Mental Health Forums

Abusing Prescribed Medications

realscape

Sorry, I have probably completely lost the plot.

I never got into injecting when I was using heavy drugs. It never interested me because my first boyf was a smack head and it put me off the whole thing. I was never that hardcore.

But lately, I'm getting frustrated with my meds, for example diazepam and zopiclone. I have noticed that depending what time of day I take them, whether I've eaten, and other variables, sometimes they don't seem to work at all. This doesn't relate to tolerance as I had actually completely come off them for a while. I know zopiclone and diazepam are injectable and I'm thinking that is the most efficient way of taking them (since over 60% of any drug doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream through oral digestion anyway). Otherwise I've heard using them anally as a suppository is more effecting than swallowing them too. Has anyone ever injected meds?

Sorry if you all think I've lost the plot. I'm not a crazy junkie (honest) I just would like to be able to regulate my meds with a bit more control. I don't think my GP is gonna be falling overherself to answer this question!

I'd never thought of it, but I know what you mean, I seem to be able to take temazepam, diazepam, lorazepam and zopiclone and still not sleep!!!!!!!

Maybe rub on your gums for fastest absorption before youswallow it, I don't think injecting is the right way to go. Otherwise stick it up your bum and see what happens!!!!

Good luck,

Molly xxx

I know what you mean, when I've overeaten I can forget about taking my benzo, if at all it starts working about 4 hours later. I don't know about the rest though, but I should think your gp would be ok with you asking to get anal suppositories instead of pills. If you really want that!

I haven't but my DH used to be into hardcore drugs, before we had kids/were together, and he used to inject his cipramil. But he did it for the rush of the injection - and the effects were very short-lived from the meds.

I wouldn't recommend it. As someone who has had two caesarean births, I can vouch for the effectiveness of suppositories, lol. They are brilliant although uncomfortable to think about!

That would be a much better alternative, if available. if not, then I agree with Pip - just avoid your teeth because the chemicals will make them rot. My DH is still getting teeth removed because of chemicals that got onto his teeth - and he's been off any drug, legal or not now for 7 years.

Real....Meds made for injections and anal administration are not the same as tablet form....This is one of your worse ideas real

Mrs Tree

I think it is one of my worse ideas.

I am having lots of worse ideas at the moment.

I feel very self-destructive.

Very very very self-destructive.

I know how you feel. I once asked my doc had he given me placebos instead of real diazepam and zoplicone. He said no but I didn't believe him. Sometimes the drugs work sometimes they don't. I don't know why. Maybe it does depend on how much you've eaten or something. I try to be careful not to over use my meds but when I really need something to calm me down and they don't work I get so pissed off. Keep safe real (((hugs)))) Steph xo :wacko:

i wouldnt inject not good idea , but like others said sometimes no effect infact i think i've buit up tolerence to zopiclone i take about 8 a day jus to cope im worried im addicted and what effect days it have. i was told that i could be slowly poisoning myself,could that be true, can't im worried today juust curious luv Tabi

Hi Steph and Tabi

Yeh for sure we can build a tolerance altho the leaflets says that zopiclone isn't addictive my psychiatrist says I am mentally and physically addicted. And it depends on how your body is metabolising too, all meds work more quickly and effectively on empty stomach. One time, my GP prescribed propranalol betablocker to help with anxiety. It did absolutely nothing. I was suspicious, I took the whole box in one go and still nothing happened. I am certain they were passing me off a placebo.

All medication is slowly poisoning us as our liver and kidneys have to work hard to process them and they affect our body chemistry and also our fat cells store up toxic waste from medication too. However, I don't think its any worse than how our body has to process junk food or e-numbers or alcohol etc. Maybe wrong, probably need a chemist on site to illuminate (Pip?).

Can't remember the question!!!

Diazepam affects your short-term memory

-that explains me then!

DON'T INJECT

We do build up a tolerance to some drugs like zopiclone.

I have been on it for years

but you aren't meant to take it every night

It is good to miss the odd dose.

Diazepam and zopiclone are addictive.

Still don't know if I am answering the question.

Beta-blockers slow the heart and so should calm you down

they also lower blood pressure.

I took one before my driving test - and passed!

As long as we don't OD,

our organs should cope.

With some drugs bloods are meant to be taken

to monitor organ function

Other drugs you need your blood pressure testing regularly

eg effexor - but alot of GPs dont know this

I told mine!!! (Everhelpful)

Anyway - I don't know if I answered the question.

If not - tell me!

Love you all

Pip

x

PS

REAL PLEASE DON'T SELF-DESTRUCT

Pip

x

DEFO

Just remembered part of the question

- your metabolism affects the uptake of the drug.

So if your stomach is well full then it will take longer to get into your system

but you need to take some drugs on a full stomach - due to the way they work

All very complicated really

Thank God I am good at something!

Pip

x

I am quite sure you are all kidding that you would even consider that overdosing on any kind of meds is about the same as eating junk food,and that any of you would even consider injecting, it

I hear you realscape, and take care,feeling destructive is hard-what about going for jog or something. I know that sounds really patronising,its not meant to be, just trying to think of destraction techniques. Sometimes for me its just damage limitation

im really surprised so many people here are on benzo's like zoplicone,diazepam. Sounds really scary cos any psy experienced with bpd, wouldnt prescibe any of these drugs as they are so addictive for us, and so yes after awhile they build a tolerance, and peeps want more,

You are much better,to ask about being weened off them and being started on some other meds, which there are plenty which are plenty and which can be safetly be increased/decreased as we need acorrding to how we are(well actually that isnt the official line but the unofficial) line cos docs always give us a prescribed dose but some driugs you can alter

i am medical but not a pharmacist

take care

Sorry

have to say it

Zopiclone is not a benzo

It is an hypnotic

It has a half-life of 2.5 hours.

