Mental Health Forums

Bpd And Women....

lostsoul

Hi all...

This one is primarily for the girls, but boys, if you have any witty observations about women going mental at that time of the month, then, please do KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! :P

I would really like to know if you experience any of the following:

1) a worsening of bpd symptoms during premenstrual phase

2) absence or irregularity of periods

3) if syptoms of bpd began during onset of puberty

I was just pondering why bpd affects more women than men. We tend to be more emotional than men and this is in part due to our different hormonal make-ups.

It does not seem wide of the mark to suggest that there could be a link between hormonal imbalance / excessive changes of hormone levels (causing too much variable emotion) and the presence of bpd...do you think this could be the case?

Thanks to all who reply,

Hugs,

C XX

Dear Lost,

At 47, I wondered much the same thing, except wondered if it had to do w/fluxuating hormones of premenopause. I have had a new type of test done, one where I had to spit into vials all day long, and have them analyzed. My insurance didn't cover this, and it cost $240, so obviously I was serious about ruling in or out the hormone thing. My own was very high estrogen, and a bit low progesterone, which my doctor wants me to remedy with a hormone cream on my wrists and thighs at a cost of $30/month/not covered. I do plan to give it a try.

The other thing about the woman percentage is that I think, and I may be wrong boys, but I think that women are more often victimized than men.

And finally, Lostsoul, you probably won't get any flack about PMS, but let me warn you, never, ever try to discuss

M-a-s-t-u-r-b-a-t-i-o-n. I got in trouble for that a couple times, though not officially. Joshua was OK with it, well, actually I think he was a fan... ;)

Good topic Lostsoul - I'll let you know how the cream works.

Thanks for the reply verbena!

Interesting...high oestrogen, low progesterone. I did a spit test four years ago (they don't do spit tests here in uk...I sent it to a US company) and the results said that I had the progesterone level equivalent to that of a man or a post-menopausal woman. So I too was oestrogen heavy and low in progesterone. My mother, and her mother also showed this trend.

I tried a cream called progest, or something similar, and it made me very moody!

I should have kept it up but I felt so angry thought I would burst, so I stopped one month in.

Would love to hear of your experience with it.

Cheers again Ver, take care :wub:

I started menopause 2 years ago, I'm 44, very early my GP has said. My mood swings have certainly been worse since then, but I'm not sure if it's due to hormones or the fact that menopause tells me I have entered another stage of life and I'm still not sorted. I've been struggeling since my teens. Also I have no children which causes great saddness and now I never will. Depression,anxiety,eating disorder all started about age 14 along with periods, but again it might not have been due to hormones rather the fact that I did'nt want to be a grown woman which menstration symbolises.

Juaier

yes, I do get worse bpd symptoms before my period

yes, my periods are irregular during periods of great anxiety

hopwever, my bpd symptoms started at age 5

Ginny

i think i do get worse at "that time of the month", my periods have been pretty irregular, tho are starting to get better, and i glad to say not usually s heavy as they have been.(sorry if im grossing out anyone! especially any men reading this!!)

and i think my bpd did start when my periods did, tho i was only diagnosed a year or so ago and started my periods at about 14, and am now nearly 25

My periods are irregular to, when i really stressed they just stop totally sometimes for several months. I do get slightly worse at different times of month but not greatly. I just change randomly. :lol:

My BPD started when i was bout 3 but did get worse when i was about 13.

Take care all

tory

Rapid mood swings are almost constant, have not been helped by Wellbutrin as far as I can tell, and are much, much worse in the approximately 10 days preceding the first day of my period. I too skip periods when I am not handling stress as well. I had thought I may have "stressed" myself into an early menopause, but had a homone test done that showed an imbalance, but did not point to early menopause. Still, I think the imbalance is part of the reason that things have been so fucked the last year or so.

Archived