Mental Health Forums

Ragdoll - Need Your Help

Ginny

I have a diagnosis of somatoform disorder??????

I have tried to look it up but is very ambiguous... also appears to be different types of it.. Anybody know anything??

Raggy - you are a walking encyclopaedia - can you help???

Thanks

Ginny :blink:

Found these bits of info with a google search. Don't know if they're any use.

-----

Definition

Physical symptoms that seem as if they are part of a general medical condition, however no general medical condition, other mental disorder, or substance is present. In this case psychological conflicts may becoming translated into physical problems or complaints. With the number one complaint being of some type of physical symptom, it is no wonder this disorder is often discovered in a general medical setting

-----

Somatoform Disorders

Somatoform Disorders are those conditions that are suggestive of a physical disorder but upon examination cannot be accounted for by a medical disorder, a substance or other mental disorder.

These disorders are usually presented in general medical settings as the patients presume them to be of somatic origin.

To warrant the diagnosis of Somatoform Disorder the symptoms must cause significant impairment or distress.

Somatization Disorder was formerly called hysteria. Primarily affecting women, it generally has its onset in adolescence or early adulthood and lasts for years. Its symptoms usually include a combination of pain, pseudoneurological, digestive and sexual complaints.

Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder is a milder form of Somatization Disorder lasting at least six months.

Conversion Disorder is characterized by unexplained sensory motor deficits which are judged to be psychogenic.

Pain Disorder is diagnosed when the primary symptom is pain and psychological factors are presumed to be important in the etiology, maintenance or exacerbation of the condition.

Hypochondriasis is the fear illness in the absence thereof or exaggeration of symptoms or bodily sensations into serious illness.

Body Dysmorphic Disorder refers to a preoccupation with a presumed or exaggerated physical defect.

-----

Somatoform Disorder: What It Is and How to Cope

What is somatoform disorder?

People with somatoform disorder have a number of different symptoms that typically last for several years. Their symptoms can't be traced to a specific physical cause. In people with somatoform disorder, medical test results are either normal or don't explain the person's symptoms. People who have somatoform disorder often become very worried about their health because they don't know what is causing their health problems. The symptoms of somatoform disorder are similar to the symptoms of other illnesses. People with this disorder may have several medical evaluations and tests to be sure that they don't have another illness.

What are the symptoms of somatoform disorder?

Symptoms of somatoform disorder may include frequent headaches, back pain, abdominal cramping and pelvic pain. Other symptoms include pain in the joints, legs and arms, and chest or abdominal pain. Somatoform disorder may also cause gastrointestinal problems, such as nausea, bloating, vomiting, diarrhea and food intolerance. Sometimes somatoform disorder makes it painful for a person to urinate, even if he or she doesn't have an infection. It can also cause problems with sexual function for both men and women.

What is the cause of somatoform disorder?

No one knows exactly why symptoms of somatoform disorder start. In some cases, there may be a problem with the nerve impulses that send signals of pain, pressure and other unpleasant sensations to the brain. We do know that the pain and problems caused by somatoform disorder are real.

Like many medical problems, somatoform disorder often runs in families. It tends to come and go over time.

How is somatoform disorder treated?

The goal in treating somatoform disorder is for a person to be able to live a normal life as much as possible, even though he or she may still have some pain or other symptoms. Fortunately, somatoform disorder will not shorten a person's life. Although there is no known cure, it can be managed.

Your doctor may be able to prescribe medicine for some of your symptoms, but in many cases you will not need medicine.

The most important part of your treatment is for you to see your doctor for regular checkups. Your doctor will tell you how often he or she needs to see you. You may feel frustrated if your symptoms continue, but remember that somatoform disorder can be very difficult to treat. Your doctor will do his or her best to help you maintain your health.

Take care

Cloudy x

any group of symptoms where a diagnosis can not be made or pinpointed to a physical cause. symptoms can last a long time and for doctors it is hard for them to make a clinical diagnosis

somatoform disorder will not shorten a person's life. Although there is no known cure, it can be managed.

basically all a doctor can do is treat the symptoms.

your thinking that there are different types i think just refers to the fact that there are many symptoms that represent samotoform disorder.

i hope this answers your question appropriatly

stacey aka ragdoll

I was doagnosed with one of those...fibromyalgia.

Don't have it now though. I thought myself well!

Interesting.

Would like to hear more about this Gin.

Hugs

Claire

Thanks raggy, cloudy and claire

I dunno what this is really all about - the docs came up with this one on their own...

I guess I might contact a couple of professionals who can help me out with an explananation of the diagnosis..

Will post if I find anything, seems like a BPD thing to me... :rolleyes:

Take care all

Ginny

Archived