Mental Health Forums

Hello

MadMags

Hiya,

I haven't been diagnosed with BPD, I knew there was something wrong with me so I did some online personality tests and they all said I was high risk BPD.

I know I'm just not normal......there are some things I couldn't tell anyone.....things I have done...I'm a 39 year old mother of a 19 y/o and an 11 y/o boy!

When I even try to tell people I think there's somethng wrong with me...they laugh....I suppose they think I'm attention seeking.

I don't know how to fix myself!

M x

Hi MadMags

Welcome to the site.

I hope it is of comfort to you.

Have you been to your GP?

Online tests can give you a wrong diagnosis

- so don't worry

Pip

x

hey welcome and dont worry i did the test online and it said i had bpd but that was when i was allready diagnosed the best thing to do is see a therapist and talk to your gp about your concerns,

i hope this site is alot of use to you and please dont worry its not scary as it sounds i promise

mentalbpd

I can't go to GP and say I think I have a personality disorder...he will laugh! (That's not funny is it.....upsets me knowing its true)

Hi and :welcomeani:

You don't have to go to your gp, and say hi, I think I have a personality disorder. The best bet would be to go in, and just tell them about the problems you are having, and how it is affecting your life. They may suggest a referal to a psychiatrist, who can assess you fully and decide on a diagnosis.

Good luck!

Dear madmags,

As part of the medical profession myself, let me tell you that any GP who laughs at what a patient complains of is not being a very good GP. You are a mature woman who knows when she has a problem, and you have the full right to an answer to your problems. If you don't have BPD it could be something else, maybe something small or something big, either way there's a perfectly rational explanation for whatever you're having, so I suggest you sit down and review exactly what your problems are, and then approach your GP confidently with them. If he laughs at you give him a piece of your mind and go see a better professional :)

Love

Ann

Dear madmags,

As part of the medical profession myself, let me tell you that any GP who laughs at what a patient complains of is not being a very good GP. You are a mature woman who knows when she has a problem, and you have the full right to an answer to your problems. If you don't have BPD it could be something else, maybe something small or something big, either way there's a perfectly rational explanation for whatever you're having, so I suggest you sit down and review exactly what your problems are, and then approach your GP confidently with them. If he laughs at you give him a piece of your mind and go see a better professional :)

Love

Ann

Thanks Ann (and everybody else),

I think I should just tell him I need to see a psych nurse or something....I was seeing one a few years ago but after a couple of sessions she went on holiday and they wanted me to see her stand in....i couldn't do it...go through telling them all my s*** again.

Do any of you find you use humour to get you through? You know makes wisecracks about yourself when you know you shouldn't? Maybe thats why I'm not taken seriously. My favourite saying is "oh it's ok it's only Margy!" (Makes me cry)

Hey Madmags,

What you said about not being taken seriously made me think...I once went to this psychiatrist when I was an intern and told him about my family troubles, problem is I was in such a good mood that day, when just the previous night I had cried myself to sleep. My moods change so quickly that when people ask me what went wrong 'that day' they get suprised by my ability to so cheerfully report that 'oh, I was feeling suicidal...again'.

I read that sometimes people with BPD hurt themselves just to prove that they have a problem...they know they do but somehow they don't feel that bad about it, so they hurt themselves coz 'only people with problems would hurt themselves, right?'

I think the real explanation is that a lot of our problems make us feel so bad that our mind just disassociates from them...which I guess is what 'depersonalization' is all about, another symptom of BPD. But the problem still manifests itself, in the form of impulsive behaviour, getting intensely angry 'for little/no reason', troubled relationships, mood swings, alternate periods of hating/loving oneself/everyone else.

God bless,

Ann

Hey Madmags,

What you said about not being taken seriously made me think...I once went to this psychiatrist when I was an intern and told him about my family troubles, problem is I was in such a good mood that day, when just the previous night I had cried myself to sleep. My moods change so quickly that when people ask me what went wrong 'that day' they get suprised by my ability to so cheerfully report that 'oh, I was feeling suicidal...again'.

I read that sometimes people with BPD hurt themselves just to prove that they have a problem...they know they do but somehow they don't feel that bad about it, so they hurt themselves coz 'only people with problems would hurt themselves, right?'

I think the real explanation is that a lot of our problems make us feel so bad that our mind just disassociates from them...which I guess is what 'depersonalization' is all about, another symptom of BPD. But the problem still manifests itself, in the form of impulsive behaviour, getting intensely angry 'for little/no reason', troubled relationships, mood swings, alternate periods of hating/loving oneself/everyone else.

God bless,

Ann

I think I definitely have BPD....all of the above lol......I think I;m going mad sometimes and it scares me!

message from one mad person to anothr i have found that although psych gave me diagnosis they are also dismissive i have wonderful therapist who says it is not so much about the diagnosis but what it isdoing to iyour life is therapy an option although it would also help so much if you had a hepful gp

i also use chronic scottish humour as defence

Hi Mags,

Welcome, and sorry bit late with this... seem to have missed you! I have many of the same difficulties that you describe... because I work so hard at being friendly, people pleaser etc I come across as someone with very few problems when I feel utterly desperate. I also use humour to minimise problems and find it almost impossible to cry so mht don't take me that seriously it seems. I also wonder whether they don't want to give attention to "attention seeking" behaviour like self harm and suicide attempts. <_< I think you should do as others here have suggested and persevere... you have a right to the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Good luck,

Scarlett

Dear Madmags,

Do let me know what your next GP/psych says?

Scarlett - I hear you on the people-pleaser issue. My life was like a stage. In defence my anger now makes me do the opposite, which is a such an energy release. Now I take vindictive pleasure in speaking my mind :) especially to my parents :) :)

Love,

Ann

hi and welcome to BPDWORLD

IT HAS SAVED my LIFE!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE is FREINDLY and there is ALWAYS listening

USE US

WE ARE THERE FOR EACH OTHER

(((((((((((((((hugs tO EVERYONE)))))))))))))

ali xx

Archived