Mental Health Forums

Abusing Prescribed Meds

flowergirl

ok, not sure if this was supposed to be in addiction issues or in medications forums, anyway...

Do any of you abuse prescribed meds to get drunk quick?

I take excess prescribed meds prior to drinking because it makes me drunk quicker and thus I need to drink less.

Sometimes it is because I feel nervous about going out, like the other week I took my meds as usual in the morning then at the evening I took double doses of everything I have, so I had 3 times amount i should have had and then went into self destruct at pub too.

Tonight it has been such a twat of a day that i did the same, well 3x some and then started drinking, feel pissed now after consuming less than half the amount of drink it usually takes.

Well my typing aint so bad so i guess i aint that drunk lol

Anyway, is it just me or others too?

x:)

I don't have any prescribed meds to abuse if i did i would think the temptation to go into self destruct mode would be there. I don't drink alcohol so can't comment on it in relation to that. I do however abuse over the counter medications thats a different story.

Guess i just want to say i can relate kind of to how you feel and i hope that in time with some support etc you can work on the issues causing this. I am sure many of us can relate to medication abuse issues in one way or another, i think sometimes it gives us that ignorance is bliss kind of feeling.

xxxx

Yeah I think the ignorance is bliss feeling is cool, it just doesnt last long enough!!!

Anyway I guess I will get over it when I start to deal with the drink probs

xxx

Yes I do too, usual affect is that it knocks me out, but like Pip said, it's alot of the reason I do it too. When I'm trying to be sober, abuse anything going to give some kind of buzz or distance, whatever.

good luck with your drinking, i'm 33, been a 20 yr battle for me , i suppose im more forward than i ever have been, but thats not much considering the effort. its pure and absolute hell (and back again a thousand times)

try thinking that its not the substance you take, its the overwhelming need to be out of your head for all the very very valid reasons you have for wanting to do this (if they weren't real reasons, and they didn't serve some purpose, you wouldn't be doing it) hope that makes sence

take care xx

Archived