Mental Health Forums

Citalopram

mrs tree

i have been on this a week and a half now and my ability to orgasm has declined to the point yeaterday where i couldn't....Does anyone else have the same probs will this improve with time...what do you do....it might be preferable to not killing myself but can't go through life not oragsming

Sorry MrsTree

- it is a side effect.

It MIGHT go

- it MIGHT not.

I can't tall you in public how long it has been for me!!!!!!!!!!

All SSRIs have this potential

Sorry

I am on that medication and i find it hard to orgsam, at first when i was on it, i couldn't at all, thankfully now i can but it takes longer and sometimes i can't. Hope fully you will be able to soon. Its so fustrating.

Beth xx

I had the problem with some SSRIs, too. Not Citalopram though, although I could orgasm easier once I was off it again. So maybe I just didn't notice because I didn't have sex when I went on it.

It sucks! I hope it will pass for you or you will find a way to make it enjoyable anyway. Don't know.

Well as far as i am aware this is a possible side effect of most antidepressants, we all react differently. I am not in a position to comment as i have no sex drive what so ever in the first place :( . Maybe you should see how it goes they do say sometimes side effects can ware off, however sometimes they don't. Sorry this reply isn't much help, i hope things improve soon.

I've been on that stuff since fall 2004 and I don't have any sexual cravings whatsoever (so I can't tell whether I'd have problems with orgasms). So I guess it's a side effect and for me it didn't wear off... still no cravings or any kind of sex-drive. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mrs Tree

You've been chatty to me and in the same rooms as me, so i thought i'd add my penny's worth.

I'm a boy,don't know if same principles apply, but i reckon they probably do. I've had a problem on sertraline - brand name Lustral! At the beginning was really horny, but it took - literally - 2 hours to come :blush: . I was single, as usual, and off sick, so time was no prob, but I was gagging for it at the same time!!! I had to schedule it into my week, which at one point required leaving a freind's house who i was staying with, to go home for an afternoon's , ehem, and then going back in the eve. She thought it was hysterical, i was equally embarassed and amused.

I could tell from my doc's almost concealed smile that I was the first person who'd she'd seen complaining about a high sex drive! It was funny and also strangely unpleasant!

It took several months for everything to get back to normal, but I think your body adjusts and trains itself eventually. That said, if there has been no definite improvement after two months, think about changing if it's important. On paroxetine (which didn't help with depression) it kind of hurt when i orgasmed, even when if it was once a fortnight. I'm frigid but even that was too much.

A friend of mine is on an SNRI, can't remember name but it begins with x or z, and it his sex life is great, but he can't have a quickie....but he's a stud at lasting!

I can't believe i've just written all this down, but it is funny, and normally it would take me about 5-10 years b4 i shared this kinda stuff. Deep breath. I have said nothing offensive........

[reminds self that none of you know who i am, and that you can't embarass me in public]

Hey, hope the post helps or at least brings a smile to your face.

Dxx

What exams have you had? I'm impressed that you're studying. Whatever the results, I know doing this kind of thing is good for you. I've somehow managed to be too late to book a singing class for about 500 years. This year i was really organised, checked it out the day it was online, then not booked cos it'll interfere with, to be honest, my drinking and dope (but i found a million other reasons as well, obviously). How crap is that?

Keep on being a tree - they're great to hug

Dxx

A male friend of mine lost his very healthy sex drive taking drugs for bipolar. When I was on prozac it used to take forever for me to orgasm...really annoying, luckily I'm off the stuff now and back to normal!

mine has been doubled so am fucked or maybe no point bothering lol

My s.worker said she will talk to pdoc about it but not anything that can be done only can take ssri's

MrsTree,

Try being on 120mg Prozac (huge dose)

Never mind an orgasm - I forget what sex is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope things go ok

(didn't know how else to word it!!!!!!!!!!!)

pip

x

Mrs Tree, I always hated the fact, but the SSRIs in particular all seem to make orgasms take lots longer, and often they just ain't gonna happen, no matter what, seems like. I've heard that only Wellbutrin (Bupropion), of any of the antidepressants which are any good, has little to no 'sexual side effects' (as the industry likes to call inability to achieve orgasms, due to medicines). Dunno how true that may be...

When I was taking Zoloft years ago, I was in a relationship. So, I learned to just skip my dose for a day or two, if a get-together was planned. This worked reasonably well for me. Problem is, at least one other thing I was on, Clonazepam, had somewhat the same effect! So, I thought back, and figured out that for my entire life, being either 'non-orgasmic' or barely so, was actually caused by one kind of pill, or another. And I had been 'medicated' since age 20.

Since 'that area' of my body was where I felt the worst of my tremendous anxiety-induced pain (some sort of somatization thing), I learned how to take care of my needs 'by myself' in order to make a proper job of it, if you get my drift. Really, I just did a lot of experimenting, tried a couple of 'toys' even, and learned NOT to feel embarrassed about it any more. For me, the really huge, long-lasting orgasms I taught myself to have were not for 'fun' or 'enjoyment', they were for my health and sanity, plain and simple. They got rid of that pain! (Well, most of it.)

My ex-husband tried to be 'understanding' when HE couldn't achieve the same effect for me; I wonder if he ever even believed me, that it had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with him (!!! Really!!!), but was a nasty medication side effect...at any rate he dissolved our marriage after 7 1/2 years of putting up with me.

Nearly 10 years later I had relationships with 3 women, one at a time of course :P and the whole business DID go far better. But I still never had the long, intense, healing orgasms with anyone else that I learned how to produce on my own. So, I figured out how to enjoy 'other things' and not expect too much from a partner, yet love being intimate anyway.

Just today, my pdoc agreed to let me have some Paroxetine for awhile. Yay! Been wanting some for a LONG time! H*ll, he FINALLY told me it has been available as a generic in the US for over a year and a half. Grrr--he knew I've wanted it before this, cuz the Paxil samples he gave me once were so nice. He knew I couldn't afford Paxil--so, nice of him, to finally come clean after all this time, since I thought to ask about it again today.

I bring this up only because I KNOW, that now I'm gonna have another monkey wrench tossed into my 'orgasming' abilities which aren't what they should be anyhow. Glad I'm not in a relationship; even if I were, she'd just have to 'understand' is all.

To me, this uncomfortable little side effect is more than worth it, to get the benefit of the Paroxetine. My 'sessions' may grow fewer, further between, but I doubt they'll disappear altogether. They never did before, on any medication, so...?

Has anybody here ever heard the theory that a really hard, intense orgasm is rather like a mini-version of an ECT? I mean, so far as the effect on the body and brain? Let's just say, as one who has had a ton of ECTs and a WHOLE lot of d*mn near back-breaking, spine-arching orgasms, they produce much the same effect. Just, the ECTs make that effect last a lot longer, cuz they flood the body with more endorphins, and for a longer period.

I apologize to anyone who might have found this reply to be too 'graphic' but how else can one even talk about it...nothing to feel ashamed of, right? I hope...

allpsychedout

Thx for the replies on this topic....my pdoc has described it as her anoragasm...never knew it had a name and thinks it may be to do with fetility i don't i could feel it getting harder as the levels of citolapram built up in me...she has said it is a side effect and changes me to sertraline so need to see doc next week when i can get in.

Archived