Mental Health Forums

Back To Zopi Issue

Tabitha

it was me Tabi who said i take eight a day and actually the fact that i go to great lengths to get script from gp and one from psy and they don't talk, i will beg and plead people if i'm running out, order on line and if i do run out, not only do i not sleep, i behave like an addict, begging, crying panicing untill i've got some. It started because i wasn;t sleeping with trauma, pres 2x 7.5 then started tohave half morn to get through morn, half afternoon. Recently life has just been so unbearable i was just knocking myself out more and more. i thought i can't kill myself but if i sleep day and night no one hurt. Cmht know i over medicate, haven't said much. i'm now sick daily from the zopoi and everyday i try to cut down and i can't because i am so depressed if i don't knock myself out or exist in a daze i feel i would end my life and part of me wants help, but just can't get any. My team know my self harm is serious when i do, they know i don't go to casualty or tell. my mum has phoned them this week again and said i look awful colour and shes worried, but my psychiatrist didn't even mention it in my cpa tue, so how do you take an problem seriously when they don't appear to. any way just thought i'd come back on this as there was lots of other threads branching off from the last post. thanks Tabi

tabi,

if you feel the need to overmedicate so much .. please tell you mental health team (all of them) what you are doing and why. at this point you are probably psychologically addicted if not physically addicted.

i hate to think the only way you get thru the day is to constantly knock yourself out. please talk to them and try and find another solution.

xxxx

bets

Tabi

as Betsy says - you have to be honest.

It will help in the long term.

Or do a me

and set little tasks for each day

I hate it, but am doing it

Pip

x

pio Betsy, i've tried to tell my cmht, i thought maybe it wasn' that bigger deal, then i thought it must be otherwise i'd just stop, but ive concluded i am frightened of being awake because im so troubled by all my parts and the depression, and i actually think i am physically addicted, but not had an addiction before, except to avoidance. I guess i'm asking IS THIS A PROBLEM I SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT,' confused.com luv Tabi

Again Tabi

You need to tell someone

-even your GP

I know it is hard,

I have had to admit things I didn't want to

and was trying to hide.

OMG

I think I am learning from betsy!

(((Betsy)))

The only way to get help is to be honest

and it is best you tell them

than they find out

Honest

Pip

x

Tabi...

Maybe taking an OD of zopliclone won't kill you ( and I don't know I am not a doc) but ODing on a daily basis has to be putting pressure on your liver and kidneys...I do know someone who died in there late 20's because they took repeated overdoses non that killed him at the time but in the end his liver just gave up...If you are yellow it may be a sign your liver is under stress but like i say I am no doc and you really do need to get your health checked out.

I think you already know its a problem but you have to get the MH profs to understand it.

It wil take a lot of courage to tell them exactly how hard it is but they may do something with your other meds to help.

and i believe I am physically addicted to zopliclone aswell

TC

Mrs TRee

Thanks both of you and it may not kill i know that wasn't the intention, but 'yes' permenantley yellow waxy looking and sick and all i can taste is metal. think ill get gp to check bloods hugs Tabi

tabi,

sounds like you should really make your mhteam aware that this is a growing and serious problem. the fear of sleeping at the root of this should be dealt with but the outside behavior of taking the extra meds needs dealt with also.

good luck tabs

bets

Betsy is right

(as usual!!!)

You need to get your liver tested if you are yellow

(jaundiced)

And you need to tell someone how you aren't coping.

It won't get better otherwise

Be safe

Pip

x

Tabi

can nt add much but would you consider going to a & e should the mht or gp not respond? bugger it hon, you need to get seen and find a way to cut down, but firstly your physical health needs checking out.

good luck tabi

hugs as always

jai

x

Hi Tabi

I totally relate to this question as I am in the zopiclone addiction trap. Well, sort of nearly out of it at the moment.

My story: I was given zopiclone in order to control insomnia after I gave up drink and drugs. I used it sensibly for the first year or so. Then, under a very stressful situation, started taking it during the day. This is a form of addiction, regardless of the drug in use, as it is using a drug in order to avoid emotions and in order to cope with life. That is addiction. Then I had to do the begging, pleading routines with GP etc but fortunately they raised my dose, psych added diazepam into the mix and what with a few extras bought from a friend, I was able to develop a nice dependency on zopiclone and diazepam. I quickly realised that not taking it every day was do-able and meant that on other days I could overdose and knock myself out.

So, the point I am making, is that I understand where you're at, I understand your situation.

Zopiclone is psychologically addictive if not physically too. The only way to break the cycle is to stop using it and go through the pain barrier of withdrawal. Withdrawal from zop is horrible for the first few days but then its OK. You will crave it and you will feel shit. But only for a few days. I have done it a few times, and most recently last week, however, you will quickly feel better once you're off it. The knack of it then is to either use it sensibly or not at all. I would suggest you stay away from it permanently as you have already developed addiction it isn't rational thinking to have it around you again.

If you can't stop using it, then you need to ask your GP for addiction counselling because the amounts you're using are high and if you cannot stop by yourself, you need support in stopping. If your GPs and psychs cannot understand that then they are not understanding of addiction, in which case you need to approach an addictions counselling centre directly or demand a referral. I can assure you, your problem is a serious addiction and if you cannot stop alone, you NEED and are ENTITLED to support and help. Zopiclone is documented as a drug of abuse, and is used often by heroin addicts and is noted as a drug of injection on the streets, so a drug worker should be able to know your problem is serious. My problem escalated to stupid levels. Now I have stopped using it for a week or so and I feel much better already.

It is very unlikely you will OD to death on zopiclone. It may not be causing liver or kidney damage too bad. But these points are a side issue to your addiction. Addictions only ever escalate. They don't go away and they don't get better until you confront them. You have an addiction. YES, you should be worried about this. Don't panic, stay calm and think about how to solve your addiction and how to cope with emotions without using drugs. I am there, I understand this, trust me. Zopiclone screws with your head. You may not think so clearly at the moment, but you will get your mind back if you stop using it. Believe me.

I was able to develop a nice dependency on zopiclone and diazepam. I quickly realised that not taking it every day was do-able and meant that on other days I could overdose and knock myself out.

OMG

I do that too

- but haven't been to bad lately.

I am on 30mg diaz and

15 mg zopi a day

I am cutting down my diaz

in secret

I know I should tell my GP

and lower the dose

- but I am scared I might need them

Euck!!!!!!!!

Pips

x

Take care of yourself and go to gp and ask about your color, in the meantime get plenty of liquids (not OH included) so your liver and kidneys get a little detox.

(((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Leslie

Pip you made me laugh.

I 'squirrel' my meds even tho not taking them. This is unhealthy behaviour. But at least we are not alone!

Archived