Mental Health Forums

Major Tremors

Daisy

Hi...

I have a qn or really a problem that id love some advice or help on if anyone can help.

I have been having bad few weeks, i always shake (mostly my hands) but last few weeks its been getting worse, but not terrible that i cant do anything.

However over the past 4-5days I started a new med and I also went back to work after a little trip away.

Over the past 4 days my tremors (shaking) in my hands has gotten so bad that I can not type, i cant pour drinks or ice creams, pretty much I cant do my job 100% cause my ahnds are shaking, I cant write my paper work and i cant hold a drink unless its with 2 hands.

Im pretty sure part of its to do witth the meds and part of it to do with anxiety/panic atacks wahtever...but does ANYONE have any ideas to try calm it down so i can maybe just do my job?

Its rEALLY REALLY BAD, even my boss is a little wary of it and asks me if im ok.

I see the Dr on Friday and I wwill be asking or telling him about it then butuntill then i still cant sign documents and do things, wondering if anyone else does anything hwen they are shaking (have bad tremors) that helps.

Thanks in advance need all the help i can get, it even effects my driving, typing, concentration, its a bit of an issue

Hugs Katy

I don't have any advice, but I recall that you may have taken more than your prescribed dose of lithium recently..and were warned against it by a few people, becuase toxity is really not good with lithium.

I think one of the side-effects of lithium toxicity is shaking and tremors. Did htis start after you took the extra doses of lithium?

Have you seen your doc about this?

Sorry you are feeling bad and i don't have any advice other than see your doctor.

Take care hon..

HUGS

Claire

Tx for replies.

Claudine I see Dr on friday i want ot try wiat till then since its WWED tommorow, might see if i can, not sure...u know how i dont like to call between appts..but ill se how i go.

Claire _ I did take too much but not that much lithium only about 8 pills instead of 2 and i havnt taken any since Sunday (its now tues night) would i realy be shaking from that still? (if it was that)

ANy ideas on how to help calm it down even if its just temp or till I see Dr on Friday? It doenst seem to be giving up and the insomnia with this isnt helping as im so irirritable when I cant sit still..grr....

Thanks again anyhow

katy

Katy,

You could be shaking from not taking your lithium. You have to stop messing around with those meds! Talk to your doc about what you have been doing. Also, after you have been on meds for a while some of the side effects like shaking will dissapear and there are some meds that they can give you for side effects (like cogenten). But we aren't doc's and lithium is no med to mess around with so please be truthful and start over.

bets

lithium can cause the tremors for a quite a while and it can get that bad that writing is difficult. this is what can happen when you take too much lithium katy. has the nausea and dizziness gone away yet???? how about the hallucinations and jittery voice going have they gone yet?? these are all side effects of lithium toxicity. and you know what is concerns me the most......the fact that this will not show up in the level you had taken the other day.

it was not long enough for the levels to rise in your blood. however if your doc took a blood test now im sure you level will be too high for someone just starting on the drug. it took a long time for my levels to get theraputic and then without fault of mine i went toxic and it was shocking. that was 4 weeks ago (i think) and im still getting side effects from it even though my level now is much much lower.

please katy as the other member has said please take your meds as prescribed. and dont mess around with any medication.

you take care, if i sound harsh i dont mean to be, but as the saying goes

sometimes "YOU NEED TO BE CRUEL TO BE KIND"

lol

stace

Thanks for replies...

I honeslty refuse to take the lithium due to wieght gain as a side effect, thats the only reason ill take my new med cause its got weight loss and so far it does.

However - on the basis of what you have all said here, aside from scare the crap out of me I WILL tell my Dr on FRIDAY the truth about what ive been doing with the meds :( as scary as that is going to be, I can NOT work or drive or do anything properly with things the way they are at the moment, so i guess im going to have to fess up cause my Job is far too important for that otherwise.

Ragdoll - Neasue's, dizzzy sometimes and shaking still thier. So like i said ill defiantly be telling the dr, cause to be 100% honesty I AM SCARED NOW.

Thankyou for waking me up I guess.

Kinda gotta happen............

katy will walk away and ponder her stupidity and start to figure out a way of telling the Dr on friday. As ill have to plan it or write it down cause its not gonna be easy.

tx Katy

hey there mate

just about the weight gain, lithium can actually perpetuate anorexia and weight loss. that is what i know from research. as some ppl know i love research and research anything that i can where it effects me or someone i know.

please take care, it was not my intention to scare you, but if it did, i hope it did to a positive outcome.

stace

• 2 weeks later...

HI

I found out from my doc the other day that so called 'lithium tremors' can also be induced by the over-medication of mood stabilizers eg: Epilim (sodium valproate)

Just thought I'd chuck that in in case it helps...

Ginny :blink:

Archived