Mental Health Forums

Calling All Recovered Bpd Sufferers

bored-a-line

hello, me again.

if any of you know or are a recovered BPD sufferer, can you let me know because i'd really like to have a chat.

thanks

Bored-a-line,

Good luck. Catch me between moods, and I'll tell how great I feel, and that it's over, that I don't expect I will ever feel badly again. If you are able to do that, you'll be doing better than my husband.

hi bored-a-line

I wouldnt say I am a recovered BPD, but I am very up to date with all the drugs therapies etc, and apart from the occasional break out I would say that I deal with life quite well now... I was diagnosed at the age of 26 and had a very hard time dealing with it... Finally I accepted the diagnosis and did everything I could to get well... I am in a mind set where I am determined not to let this illness ruin my life.

I dont think anyone actually 'recovers' from BPD, but there are ways of living with it and trying to maintain a healthy state of mind. I am by no means an expert but if you ever wanna chat or any any advice, I am here for you....

Ginny B)

I was told you can never *RECOVER* Its not like that

but you can learn to MANAGE and LIVE with your Illness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats what i was dreading, im sure many of us have managed it for a day or two, its just not looking too pretty right now.

im having bad thoughts about this bpd business, i was under the impression that it would be worth trying to treat, im not sure i care anymore. got a letter throught the post today 2 weeks after seeing my gp about getting a referral, the earliest someone can see me is on the 24th thats like nearly a month after i told my gp i've reached crisis point.

is the nhs failing us? why does health insurance work even though it costs less than income tax for a lot of people? i think theyd be better off just admitting that in fact there isnt any serious mental health care system in this country and be done with it, at least then, people like me would know that i'd need to seriously save up if i need to get better.

Bored-a-line,

Getting treatment, the right kind of treatment seems to be a challenge for everyone, whether for mental health or an ingrown toenail. All you can do is try to communicate that it is urgent that you get an appointment asap, and then do your best to take care of yourself until then. And really, truly, I agree with Katy's explaination, that the best we can do, and I did this for 15 years but seem to have lost the capabiliy to do it lately, is manage our lives, or ourselves, or our illness, or our disorder...I don't know, but I do think there is no cure or complete recovery. It is like living with a low grade fever all the time - ALL THE TIME - and without warning, the fever spikes, and you get really sick. The trick, I think is to recognize when the fever begins to go up, and do all the right things to bring it down. Take Care...

Hiya,

I dont think there is a cure but you most certainly can reach a place where you can lead a happier and more balanced life.

dbt/cbt/meds/journal writing/focusing strongly on recovery all played a large part in getting me where I am now.

Most of the time I no longer think as I used to.

I dont assume that everyone hates me.I have limited the black and white thinking right down.

I have started to feel secure enough to build friendships that I feel fairly secure in.

I have also exepted that medication will most likely be with me for life.

That sometimes I feel like dying, but that it wont allways be that way, and vice versa.

Also I am currently in my first job that I have managed to hold for more than three months.

It has taken about three years to get to where I am now.Its been hard and very emotional.I often wished that I had never started seeking 'recovery'

But im very glad I did.

I still have my issues. Sometimes I can still be a real 'crazy' but it is taking me less and less time to get back to even ground.

I also still have some issues with Alcohol. Never drank during the day but I get very anxious if I dont drink in the evening. (working on it though down to drinking a bottle of wine three nights a week)

So yea,I'd say give anything on offer a go. But remember its you that has to do the 'real' and often painfull work.

Good luck.

L

xx

im not diagnostically recovered from BPD but i no longer possess the self harm or suicidal ideation. i know of 2 ppl who no longer have any of the characteristics of BPD so hence are RECOVERED. one is my good friend and her symptoms were severe.

unfortunatley the other has passed away due to complications with her diabetes.

you will find here that there wont be posts on ppl who have recovered because when they say how they did it and try to post other positives of thier life they are either bombarded with "yeah right" replies or basically "we're not interested, happy where i am"

this post wont last long here ill be surprised if you get to read it but what the hell I'll try anyway and you know what. that is the difference between someone who has recovered and someone who hasnt. at least it was given a shot and proved to themselves that it can be acheived if you want it to.

Bored-a-line,

It seems that BPD traits are often replaced with other mechanisms. For instance, suicidal ideation may be replaced with just plain nastiness... :blink:

Hi bored-a-line

I used to have bulimia/anorexia really bad but that stopped quite afew years ago. I'm still struggleing with abandonment, black&white thinking, and suicidal ideation but they are not as bad as they used to be. I do have hope that life can be different.

Juaier

Archived