Mental Health Forums

Celebrity Sponsors ?

Holmstack

Having read Joshes thread about the drop in centre rent and general lack on funds I got round to thinking of ways of raising funds and came up with the thought that a celebrity sponsor or two would be nice. I know the guy who played the boss of the Starship Enterprise has donated millions to our local school, (he went there), and they have far more dosh than us, who in general, if anything like me are broke. Perhaps if a mail or e-mail shot was sent out to celebrities that have in the past or do suffer currently from MH problems explaining what BPDWorld is and how many people it helps and the predicament we are in some substantial donations may be made. If this would be OK with Josh I would be willing to research contact addresses, (I’m quite good at things like that), print out any letters, stuff them in envelopes and sort out the e-mails.

Can any of you out there suggest any celebrities we could approach ? I have come up with the following so far –

Frank Bruno

The actress from the Royal family, (I can’t remember her name).

Stephen Fry

John Cleese

I am sure there are far more out there, any suggestions please.

Highest regards,

Phil

Great idea holmstack!

There are quite a few famous musicians (singers/bands) and sports personalities who have acknowledged their own mental health issues...

Could be a possibility

Dawn

Hey holmstack,

Think you've hit on a really good idea. Along the same kind of lines, we could get in touch with the Princess Diana Memorial Fund? I know there have been several suggestions that she may have had BPD. Just a thought...

Gem

xx

Alister Campbell had a nervous breakdown.

He is very open about it.

There is Professor Lewis Wolpert,Prof of Biology as applied to medicine

at university clollege, london.

He is an eminant evolutionary biologist

(one of my heros as an undergrad)

He has written a book on depression.

You could try those two, perhaps?

pip

x

Trisha Goddard

Jane Asher

Lynda Bellingham

Rory Bremner

Michael Buerk

Sally Burton

Stephanie Cole

Barry Cryer

Dame Judi Dench, DBE

Sir David Frost, OBE

Boy George

Gwen Humble

Barry Humphries, AO

Virginia Ironside

Sir Jeremy Isaacs

Sir Ben Kingsley

Joanna Lumley, OBE

Robert Lyndsay

Nick Mason

Ian McShane

Anna Massey

Sir Jonathan Miller, CBE

Nicola Pagett

Michael Palin, CBE

Trevor Phillips, OBE

Tim Pigott-Smith

Robert Powell

Claire Rayner, OBE

Griff Rhys Jones

Nick Ross

Ned Sherrin, CBE

Timothy Spall, OBE

Juliet Stevenson, CBE

Alastair Stewart

Carole Stone

Minette Walters

Fay Weldon, CBE, FRSL, FRSA

Victoria Wood, OBE

These people have all been known to give to a particular mental health charity in the past so what's to stop them giving to us :)

Denise Welsh is another sufferer, both her and Trisha Goddard have supported Mental Health Action Week in 2005 so ..

Gail Porter has also been involved in MH awareness too

Without being flippant, wonder how trendy BPD is? Many celebreties have had their mental health problems (usually depression) but it's "temporary". If media found out they were supporting BPD would they not be afraid that it indicated that they had BPD, which is notoriously difficult to treat. Usually celebreties talk about their battle with mental illness, with the rider of course, that they've overcome it. Anyway, I'm just talking nonsense cos it's ony a bloody letter... they can only say no. Maybe I'm anticipating corporate rejection here rather than my personal one... always on the lookout for potential rejection!!

Maddy :wacko:

and also Alan Titchmarsh

Charlotte Church's mum - is she classed as a celebrity?

also Stan Collymore.

well Madeline i have run searches and the only celeb that my engines come up with is Princess Di

As soon as Becky lets me back on the computer for a reasonable time I'll be looking for contact details for the above names and if Josh gives the OK will either e-mail or write to them, or at least the ones I find the contact addresses for, either e-mail or snail mail.

I'm sure there are more celebs out there worth contacting, come on you guys, more suggestions. In matters like this numbers count. The more shit you throw at a wall, the more sticks so to speak.

Highest regards,

Phil

Charlotte Church's mum did sh, didn't she? And CC supported her through her rehab and so on. Might be a possibility there.

(God, I know too much about british celebs for a german but I LOVE british gossip mags, very guilty pleasure)

I love Stephen Fry! Let me send an ardent appeal to him!!!! (joking, I'd die with anxiety at the sheer thought that he would read it)

But seriously I once knew a guy who had written to him about drug recovery and a charity thing and I know that Stephen Fry answered and was willing to give something to be auctioned or something like that. The guy didn't go through with it then though.

But it would be an idea to ask celebs for items to be auctioned on ebay. It's not much of an effort on their side and it doesn't imply too much either. Maybe. Don't know.

I hope something works out!

Thats a really good idea! I can't think of any celebs at the moment, but will look into it, see if I can find anyone else.

Full stop(for child abuse) did lots of celebrity auctions on ebay...They made lots of money. It might be worth looking into it.

i remember Paul Merton doing quite an open documentary about his struggle with mental health issues (i think he's bi-polar). also Jack Dee has always been honest about his battle with alcoholism.

Archived