Mental Health Forums

I Am Low, Very Low

abbynormal

Oh this is so hard. I haven't been able to post. I have another appt today and my head is so foggy I can't think straight.

I am really scared.

I am in such physical pain... t says body is remembering. You guys have so much and don't need my weird story. I am sure I will feel better soon. Its just hubby is gone and am all alone for now. Tomorrow is our anniversary... and he won't even be here but i know he will make up for it. talk sometime

Abby

I am in such physical pain... t says body is remembering. You guys have so much and don't need my weird story. I am sure I will feel better soon. Its just hubby is gone and am all alone for now. Tomorrow is our anniversary... and he won't even be here but i know he will make up for it. talk sometime

Abby

hi

weird story?

I LIKE WEIRD STORIES!!

how are you feeling today?

Therapy was good last night. Bets I do trust this one. He is great and so understanding. It just is hard. My story is hard Rachel. Maybe it would be therapy to finally get it out but my t says to give him 8 to 10 years.... ha ha ha ha Much better today. Thanks for asking Rachel!!!!

Abby

(((Abby)))

Am thinking of you.

Glad your new therapist is helping.

You know I am always here for you.

I might not be good with the mind - but I do give good dog advice!

Take Care

Pip

x

Hi Abby

I just read this thread. Sorry to hear about this horrible time you're going through. It is important work and you are facing it and engaging with it which means that you are incredibly strong and brave. How wierd about your body remembering. I had a strange physical reaction to something my therapist said once, maybe that was the same thing.

Stay strong.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BODY MEMORY

Body memory is the theory that the body itself is capable of storing memories, as opposed to only the brain. This is used to explain having memories for events where the brain was not in a position to store memories and is sometimes a catalyst for repressed memories recovery. These memories are often characterised with phantom pain in a part or parts of the body - the body appearing to remember the past trauma.

Contents [hide]

1 Symptoms

2 Criteria

3 Context

4 Explanation

5 Criticisms

6 External links

[edit]

Symptoms

The symptons for the syndrome are:

The presence of pain somewhere, possibly recurring, or any other atypical body phenomena

There being no explanation for that pain or other phenomena in present contexts, although possibly triggered by a location, sound, memory or other catalyst.

[edit]

Criteria

In order to gain a body memory, according to the theory, one simply needs to go through a traumatic experience and the body may store this memory in any place in the body that participated in the event - such as the arm, if it got burnt.

Some believe that a Body memory can even be from a past life and can have a physical manifestation, such as skin blistering[1]

[edit]

Context

Body memory is sometimes cited as evidence for sexual abuse. If this is the only evidence that person has, it may be because, at the time the abuse is claimed to have occurred, normal memory formation was not possible - such as if the victim was unconscious, or was a baby, or was in shock. Body memory does not need to preclude actual memory - and ongoing disabilities after a known trauma can sometimes be seen as body memory. The theory that bad experiences get imprinted could be seen as similar to the beliefs of Scientology.

For those who believe in repressed memory, body memory often forms part of the package of evidence. If a sexual abuse survivor, when recounting a story, suddenly finds breathing difficult, under body memory theory, this is the body remembering a moment in the abuse when breathing was difficult. In this way, a person who suffered past traumas continues to link present day ailments to the past trauma, often regardless of the time past since the event. There is seen to be no particular time limit or quantity limit to body memories.

The Courage to Heal, a book that encourages Repressed Memory Therapy, has the slogan "The body remembers what the mind forgets."[2]

[edit]

Explanation

One explanation is that the trauma is stored within the body's 'energy fields,'[3] which is a pseudoscientific explanation.

Body memory could be an ad-hoc explanation for normal body reactions. It may be a way of disassociating responsibility for a personal condition.

Few studies have been done on the subject.

[edit]

Criticisms

The theory of body memory is not supported by what is currently known as to how memory works and what non-brain organs are capable of doing.

[edit]

External links

http://bodymemory.com/index.htm

http://www.stopbadtherapy.com/main/smith/body.shtml

You guys are great....

Pip... I am sorry I am not here for you more...

Real....you are very sweet for writing...as you know it helps to have people respond.

Rachel.. you are a doll! That was very interesting. The scary part is not knowing if you are really sick. I got taken away yesterday at lunch in an ambulance cuz of one. My shrink came and said that it was not my meds... (yes I did start taking them again). So I went back to work but felt exhausted. Went home and slept and then went to therapy at 6PM. My alters came out and told my t that I had 4 body memories, but she called them something else. I really thought I was having a bad reaction to my meds and dying... One was shaking from extreme fear, one was having my arms pulled tight from being tied (know nothing else yet), one was from being cut, one from not being able to see for whatever reason. Hope this doesn't upset anyone...... Love to you all!

Abby

hi abby sounds like you re remembering some really traumatic stuff right now just remember to ground yourself and brealthe!.. htere must be a strong part of you that is ready to face these awful memories .. you are strong ..good you've got a good therapist to help you through.. we are here for you too. hugs ivy xx

Archived