Mental Health Forums

Making Progress...?

cloudyfox

Hi guys

Just to let you know I will be having my first meeting with the Community Mental Health Team next week. I feel pretty scared since I've been avoiding dealing with my problems for so long.

The lady from the CMHT who rang me was very nice. She gave me a crisis number and said my GP is very concerned about me. I don't really know what to expect from them though. Does anybody have any advice?

Cloudy :unsure:

This is a fantastic step you have taken. Firstly- Don't worry about a thing. It's all very hard to talk about anything or make sense of anything, but these are people that are trained to help us. They've seen it all before and worse. The more you tell them the more they can help, of course. I've been with my CMHT for almost 3 years now. To begin with I had a Social Worker who I saw every week. She was basically my contact with the Psychiatrist who is head of the team. I also had a CPN for a while, but have another Social Worker who is amazing. But then I think I find it easier to 'use' her because I am feeling so much better. They are going to provide you with support, which I s what you need. Well, ideally, you need a wave of a magic wand, but you know, next best thing take what you can and all. Don't really feel like I've given you any advice as such, just want to you know that I think it's really great, a positive step forward and think you'll find they are very understanding but also realistic about what it's like to live with mental health problems.

Hi,

It is frightening to start with but cmht are usually really good. They cant make it all ok straight away (no magic cures) but they are often good support. I have seen a crisis team twice and they are good. I have had several CPNs and they are usually easy to talk to and very supportive.

Good luck and i hope it works out ok!

Tory x

Archived