The hypnotics were developed cos they are safe in OD

They are different from benzos

Sedative yes, but act completely different to benzos

People are prescribed hypnotics cos SSRIs can affect sleep

Hypnotics are only meant to be used short term.

They are pretty harmless.

OK

lecture over

Pip

x

I think most people here are on other meds apart from benzos. And despite the addiction issue it is given to so many people here because of our anxieties, to give us a chance to cope.

I read just today that alprazolam (xanax) has even shown to be helping with bpd in studies. Other benzos haven't though as far as I know. And alprazolam helps against depression, too, unlike stuff like diazepam that can make it even worse.

And about tolerance as well, alprazolam only builds up a tolerance as far as its sedating effect is concerend but not it's effect against anxiety. Which makes it easy not to increase the dose unless it's about sleeping. Mental and physical dependence is another problem, of course, but hopefully most of our docs weigh the possible damage against the possible good effects before prescribing anything.

No one said od's are like junk food by the way. Just that taking prescribed doses of meds is comparable in as much as it adds chemical substances to our system that can cause damage in the long term.

Have to add....

Alot of pdocs prescribe zopiclone because it helps us to cope.

Inorder to live we have to cope

and you can't cope if your mind is doing 90

Diazepam is lso an anxiolytic

and so helps us cope.

It might not be ideal

but they are limited with budgets

and diaz is as cheap as chips

Although there are alternatives

docs tend to stay within the box

and only step out when meds cos us problems.

Pdocs do prescribe these drugs

and on the whole they do it with good intention

and tend to be following NICE or local trust protocol.

The above is fact

Sorry

Pip

x

Sorry more to come

Eva you are correct

Also

alot of drugs are prescribed safely off-liscence.

Stepping of my soapbox now

Pip

x

[

undefined
I took the whole box in one go and still nothing happened. I am certain they were passing me off a placebo.

All medication is slowly poisoning us as our liver and kidneys have to work hard to process them and they affect our body chemistry and also our fat cells store up toxic waste from medication too. However, I don't think its any worse than how our body has to process junk food or e-numbers or alcohol etc. .

I was first prescribed alprazolam about two years ago. It has helped me very often and I'm not addicted. I'm careful about it as I was instructed to be and keep what I take to a minimum.

But in general I don't really agree that an addiction makes things worse per se. Of course it makes things worse for someone who could have coped otherwise. But it's preferable to suicide or complete self destruction in my book. We've got more of a chance to live a good life again being living addicts then being dead without having tried to get through with the help of some 'dangerous' meds.

The normal dose of Zopiclone is 7.5mg which equals one tablet.

Therefore if someone take 8 - it is 8x the normal dose. You could take a thousand zopiclone and still live - shown in clinical studies.

Sorry to have the knowledge - but I am right.

Pip

x

i think i would be careful taking a whole script of any med because i thought the doc had prescribed a placebo. it has been my experience most doc's consider than unethical and would not do it. maybe that is just usa.

bets

PIp

I have never once mentioned overdose to kill oneself

but am talking about the need to keep taking more and more as they build up a resistance and become more addictive-this is even more harmful

Its about a 3month detox for valium,in a controlled environment,acompared to a two one for heroin

This is just causing more and more probs in itself,you dont sound like you have adiction probs if you can miss doses,many cant do that on zoplcone

you may be a pharmacist,and thats fine,but Im talking about working with people on ground level and what actually happens in reality,

I haventy checked the nice guidelines,but I can guarantee daizepam will be advised against if mentuioned at all,as all benzo will be, I know lots of people take zop.and I know Im being oversensitive cos I know so many people that have got addicted to it,both at work,and with friends

I still stand by the fact that there are lots of other very good meds which are sedating to avoid situations like thiis

yes I know zop comes as 7.5mgs dose but often people take 2-but if you want to be picky

I was trying not to make the situation any bigger than it is

A GP would only prescribe 7.5mg Zopiclone as that is within liscence.

A Pdoc might increase that.

Most GPs are frightened of CNS drugs and leave it to the Pdocs.

I know what happens in ad ideal situation and in reality.

I don't mean to be picky - I am stating the facts

-I am not having a go at you

I am trying to explain that most Pdocs have good intentions

BPD is rather uncharted ground

and we are all treated differently.

I wasn't suggesting ODing on Zopiclone

I was saying it is pretty harmless

I hope I haven't caused offense

The WHO (World Health Organisantion)

DOES actually suggest use of some benzos and hypnotics in some cases.

I have the book infront of me and have just checked it.

I understand your frustration re inadequate prescribing

I agree with you

But rats call for rat poison

and alot of us have rats

and no other option.

Many people can't go to their GP and ask for a drug they don't know exists

and GPs are limited in their prescribing

Sorry

Pip

x

I understood the point about 4x prescribed amount of zopiclone. I take 2x3.75 which is the 7.5 dose but if I was to take 8 that would be 4x the amount prescribed.

Other than that, ask your gp if you could have injectable meds to have a quicker effect or if suppository is available, but I think best not to start grinding and injecting.

Take to your pdoc or gp and ask their advice, at least they know how you feel then and maybe they can come up with some alternatives.

Take care x

Archived