Mental Health Forums

Hi Folks

cooler

Hi folks,

Just found the site, and I'm glad I did.

Over the years I have been diagnosed with neurasthenia, depression, anxiety disorder and panic disorder. I have also diagnosed myself with OCD.

I have coped reasonably with all this stuff, but always felt sort of disjointed and unsure about what was going on medically.

Tonight I found BPD on a website and ended up here. No surprise there then. It fits like a glove. I have learned a few strategies to cope with the various symptoms I get, but this is a different thing altogether. It feels like at last I'm knocking on the right door.

Cooler :)

Welcome Cooler!

(just wanted to say though, be wary of diagnosing yourself as symptoms of different disorders/illnesses can often cross over. Make sure to talk to a professional before self-diagnosing).

:D

Welcome Cooler!

(just wanted to say though, be wary of diagnosing yourself as symptoms of different disorders/illnesses can often cross over.  Make sure to talk to a professional before self-diagnosing).

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Angela,

That's a good point. I think that my concern over diagnosis is that previous doctors have given me different diagnoses at different times, according to whatever tick box lists they used. That was not a reassuring experience.

My positive response to this site was that I am ticking all the boxes, not just some of them. The explanatory power of the BPD description is very clear, and it fits my deceased father too. It's like getting the whole picture in one go, and it is very useful in putting life experiences in context.

A good thing too is that many of the BPD symptoms are ones which I have managed to control or even defeat over the years. Nowadays I get the feelings but don't have to act on them. My wife and daughter are very clear with me on this.

Here is a final, maybe controversial point. At this time I am diagnosed with depression and panic disorder, and I retired from teaching on that basis a few years ago. Would I want to have a formal diagnosis of "Borderline Personality Disorder"? The answer is "No, I wouldn't." That's not because I feel stigma towards sufferers, but because I know that there is a lot of stigma out there, and I don't need the extra burden.

There are very few people that I tell about my illness anyway; I just say that I'm retired. It's easier for others and this then makes it easier for me.

A friend of mine who works in the health service said that the stigma of mental health is even greater than the stigma of death, in society today. My feeling is that it was ever thus.

Good luck :)

Archived