Mental Health Forums

Girl Interrupted

paddypotty

Absolutely bored to tears,teetering on the edge of falling down into the dark soon,so what do I do I go and watch Girl Ininterrupted again.The only character I have anything in common with is the character Lisa and shes the baddie,could that be cos Im the baddie too?Or am I just scondered and needing an excuse to hate myself,shit think I will go watch something cheerful like requiem for a dream perhaps.

Its official I hate any day with the letter y in it.

Patricia

and it becomes worse when you really quite like Lisa even though shes the baddie.Need to find something suitably uplifting to watch.

patricia

You have to move to Germany, Patricia!

Not one single day with a y! You would love life here.

I've only seen Girl, Interrupted once and back then I was still relatively sane.

Trying to think of a film that isn't insultingly happy and still positive.... hmmmm.....

I'll watch Wilbur wants to kill himself soon and then tell you if it's suitable!

Eva

Just realised I'm a loyal member now!!!!!!!

i think it's a good film, but there are some aspects to it which i don't like much... won't bore you to tears with that

but a thought occurs... watching material like that is de-stabilising for us lot

let's stick to happy films??!! that we can't relate to!!!! lol

i find myself drawn to films about MI all too often when i'm on a downer. i'm trying to learn to resist that like i'm learning to resist SH. it doesn't help, and isn't positive.

anyway. my take. good film though~!!!

love, losty x

I do agree with you lost in a way...When i first read your reply i thought i can't watch happy films when i am low it is too at odds with my emotions and doesn't fit the mood then i thought this is actually a DBT skill change the moment and do things that are at odds with your emotions...so you may well be onto something....You do it and let us know how it goes ;)

Mrs Tree

yep that's right - opposite to emotion actions

do what you DON'T feel like doing, when down in the dumps

it is something that i have tried mrs tree. it was very difficult at first. like the sh reduction - that was fucking hard too. but it's like anything... the more you do it the easier it becomes. it becomes the predominant habit - and after a while, you think of doing the 'oppoiste to emotion action' before thinking about the indulgent options. so in the end it just feels natural to take care of yourself.

i don't know about the rest of you, but i have been a complete master at being able to take some action to make myself feel worse, and a complete dunse at taking care of myself, and making things better

if there is one useful thing about dbt it's that attention it pays to all the little acts of sh that you do everyday. even watching a triggery film when you know it will only make you feel worse seems like SH to me now.

perspective?

anyway. my recommendations are clear...

love to you x lost x

Losty,

im loving your recommendations....hmmmmm, now how do it again? i have such a miserable collection of movies, currently enjoying Donny Darko..over and over again...still its not Dying Young, or Ordinary People or Betty Blue, to name a few in my derranged collection...you are right, how easy is it to reach for misery when we are in that place...

i did try by getting Pingu last year..no speach just actions but i find myself getting lost in the plot when im really down!!

i think its lunch time before i write more dribble..

You are all right,

But it is hard and I am weak.

I am watching Girl,Interrupted just now.

Not only that, I have it on repeat.

Even worse, I am on the biggest downer ever.

Please shoot me now.

Pip

x

I love Girl, Interrupted too. It's such a great film and the book is brilliant but like everyone else I seem to reach for it when I'm low or feel like I need some understanding. If that makes any sense.

But Pip - enjoy your viewing but if you are in Scotland it's braw weather outside, why don't you go for a walk and get an ice cream - just like the girls!

it's a cool flick. have you tried writing? maybe you can start that instead of watching a movie. start a story of some kind to distract your mind. I don't know, I'm new to all this. feel free to slap me. :unsure:

it's a great word isn't it? diagnonsense... fantastic!

my favourite part of the film is when the girl with the eating disorder is in dance class and they're all acting like they're trees in the wind, and she starts stressing cos one of the other girls has been allowed to go home. she starts yelling and ends up sitting down on the floor in a huff. the teacher says to her 'what sort of tree can you be down there on the floor?' and she just says 'i'm a fucking shrub ok? i'm a fucking shrub!'

lol lol lol. that fucking cracked me up. ooooh getting urges to watch it now. but i won't! i won't!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, so tempted.

x

You know what I love to watch? Casualty and Holby City and Doctors. It's all so stupid that I don't need to concentrate (impossible most of the time) and they all have strange problems. The occasional mental health problem right enough but not then mostly with positive outcomes :)

It's just my luck that they cancelled both holby city and casualty on bbc prime :(

I don't have that film problem anyway. I never want to watch triggery films actually. (Found something to be proud of, I'm not getting EVERYTHING wrong)

I write when I feel okay. When I feel down I just start writing about how miserable someone feels and then don't know how to get on from there so I gave up on trying. Write diary at times though to release tension.

:lol: I thought that the fact I have the concentration span of a goldfish that has alzheimer's and has under gone ect, was a bad thing.

use a bit of positive thinking and it turns out I don't/can't watch films that could be triggers :lol:

Watching happy films when I'm low gets me really angry and bitchy.

I love girl, interrupted, too- Love the shrub part, too. My other favorite part is when they're in the ice-cream shop

and the "chicken" girl slaps the "normy" girl's icecream across the room-- Get that out of my face, asshole! lol lol :lol:

What makes me feel better are the movies about weird people being accepted, like

"An angel at my table" about Janet Frame or Willie Wonka Chocolate factory, the new version.

Prozac nation is good, too, with Christina Ricci.

The most triggery film for me was "Unleashed" with Jet Li.

Oh, something else, most of us are intellectually and emotionally complicated people,

its not like we're going to be satisfied with Disney movies all the time.

As long as you can do it healthy, why not :)

Unleashed was weird and good and disturbing....

Alpha im with you, movies that seem to have people in that are outside society suit me fine, i dont feel so bloody alone then...

sorry mini rant over, i've been in the midst of major ranting for a few days now...drrrr, hence my posts have been verging on bad stupid , not good stupid....

sorry again someone stole my fingers

I'm straight and I used to love films about gay teenagers coming to terms with their sexuality/their being different from others and the world around them like Beautiful Thing or Get Real.

Still think they're great.

And I love period drama :P

Archived