Mental Health Forums

Sertraline

mort

Hi

Been off any meds for 5 months. This is my 4th day of this new meds Sertraline only 50 mg per day but sweats, shaking, nausea etc. I've never heard of it before tried loads of other meds and don't remember so many side effects.

Does anyone know of this one? Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks Mort x :wacko:

Hi Mort,

Sertraline was the first antidepressant i was tried on many years ago, i have to say i was tried on that many that it is hard to recall which was which. I do however remember that i had nausea with it and it made me become really laid back, maybe that is just how i was feeling at the time, then again most antidepressants have made me feel sick. Seeming as it is early days i would imagine these are just initial side effects that in time over the next couple of weeks should wear off, once your body has got use to it. However if you have any concerns or if things get worse you should consult you GP and explain the effects they are having on you. The effects you describe though such as nausea, shaking and sweating are common side effects in these type of antidepressants from the Selective Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI) group. However i am not a doctor and i can not assess the severity of the effects you are having, so just remember to see you GP is you need to.

Sorry you feel so rough and i hope you feel a little better soon.

Take care

As Nutty Says, SSRIs commonly produuce these side-effects

(and sometimes others)

All meds have capacity for side- effects.

I would give it at least a fortnight before youing back to your GP

You are not on a high dose

These side effects should be transient

So I can only say that time is your option just now.

Good Luck

pip

x

I am on sertraline, and have been for about 8 years. Personally, it has transformed my life, and is the only SSRI that i have been on that worked (apart from prozac, but i'm allergic).

I don't remember any side effects, but as pip said you're on a low dose and you should give it two weeks, but if you feel really shit, go to the docs, esp if you get a rash or anything strange.

The only thing I didn't like was that I had a really high sex drive for several weeks, and things, ehem, took about 2 hours to relieve themselves :D . It's brand name was Lustral!!!! Howvere, i felt i was flying for those few same weeks, so didn't reduce dose as was having so much fun.

I think paroxetine gave me similar side effects to the ones you're describing, also made me tired and didn't help with my depression. I think you just have to experiment and find something that hopefully works for you.

Dxx

Thanks guys

I'm sure it's just my memory playing tricks coz I've been on loads of meds before. But I can't remember any side effects (other than being a zombie). Maybe it's because meds were started in hospitals before and I felt safer. I'll persevere probably being a wimp.

mort x

I recieved a letter from pdoc today saying she was changing me to Sertraline due to my probs with citolpram ...I am quite nervous after reading this post

Mrs Tree

mrs tree and mort im on this drug and im fine this is first stuff ive been on without and sideeffect and im pretty bad with meds. im on the most you can have of this stuff so try not to worry i know its all about us in using it and we are indivual but im sure you be ok..

hope you both find it ok soon enough. as i am.

• 2 weeks later...

I started on Sertraline yesterday and in the afternoon I was puking my guts up.. However today I've felt ok.

Have people had positive experiecnes with this drug and how long did it take to start to work for you?

I have now been on them for about 17 days.

The side effects are gone thank goodness that nausea was awful! But I have to be honest and say that my emotions are still all over the place. That could be me though, I think they work differently on everyone and I might need a higher dose. Don't know professional type stuff sorry.

Hope they help others.

tc

mort x

I have now been on them for about 17 days.

The side effects are gone thank goodness that nausea was awful! But I have to be honest and say that my emotions are still all over the place. That could be me though, I think they work differently on everyone and I might need a higher dose. Don't know professional type stuff sorry.

Hope they help others.

tc

mort x

im on 150 mg sertraline and i dont have any side effects.

I've been on Sertraline for nearly a year now, with the dosage upped twice - now on 150. For me, it started to work after a few weeks and the side effects wore off after about 2 weeks of taking it. They come back if I miss tablets, though. I have to admit, it seems to help me a little for a while and then it just doesn't seem to be enough & the problems come back. I guess as with any drug it needs to be combined with some sort of therapy, change in lifestyle or life pressures etc. This drug did at least give me my confidence back.

Hope this helps.

Take care. x

CC

I'm on 50mg a day. I still feel ill every day, I vomit most days. :huh:

I've been taking it for a week now. I've had the odd alcoholic drink, I hope I'm not ruining things, but I am an alcoholic.. and I'm doing really well hardly drinking.

I don't really eat either.

Mort

You could enquire about the dosage issue with the doctor.

However I don't think ADs are meant to even out one's moods.

I think they are meant to bring back interest in life.

Glad for you the side effects have lessened!

Regards,

(((All)))

and thank you

I might need some sort of mood stabiliser then. Been on a few before but hate the thought of side effects weird really when I can do so much damage to myself but don't like the thought of prescribed stuff damaging me! :wacko:

Got pdoc next week and will then have been on these for a month.

tc

mort x

I took Sertraline for quite awhile until I ran out of insurance back in Jan of '96. It was only a Brand name drug then (Zoloft, here in the US) so was quite expensive. I liked it very much, except for the (ahem!) sexual side effects. More than worth it though, for me.

I never had a nausea problem such as you describe, but for a long time I only took 25 mg per day. I seldom drank while on it, either. My eating patterns seemed pretty stable back then, as well.

You really shouldn't be having side effects as severe as what you have described to us. Even if they are finally down to 'nausea only ', how much good can this med be doing you, if your body just keeps vomiting the stuff back up?

Perhaps one of the new, GOOD kind of mood stabilizers plus a small dose of either the SSRI you currently take or another one would help? Lamotrigine (Lamictal here, costing over $5 per tablet) has helped me immensely but didn't quite give me back any kind of energy, consequently I'm trying out an SSRI just now myself.

There are also the SNRIs, Seretonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors, which are far newer. Often it's a matter of experimenting, to find a 'cocktail' of a few things which will allow you the desired effect. Usually, that means being able to use sub-clinical levels of them all, which makes it a pretty safe bet for your body organs. All this stuff is murder on our livers and sometimes kidneys, so I'd rather take very small doses of 3-4 things than a huge dose of only one.

Ask your pdoc for some more 'help' when you see him next week. You'll have been on the Sertraline about 4 weeks by then, sounds like. It could be time for a change, or for something in addition to it. I do wish you much luck in getting this resolved!

allpsychedout

i am been started on sertaline today...I raised my concerns about the sickenss people here had on top of morning sickness but he said as i was already on an SSRI he wasn't worried..watch this space i guess

• 5 months later...

I've been on and off of Sertraline/zoloft for 8 years and I still like it. It is the only thing that takes away the majority of my suicidal feelings (I do still get them sometimes tho). The only side effect I get is fatigue. I'm on 100mg. I've gotten off of it before and it was hell - the withdrawals consisted mainly of dizzyness and depression.

I bet if you really need the medication your on your body won't reject it - its brain food to me!

I've been on and off of Sertraline/zoloft for 8 years and I still like it. It is the only thing that takes away the majority of my suicidal feelings (I do still get them sometimes tho). The only side effect I get is fatigue. I'm on 100mg. I've gotten off of it before and it was hell - the withdrawals consisted mainly of dizzyness and depression.

I bet if you really need the medication your on your body won't reject it - its brain food to me!

im on 50mg sertraline and it doesnt seem to do as much as when i was on 150mg but it killed my sex life so i reduced it to 50mg. hugs ivy xx

I've been on this for about 3 weeks now after being on escitalopram; the only change I've noticed since swapping the two (I did a straight swap) is that I'm now sleeping a lot more. Night sweats, shakes, dead head are all still the same.

strat

Archived