Mental Health Forums

*sigh*

janey1980

Hi, I read these forums every day, but never had the courage to actually join and post. Theres so much going on right now, so i'll just go for it and type away, apologies if its a bit long...

I am 26 and have had mental health problems since I was 16. When I was 17, I was diagnosed with BPD, I have been in hospital twice every year since then, usually for around 2-4 months, and always on a section. I usually let things get so bad and refuse treatment, support etc, that it always comes down to them coming to my home and sectioning me. I was sent to the Henderson in 2000, and stayed for around 4 weeks, but I got really ill, and they decided that it wasn't the right place for me, as it wasn't a personality disorder I had, but a mood disorder, that needed medicating. (I had come off all mets to go to the Henderson, as it is their requirement) In 2002 I moved to a new area, and had a new mental health team. After 2/3 months, my psychiatrist changed my diagnosis from BPD to Bipolar and put me on Lithium, Olanzapine and Citalopram. I have had numerous manic episodes, and plenty of depressive ones too.

My last admission was in December of last year. I was admitted because they stated that I wa shaving a mixed episode. I was in hospital for 4 months on a section 3. I have had a CPN, who has been my CPN for nearly 4 years. Whilst in hospital my psychiatrist of 4 years left, and I was given a locum. Then another locum, then another. The last locum decided that I didn't need medication, that I didn't have Bipolar and that it was BPD. He knew me for 3 weeks when he made these decisions. Up until then, in ward rounds, diagnosis and meds were the same.

I was discharged from hospital in April, and a week after discharge I received a letter from this locum psych saying that he was discharging me from 117 aftercare, my care plan was to be changed from enhanced to standard, and he was discharging me back to my GP. I have been on enhanced CPA and section 117 aftercare for 8 years. I then got a further letter to say that my CPN was discharging me. So in 4 weeks, I went from having Bipolar and needing meds probably for life, to having BP, no psych, no CPN and no mental health team at all.

I am totally baffled, I have had a mental health team since I was 16, at a guess, I have been sectioned over 16 times, all on section 3's. How on earth can they do this. Part of me is happy, because I was so sick of them checking up on me every week, but the other part of me is extremely angry, and I just don't know what to do. I may well have BPD. But I know for sure I have Bipolar, the manic episodes I have had and been hospitalized for would confirm that. I just don't get it.

I haven't been co-operative with my mental health team for a long time, when i'm well, then yes, i'm in contact, but as soon as I start to get ill, I withdraw, and ignore everyone, stop meds etc etc. Maybe that's why there washing there hands of mel. I am well for 6-8 months, no self harm, no mood changes nothing, and then I have an episode, usually mania, but sometimes depression. I have read lots about BPD, and as far as I can see the only real part of the criteria I match would be the self harm, and impulsive behaviour. But I only self harm when having a depressive episode, so maybe every 1-2 years, and I am only impulsive when I am manic, shopping, cleaning, deciding to move house etc etc.

My GP is very supportive, and I know for a fact would be angry that they have discharged me, but part of me doesn't want to go and see her, because I dent want to appear desperate to get them back, but on the same note, I know at some point I will become ill again, and i'm at the age now where I want to try and remain as stable as I can and get on with my life.

I'm also thinking of maybe getting a private assessment, but its alot of money.

Any words of advice, encouragement would be appreciated, I'm just at a loss as to why they have done this when i have been so involved with them for 10 years.

Thanks in advance

Janey

janey,

sorry i am not in uk and dont know the system so i wont be of any help there. i just read all your post though and wanted to offer my support. people can have bpd and bipolar. it sounds like someone that didnt know you very well made a snap decission about you and that as effectively pulled all supports out from under you. that must be really scarry, frustrating, and issolating to go though. i am sorry you are having to go through it and hope you find the courage and the right resources to fight this decission.

hopefully someone more knowledgeable in the uk system will answer this.

xxxx

bets

janey i am so so sorry...i am 26 and like you have had mental health problems since i was 16 and only this year was told i finally had BPD before it was just called depression and self harm. I have been in psych hospitals 4 times, the priory in southampton twice and then a psych hospital here where i live in the south of England. Where are you from?

