Mental Health Forums

Hi Everyone

zasspa

Hi everyone :)

My name is Jay, Im 22 and I live in Australia. I was diagnosed with BPD a few weeks ago and to be honest I am struggling a lot with the diagnosis. One one hand it feels right and brings relief with it that I actually have a reason for the way I am. On the other hand it brings terror.

I am not really sure of much atm but I am sure of one thing. I am really really glad I found this site. You all seem like incredible people and I am looking forward to getting to know you :)

Jay

welcome jay,

i am glad you joined us. with some time the dx will get less frightening. bpd can be lived with and you can have a good life.. it takes a lot of work but can happen.

welcome again

bets

welcome jay am sure you will soon feel at home here, lots of great people all friendly and supportive, take care rosehip xxx

Hi and :welcomeani:

Hope we can offer some support for you! New dx's can be very scary...But hopefully now that you have it, you can get the treatment and support you need!

Thankyou so much everyone for making me feel so welcome. :)

Miko: I think Im so scared cause I dont fully understand it yet and I guess I dont really know where this leaves me. I feel like Im a really bad person and dont belong anywhere. I dont even know who I am if that makes any sense.

Hi Jay and welcome :)

I'm Kelly and I'm in Australia too :)

I know how you feel about the relief aspect, but the what does this mean now can be a bit scary too, it is perfectly normal especially at the outset! I guess what you can do is look at what it covers for you - how much of your behaviours aren't you being a bad person (I struggled feeling like I was a bad person before I had any idea about BPD), and from there I guess looking at what you feel needs to be dealt with, and what you can do about that.

This is a great site and I love it - being from the other side of the world doesn't make a difference, everyone here is lovely!

Miko: ... I feel like Im a really bad person and dont belong anywhere. I dont even know who I am if that makes any sense.

Ah, I don't yet know who I am going to turn out to be, I am these mostly beautiful and also enigmatic persons.

But would like to suggest to you BPD does not stand for Bad Person Disease :P:D ;)

Welcome and hope you get the support hear and be less scared of your diagnosis, infact forget labels you are a person struggling wioth feelings and behaviours, for a reason and here people will understand that because they hurt to, but also support each other to change things , look forward to your posts luv tabi

Welcome, Jay. I'm happy for you that you discovered this site. You should find many to relate to here.

I'm new here, too, although my 'problems' go back for years and years. BPD doesn't have to be as 'scary' a dx as some pdocs and therapists try to make it appear. In the US, where I live, currently there are 8 symptoms characteristic of this 'personality quirk' (or is it 9? I know there was a change here, between the DSM III and DSM IV so of course, I get a bit mixed up).

'Labels' are only for the benefit of those professionals, and you will surely find some good ways, to deal with the hypersensitivity and sensory overload that BPD entails.

I must add, that I can hardly wait to see what the DSM V, due out very soon, shall conjure up, about BPD and other quirks of personality, etc. ;) It's a bit hard to take those opinions of the so-called 'experts' seriously, sometimes.

allpsychedout

Hi and welcome to our site. Being newly diagnosed can be really scary, but as some of the others say, it does get easier with tim, and you start to look at yuorself as a person again rather then that label. Try not to be too alarmed, as you can see there are lots of people out there in the same position as you, so your not alone. Use the site as a soundign wall for any concerns you have and people will be there to support you and help you out as best they can.

Take care

Babs xx

Archived