Mental Health Forums

Venlafaxine

maxybabes

Different meds work for different people. Venlafaxine didnt work for me it gave me very bad nightmares :( may work fine for u tho!

I have moved this to meds forum.

Tory xx

This is a very hard drug to withdraw from - if you do decide to stop taking it - doit very slowly - also, if you miss a dose, you will know about it!!! Feel off balance, distant, not quite there etc..

I was on 375mg per day at one stage - much too much - (stupid doctors! :angry: )

Anyway, I went into psychosis which lasted for 3 weeks. So, if the drug helps you, use it - but beware!!!

Ginny ;)

At my worst i was on 300mg a day and when i decided it wasnt working my doctor said i could either just stop taking it or reduce it gradually, in a fit of childish rage i just stopped and boy was i soooo ill, i really thought i was dying, i ended up starting taking it again and reducing it slowly. for me the side effects were a horrible dry mouth.

just remember that different drugs work for different people.

flippy

i was on efexor and shit did i get a reaction. that post i wrote in debates about what is happening for me right now has all been put down to the efexor. i still feel like shit but they didnt ween me off, they just stopped it and now i feel like im going to faint all the time. i cant sleep, my ED is really bad so much so that i bought out macdonalds this morning after Brad went to work and then ate a bowl of porridge and made more eggs. chucked the whole lot up. i actually feel like im losing the plot even though im still on my lithium.

its all stuffed you know. id rather not be on any meds if this is what happens.

I've been on venlafaxine about 2 years now and have found it's the only drug thats actually lifted my mood. To begin with the worst side effect was clenching my jaw, I was convinced i was grinding my teeth away. side effects now are pretty weird and intense dreams, that are always of pretty much the same things/places. They're so real I get confused about what really happened and what I dreamt. Stopping it suddenly is a BAD idea, it makes you feel so out of it and I swear makes you morelikely to dissociate. I am very naughty in that I self-medicate, if I don't sleep all night, I'll duble the dose to keep me awake through the day. I don't recommend this as it does make you feel pretty s**t. I think I'm happy with it overall which is typical as now I'm being shifted over to prozac to combat the bulimia. I have a friend who suffers major depression and she has had great results with venlafaxine. I think you should give any thing a go because it can take a while to find the right medication for you.

Good luck!

Anwen

Thanks for your responses ive had alot of bad feedback from other people but like you say everyones different, i started it and came out in a rash i also feel like im on speed havent eaten either for a few days, but ill give it ago if its gonna help in the long run.

kerrie x

i think a rash is a common side effect of effexor. normally if someone got a rash from a drug it would be considered an allergic reaction, but as i said with this drug i think its common

I had a very nasty reaction to it.

I ended up manic and suicidal. Resulted in a major psychotic episode where I took a serious overdose.

BUT it does work wonders for some where all other anti d's have failed.

So give it a go.But be sure to talk to your GP/mental health team should you experience anything frightining.

• 2 months later...

I've just been changed from Fluoxetine to Venlafaxine, I already have really bad nightmares and flashbacks together with suicidal thoughts, do you think that if you have these feelings befpre it will counteract with them and make things better?

Flower

Not sure flowergirl, but be careful of this drug - it has done wonders for some people but, if you have looked at the posts before yours, you will see how it can affect people.

Ginny :unsure:

hi flowergirl,

I've been on efexor for 2 months. In the beginning I had dodgy side effects----most listed :(.

HOWEVER they DID stop once my body got used to having the med. I'm still on 75mg....The side effects were worse for the first week.

Take care, and make sure you check in with your doctor regularly. I saw mine once a week over Xmas(when my therapist was on a break) and now I see her once every 2 weeks.

lorna

I was on this for 2 yrs and finally got up to a dose of 300mg daily

Have to say that for a time it did work and lifted my mood a little

In the end though the sleepless nights,nightmares and various other side effects were enough to make me want to come off of it.

Now i'm off of it my head feels less foggy and so much clearer makes me wonder why i spent 2 yrs being drugged beyond recognition

This drug can be a life saver for some and the worst drug in the world for others

unfortunately the only way to find out which catergory your in is to give it a go.

hugs star x

Different things work for different people. As others have said just give it a go and see but make sure if you have bad thoughts that u dont act on them and u see dr. The dr should check to see whats happening and check side effects anyway. It may really help u and work well so give it a go and see.

I hope it does help.

Take care

Tory x

i have been on it for about 9 months. it makes me more able to think and i havent had any bad side effects except for the one time i quit it on my own.

like they said.. Never quit drastically... the doc needs to taper you off. i was crying and awake and shaking for 4 days and then was hospitalized and put back on it.

it really does do wonders for me. unfortunately i am on 450 mgs and this bothers me because it is over the manufactures limits. it doesn't seem to be hurting me tho. when i went off and back on it the same dossage wouldn't help.. so they increased.

good luck whatever you decide to do... like they said everyones response to drugs vary.

bets

I had a really bad experience with Effexor. If I didn't take it at exactly the same time every day I got heart palpitations and something that's called a 'brain shiver' (read up on it!) which was almost like a pulse going through my brain - the most horrible thing I've ever felt. I came off it after 2 months of hell and the withdrawals were terrible....I could hardly move and thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke.

But, having said that...someone I know did really well on effexor so I guess we all react differently to each drug. Hope it works for you. x

that's interesting Susanna. Cos I usually take it in the mornings at breakfast time. Which means 7 on work days and any time between 8 and 10.30ish on non work days...sometimes I wake up from really vivid vivid dreams with under my eyes puffy and swollen on those later mornings. Like there was water or something puffing the skin out. It doesn't seem so bad now. The first time it REALLY freaked me....But when I got up, showered, ate and had the meds, it was back to normal.

So, now I'm physically stable on it, I am trying to make sure my doc never increases the dosage.....!!!!!

Archived