Mental Health Forums

Poll

verbena

Very occasionally, but I don't NEED to more like want to so sometimes i don't smoke for like 6 weeks but then will smoke a lot in a week then stop again.

I'm not sure why I ask...the question just came into my mind, probably wondering whether it was another addiction I could blame on BPD. Anyway, I asked Joshua to do a poll, but he told me to do it my own fat, lazy self. So I did.

Nah, I have never smoked. Sorry if this doesn't support your poll. One strange thing though - every time I have been in hospital, about 90% of other people in there smoked very heavily and spent the majority of their time in the smoking lounge!

Nah, I have never smoked.  Sorry if this doesn't support your poll.  One strange thing though - every time I have been in hospital, about 90% of other people in there smoked very heavily and spent the majority of their time in the smoking lounge!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Angela,

That's a good point. I used to work in a day centre for young disabled people and nearly everyone smoked. Also I think there is a lot of smoking in prisons and homeless centres and stuff. Soldiers often smoke a lot too. It's pretty obvious that this is something people turn to under stress. Maybe nicotine really is a stressbuster, although that would be controvertial view these days.

Interesting though.

Cooler :)

I gave it up.

I only ever smoked once and I was very drunk at the time.

Both times I have been an in patient I have noticed that the majority of the other patients also smoked - as did the staff!

smoke 1/2 a pack a day. sometimes more if i'm out with friends. started when i was 15...but i'd quit for awhile than start up again. the longest i quit was for 3yrs.

smoke about a pack a day. been smokin' since i was 17 (i'm 23 now). seems like there is a huge percent of people with mental illnesses that smoke (at least that's what i've seen). it's better than doing some of the other things they could be doing or would like to do, however it's not good to smoke!

~kristy

Started smoking at 12. Gave up at 15. Started again at 21. Gave up when pregnant at 24. Took it back up at 25. Haven't given up for more than two months ever since. 32 yo now. Smoke 20+ per day.

Jacinta :(

Oops - forgot - gave it up cold turkey both times for 5 years and nearly two years respectively - have been trying to give up with nicorettes since 26 (six years). But I think my willpower is less than when I was younger - not that nicorettes are less effective. ^_^

Cheers,

Jacinta

Started smoking when I was nineteen---in my forties now. gave up once with the help of hypnosis which made it feel really easy but effect wore of and started again six months later. Smoke twenty or more aday. The more depressed/anxious I am the more I smoke. I,m smoking lots just now.

Juaier

Archived