Mental Health Forums

A Day Called Hope

silas

About a year ago I read a book called A day called hope by a DJ here in Ireland called Gareth O'Callaghan, who was a life long sufferer of Depression. Excellent read, and shows that there is hope after depression.

Anyways on his page when he was a DJ on 2FM, he had this list, which at the time gave me the much needed confidence I needed at the time.

I don't know if it's any use to anyone, but just thought I'd put it out there.

1. At least 5 people in this world love you so much they would die for you.

2. At least 15 people in this world love you in some way.

3. The only reason anyone would ever hate you is because they want to be just like you.

4. A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone, even if they don't like you.

5. Every night, SOMEONE thinks about you before they go to sleep.

6. You mean the world to someone.

7. Without you, someone may not be living.

8. You are special and unique, in your own way.

9. Someone that you don't know even exists loves you.

10. When you make the biggest mistake ever, something good comes from it.

11. When you think the world has turned it's back on you, take a look, you most likely turned your back on the world.

12. When you think you have no chance at getting what you want, you probably won't get it, but if you believe in yourself, you probably sooner or later will get it.

13. Always remember complements you received, forget about the rude remarks.

14. Always tell someone how you feel, then they'll know.

~ Keith

Yeah but he just had unipolar Depression, and not the mess that is BPD and all the extra disorders is encompasses.

He was a deadly DJ, my favourite DJ actually. He had one of them soothing voices that you could listen to all day. Pity he quit, think he's a counsellor or something now.

sounds like a good read but

i NEVER believe people care or even think of me so.............bloody bpd

WAKE UP WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME of us have been up since 4am

(((((((((((((((everyone)))))))))))))))

take care and try 2 b safe

love ali xx

Interesting sounding book! About that list though...some of us may be doing good to have ONE person in the world who knows us and cares. Maybe just one can be enough? If not, I AM doomed. :unsure:

You spoke of Gareth O'Callaghan in the past tense and I do not know of him; is he no longer living? I just wonder if he ever conquered his depression...because if clinical depression really IS about brain chemistry, and most of it sure does seem to be, then these modern medicines are indeed a miracle. MOST are greatly helped by them; I wonder if this DJ ever tried any...

allpsychedout

Yep hes still alive alright.

Think he works as a counsellor now, he left DJing about year ago, although he filled in for someone on the radio about 7 months back.

I'm not sure allPsychedOut, I think he might of being on effexor at one stage, not sure. My gf has the book, i'll have to get it back off her and have a look.

~Keith

No 10 - I have major proof of - at every turn it seems

Nos 1-2 - slightly tweakable but in right ball park

I basically believe nos 1-10

Nos 11-15 look like hard work, well I always did like to look at hard work a nice long time before I started on it

Ah Rachel, I hope you're doing ok there.

Ya no probs, thought it was relevant to the depression forum here anyways.

I always found number 9, gave me hope when I felt really lonely.

~Keith

Silas,

I brought the book with me

and am rereading it.

Did you know he was depressed while he was working as a DJ

and actively depressed?

Or was he cheery?

pip

x

Yeah I found it out when I read the book pip. But the scary thing was Gareth was the most cheery, friendly and easy to listen to DJ ever. I was beyond shocked when I found he was suffering from depression.

keith

thanks for sharing, its a great list, now how do i work on believing in myself...any hints on that one would go a long way....

the hard part is knowing that ppl love you but not knowing why? sorry to be a downer on such a positive thread but its how i feel, and is my constant question to my t....why are ppl nice to me....i dont deserve it..

hey ho, maybe ill invest some pennies and see if it helps answer what feels like the impossible to reach

thanks

jai

Pip

have i told you i love you recently!

its fine to be controversial and thats just honest not contro at all.

i keep wondering why tho...i think pond life has more reason to be here most days truely ameoba from saturn, which is what my lil bro calls me has more reason to exist!!

maybe its to do with my mum saying she should nt have had a daughter...i dunno, its a starting point, i dont think she meant it in a bad way, just that she felt there would nt have been any probs in the family if i had nt been born, qualified later by the fact that evidently my Dad was supposed to have shown me extra care , where my bros did nt get it....i dunno, how much do we know anyhow?

thanks Pip....ill investigate this feeling more, but poss in therapy.....i need to get me balance back .......

oh and the impossible is also on my shopping list!

Archived