Mental Health Forums

Flashbacks

claudine

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is there a difference between the kinds of flashbacks you have based on the disorder you suffer from? Or is it a matter of severity? Some flasbacks I have are short bursts that disorient momentarily, others seem to take over, relocate you to the time and place. You hear, feel even smell the same things. These are thankfully infrequent, but when triggered can fuck me up good for the day.

((((((((((((((((claudine)))))))))))))))

i don’t know why they’re different, i try to forget everything lol, avoid anything that might be triggering, but this is just one way of coping, and probably not good one! about being different with different mental health disorders, i don’t know :blink: i think its hard for everyone, for me things are worse when im more ill, but that’s just cos u cant cope as well!

hope you’re ok today…

take care, jo xxxx

• 5 weeks later...

Hi claudine

I dont think it matters what kind of disorder u have if you are going to get a flashback you will and it s just that they vary in intensity depending on what the flashback is about, how bad the experience was that gave you flashbacks in the first place. I get them usually they are fairly mild and happen anytime daily/weekly etc but if I am ill at the time then they will be more intense, I guess it's a personal thing.

hope they ease up for you

elleanor

It is always really, really unclear to me what triggers my flashbacks. I was driving in the country last summer, watching the tall grass swaying by the road, and it just took off from there and ruined the rest of the day. My t at the time would only say "It was a memory." No advice, no explanation of how or why - God, that guy really did not like working with me. ANYWAY, they happen often, are usually unclear, but do cause anxiety and then sleepy depression.

I have persuaded myself that something happened to me at the age of three years old considering certain memories that I have of the event. I have spoken to some friends and therapists about it because I am not exactly sure and they have all come to the conclusion that I was probably sexually abused. But, I can't be 100% sure. I am terrified that I may remember one day and I will completely freak out. On the other hand I would really like to be hypnotized so I can remember exactly what occured. For some reason I have unconsciously suppressed a lot of memories. Even from a few years back I cannot remember certain events. I keep a lot of important e-mails especially from my therapists and I was reading one from a few years back about the horrible situation with my mother and I had completely forgotten until I read my e-mail. Is anyone else like that? Do you think its safer for you to suppress the memories? Now I am starting to see a new therapist I have been feeling extremely anxious and I think its because my sessions are forcing me to remember events that my mind has unconsciously forgotten to protect me.

Baila

It is always really, really unclear to me what triggers my flashbacks. I was driving in the country last summer, watching the tall grass swaying by the road, and it just took off from there and ruined the rest of the day. My t at the time would only say "It was a memory." No advice, no explanation of how or why - God, that guy really did not like working with me. ANYWAY, they happen often, are usually unclear, but do cause anxiety and then sleepy depression.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived