:

Its good you've found the paper bad thing helps you. But 5 times a week is a lot, have you been to your doctor about it?

Take care xx

No I haven't been to the Dr- I'm really crap and always forget half the stuff I'm supposed to say. I have heard of the progressive relaxation (but I didn't know it was called that) but I will try. Exercise is a bit of a pain in the ass- I had my ankle fused a year ago, 3 months in plaster, 6 months on crutches. I've only run twice and I wouldn't really class it as that!. I want to try swimming but I get scared I 'll slip on the wet floor, also It really hurts to walk barefoot on hard surfaces, and there's the whole body scar thing. Maybe I should try yoga! I live in an attic flat so I can hold onto the slopy ceiling for balance- let it not be said that I allow obstacles to get in my way....I hate how crap sarcasm is written down.

Ahhh yeah, I always have that problem when I go to the doc! I take a list now and give it to him as soon I walk in the room (*sigh* from him!). So u got a good excuse for not doing exercise! Swimming would be a good idea cos thats not putting pressure on your foot and its very relaxing. I am supposed to get back into swimming but still haven't, always find an excuse, especially now cos of scars as u say. Think it would really help though in terms of relaxing in the evening. Yoga is a good idea. I've started tai chi recently, its very relaxing and calming, although I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on it for a 2 hour class. Theres a lot of info to take in and you are supposed to focus your mind for 2 hours...mine wonders after 2 minutes!

Hope u find something that helps. I do think a talk with the doc might help though cos it must be really exhasuting you. Take care xxx

With the 'sigh', did you get the 'you again' look? I did actually take a list to the Doctor with me last time and he told me we'd get through what we could but if I had a lot of things I should book a double appointment! I didn't even know you could do that! I did a few tai chi lessons a couple of years ago and found it impossible to concentrate. I was relaxing and I liked doing all flowing movements but didn't feel it made any kind of difference in my head. Maybe it's one of those things you have to keep at. The guy who ran the class said that really practiced people go into a trance-like state, kind of at peace. As for swimming- where is it written that you have to wear a swimming costume? And if it's not, can I get away with a wetsuit? If it wasn't so cold (and rank) I'd swim in the sea!

yes, with the sigh definately came the 'oh no, not you again' look!! i didn't know you could book double sessions....they keep that quiet don't they! Yeah, as for tai chi, i'm the same, i enjoy the flowing of it but my head seems to still be going 100mph! I find remembering the moves really hard too as I have the memory of a goldfish :blink: Yeah I've seen ppl get soooo relaxed by it which is why i wanted to try it...think it takes a lot of work and practice though which i don't seem to have the patience for. By ex was v good at it and he just seemed to be miles away while he was doing it, very focused. But theres also a lot of theory to it which i don't really understand. Hey a wetsuit sounds good! might look a little odd at the local pool though :lol: Yeah swimming in the sea sounds much better!

Anyway, go to the doc and make him listen!! thats what they get paid a small fortune for!

Hugs xxx

Archived