I really really think you need to go and speak to your doctor about you being discharged it should not have happened. I have a wonderful mental health team, a psych, a therapist and a not so nice CPN but i do need them and once you are out of the system its hard to get back in so i would stay in if you can

Please keep in touch

love

Hi, I read these forums every day, but never had the courage to actually join and post. Theres so much going on right now, so i'll just go for it and type away, apologies if its a bit long...

I am 26 and have had mental health problems since I was 16. When I was 17, I was diagnosed with BPD, I have been in hospital twice every year since then, usually for around 2-4 months, and always on a section. I usually let things get so bad and refuse treatment, support etc, that it always comes down to them coming to my home and sectioning me. I was sent to the Henderson in 2000, and stayed for around 4 weeks, but I got really ill, and they decided that it wasn't the right place for me, as it wasn't a personality disorder I had, but a mood disorder, that needed medicating. (I had come off all mets to go to the Henderson, as it is their requirement) In 2002 I moved to a new area, and had a new mental health team. After 2/3 months, my psychiatrist changed my diagnosis from BPD to Bipolar and put me on Lithium, Olanzapine and Citalopram. I have had numerous manic episodes, and plenty of depressive ones too.

My last admission was in December of last year. I was admitted because they stated that I wa shaving a mixed episode. I was in hospital for 4 months on a section 3. I have had a CPN, who has been my CPN for nearly 4 years. Whilst in hospital my psychiatrist of 4 years left, and I was given a locum. Then another locum, then another. The last locum decided that I didn't need medication, that I didn't have Bipolar and that it was BPD. He knew me for 3 weeks when he made these decisions. Up until then, in ward rounds, diagnosis and meds were the same.

I was discharged from hospital in April, and a week after discharge I received a letter from this locum psych saying that he was discharging me from 117 aftercare, my care plan was to be changed from enhanced to standard, and he was discharging me back to my GP. I have been on enhanced CPA and section 117 aftercare for 8 years. I then got a further letter to say that my CPN was discharging me. So in 4 weeks, I went from having Bipolar and needing meds probably for life, to having BP, no psych, no CPN and no mental health team at all.

I am totally baffled, I have had a mental health team since I was 16, at a guess, I have been sectioned over 16 times, all on section 3's. How on earth can they do this. Part of me is happy, because I was so sick of them checking up on me every week, but the other part of me is extremely angry, and I just don't know what to do. I may well have BPD. But I know for sure I have Bipolar, the manic episodes I have had and been hospitalized for would confirm that. I just don't get it.

I haven't been co-operative with my mental health team for a long time, when i'm well, then yes, i'm in contact, but as soon as I start to get ill, I withdraw, and ignore everyone, stop meds etc etc. Maybe that's why there washing there hands of mel. I am well for 6-8 months, no self harm, no mood changes nothing, and then I have an episode, usually mania, but sometimes depression. I have read lots about BPD, and as far as I can see the only real part of the criteria I match would be the self harm, and impulsive behaviour. But I only self harm when having a depressive episode, so maybe every 1-2 years, and I am only impulsive when I am manic, shopping, cleaning, deciding to move house etc etc.

My GP is very supportive, and I know for a fact would be angry that they have discharged me, but part of me doesn't want to go and see her, because I dent want to appear desperate to get them back, but on the same note, I know at some point I will become ill again, and i'm at the age now where I want to try and remain as stable as I can and get on with my life.

I'm also thinking of maybe getting a private assessment, but its alot of money.

Any words of advice, encouragement would be appreciated, I'm just at a loss as to why they have done this when i have been so involved with them for 10 years.

Thanks in advance

Janey

Hi Janey,

I've had snap judgements and some frustrating and some just plain horrible experiences with mental health professionals but ultimately they have helped me.

Maybe you would find it helpful at the moment to consider your symptoms jsut that- a group of symptoms rather than any particualer diagnosis.

Please,please,please go and see your GP however and sooner rather than later.

I wish you all the best

sallyx

Firstly, hello and welcome! :)

Secondly, it is awful the way you have been treated. Go to your gp, and explain all that has happened.

I think that the decision really needs to be reviewed...How someone who has known you for such a short time, can over-ride all the decisions made by someone that knew you and your illness well is beyond me. It is terrible.

I know you don't want to bother your GP, but really it is the best way to go.

I don't really know what else to say...

I hope you can get something sorted.

Take care x

Archived