Mental Health Forums

innermuddle

hey...not sure what to title this really, i guess people are probably fed up woth me posting here now so i want to say sorry for posting a lot but i have struggled the past couple of days. Your encouragements have meant a lot though.

I have not really had depression since coming out of hospital in March but i feel so depressed now. I don't want to motivate myself to do anything, everything is a struggle. I finally got a round to telling catherine that i had alcohol in my mini fridge so i think she will remove it which will be good. I just can't pull myself out of this hole and the dbt stuff is not helping yet, i have only been doing it for a few weeks and am finding it so hard to put it into practice. I just dont know what to do

i cant even cry

Innermuddle no one is sick of you posting, but i know when we feel down that is how we perceive it as moaning, when really we are just trying to reach out and seek some support. We all go through tough times and therefore at certain times need some encouragement and support to keep us going in the right direction or to get us back on track. I am glad you spoke about your alcohol as it can not be helping in terms of it being a depressant in itself as you will already know therefore it can add to our perception and negativity about things.

Guess i just want to say i hope things turn around for you soon, as for the DBT it is early days. Often when we start any type of therapy we feel worse in ourselves and it takes some time to adjust. It is only natural that things will not be second nature to you yet, however with some time and practice i am sure you will get there. Keep trying and we are all behind you.

xxxx

Hiya Inner,

Don't beat yourself up about DBT ... you have only been doing it a few weeks.

You probably wont have learnt too much yet, but you should be doing mindfullness exercises each week???

You know, stare at a flower, hold a stone etc etc !!!! Seems bit crazy doesn't it??!! But ......

The aim of mindfullness is to get you to concentrate soley on one thing ; observing and noticing, but not judging, and not allowing your mind to wander.

The idea is to enable you to use this tecnique out of the group, when things are shouting and crowding in on you, so, if you really really need to cut, then do something else, mindfully .... make a cup of tea, write your name ten times slowly, thinking about the formation of letters, about how your hand feels, etc etc etc, until the need to cut passes.

REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to do .... but it CAN work!!!!

Don't expect too much from DBT too quickly. Be 'mindfull' on today ; don't look too far into the future if it worries you. Mindfullness ----- they will keep on banging on about it, but it is the core of DBT.

Good luck! Keep going.

Innermuddle,

Im glad you told about the alcohol in your fridge it makes the whole situation seem 10 times worse.

Give your therapy time and give youself time. You need to be patient.

Dont worry about posting nothing is a waste of time.

Hope you can cheer up somehow

Ginger

I'm not sick of you posting. You can post as much as you want. As long as it makes you feel better, that's all that matters. I know what you mean about the not feeling motivated bit. Well the depression will pass.

Take care.

Vern

Archived