Mental Health Forums

Meds And Weight Gain

bored-a-line

Hi,

Some medications can cause weight gain as a side effect, but everyone reacts differently to them. For some it may not cause a problem and for others it may. If a particular medication is causing any undesired side effects it is always best to talk to you doctor about the possibility of changing to one that is more suitable for you.

Take care

Em xxx

Certain anti-psychotics (esp. Olanzapine & Quetiapine) can make you more hungry and therefore likely to eat more and put on weight. They can also slow down your metabolism. Mood stabilizers can also cause weight gain. When I was on anti-psychotics, I put on 4 stones (and still haven't lost it) but this was because they were making me more hungry and I was eating lots (which didn't help my bulimia).

If you are taking such medications, just make sure you eat healthily and exercise regularly and you should be able to control weight problems.

Angela x x x

all the antipsychotics make me want to eat like someone who has hand plowed a field.. when in reality i havent been able to get out of my bed. i refuse to take them for that reason.

some of the antidepressents make me eat too.. so i am picky about which ones i will let the doc prescribe

like someone said.. ppl can react different to meds than others.. so my experience may not be yours.

bets

Since I have been on anti psychotices I have put on so much weight. I just can't stop eating. I was the same on Zipsin - ad's - but the craving sor sugar was worse than anything else.

Thought this was just me being a fat heiffer but hey if I can blame the meds then I will!

Archived