Mental Health Forums

"practical" Therapy

Athas

I had a session with my t today and one of the things we talked about was that there were so many things I couldn't do or was having a lot of trouble with and at some point she said she was just having the idea of having the upcoming session in the city and do some shopping and have me try on things... at first I thought she must be joking, but she told me this might actually be a good thing to do once she was back from vacation: that she went with me to places where I felt extremely uncomfortable or where I couldn't go at all to help me learn to cope.

I really like my t, not only as a therapist, but also as a person, but somehow her "access" has been restricted so far... I could tell her lots of things I wouldn't ever have told to anyone else, but the thing is, we only talked and it never went beyond the walls of whatever room we had the sessions in.

Somehow the idea seems... umm... weird to me. :unsure: I try to imagine her being with me in one of these shops like H&M or Orsay or whatever and her suggesting clothes which I'd never try on on my own... I don't know, somehow the thought freaks me out although I guess it can be a real help (if it's successful) for me to learn to cope in a better way. :sofa:

So my question is: has anyone of you done that before? Does anyone have a therapist who suggested that or even did it? If so, hoe was it? Did it help or was it just totally scary and weird?

i dont think it is totally wierd. it is desensitization, to stressful situations. usually it isnt done by your main therapist. personally that would make things harder for me. i want their room.. that is where i feel safe.. they shouldn't be out of it (really in my mind they never go beyond the appointment desk).

so i guess, no not wierd but strange that your t would suggest doing it with you. at least my oppion.

bets

I have currently been offered the same thing but with a support worker which I am still thinking about.

I have done it before as Betsy desribed...It is about achieveing goals.The last time I did it it was with a psychology asst. and although she was one of the staff in my DBT we mostly talked about how my skills could help me and talked tome as a distraction..

I wonder if you are fantaziing this a bit as I don't thimk any proffessional would make judgements on someone elses choice in clothes...I don't think it helped me last time in any signififcant way because i never consolidated any of my progress.

You could talk to her about the boudries of this when you see her

Good luck

Mrs Tree

mrs tree,

i could be wrong but i think she is talking about going into the "situation" of shopping or about being around people in general. but, like i said, i could be wrong.. lol.. it has happened before!

almost agoraphobia,

bets

Thats what i'm talking about 2 bets

my first goal was to go to the shop with her

my next to walk to the shop with her then me go in alone etc.

maybe i didn't explain myself well

Mrs Tree

I think it's fantastic that your therapist has offered it to you.

This is a very intense type of therapy, which is often very challenging but the rewards are great & for many people it's the best way for them to overcome problems, particularly with social anxiety - social phobia, etc.

It is also known as aversion or flooding therapy.

It's a great opportunity and I would advise you strongly to take it, because it is not offered to many people!

You could read thinks about it on the internet or in books to help you.

I haven't had this type of therapy but I have been studying psychology for over 2 years and I am currently doing my degree, and I have studied many types of therapy! xxx

mrs tree.. i guess the comment on " professionals making judgements on others clothes" threw me off. maybe it is because i am tired and should quit trying to make sense!

thax

bets

Archived