Mental Health Forums

Depression/stress/anxiety

niceguynorthwales

hello to all

im new to this, have joined to help myself with some problems and hopefully help others who have suffered

i was wondering if anyone could advise me of how they have overcome depression which i found seem to be linked with stress and anxiety, which i hope will help in ridding myself of these complaints entirely.

many thanks

Hi there! I've been depressed since puberty...

I'm not sure that it ever really leaves once it's got it's hook in your heart, but there are a multitude of things you can do to lighten to gloom, and make it a little more barable.

What are your interests? What do you get pleasure out of? Do you enjoy movies, TV, Books? Or do you enjoy getting outside and walking in the fresh air? Do you enjoy cooking, and experimenting in the kitchen? Do you write (creative) or paint, or sculpt? What music makes you tick?

To me, it's all about distracting myself, and trying to keep my mind diverted. It isn't easy (and it doesn't always work :angry: ) but anything that takes your mind from the dark clouds has to be a positive thing.

Otherwise, you could post in here. We're supportive, empathetic (some of us are more that a little peculiar in the head!) and many of us have funnies to offer. There's a great deal of humour in here. It's sometimes hard to believe when we're all so screwed up.

Best advice for the dreadful depression storms is to try to get somewhere safe and comfortable, with people you know and who understand you. Sometimes that isn't always easy, which is why posting in here helps.

On a crazy dippy hippy tone, you could try incense, soothing music and meditation :wacko:

was wondering if anyone could advise me of how they have overcome depression which i found seem to be linked with stress and anxiety, which i hope will help in ridding myself of these complaints entirely.

LOL can you ask an easier question

:welcomeani:

I've found Timeline which is part of Neuro Linguistic Programming very good...works on a subconscious level where all that negative stuff is held.

hello to all and many thanks for your replies, as for alchohol, i find it helps at the time but seems to make things worse the day after, mind you that doesnt stop me at weekends lol, i cant accept that it will be with me, or anyone else for that matter for life, i am aware that others have been affected far worse than myself

and i know that past bouts have been worse, in other words as time goes on bouts are becomming easier and less severe, maybe im just too impatient.

what i posted for was to ask others what they do to alleviate these dark periods, im unaware of anyone i know who has endured similar periods, and i find that people who have never experienced this, simply just do not understand, and i dont blame them, neither would i have, just a few years ago.

i refuse to accept that this will be my lot for life, there must be a way out, and there must be individuals who have succeeded in overcoming the old black dog, but where are they, and how did they overcome it

many thanks

john

Hi and welcome.

Wish I had an answer for you but been struggling with depression all my life. Have tried therapies, medication, alcohol, hobbies, education, work etc. etc. and am still here depressed. Just sometimes are better than others.

My pdoc recently said to accept that I will always have it. I find that too defeatist but he said that accepting it like you would a physical illness and not fighting against it would actually help!

Don't know what to believe or how to help you. Maybe someone will be able to give you a more positive answer. If not then at least here you will find understanding.

mort x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John,

I get a lot of depression anxiety and all the rest of it.

I am worse and worse

But only for specific reasons because my needs are not looked after

I arrived at this flat but didn't move in (unpack)

As a single person I look to others

But there is no framework

it is random whether something is done for or with me or not

That includes professionals too

If you like use an introductory thread

As well as this one

ahhhhhhhhhh don't know how to answer this without making u feel worse, and that ain't the idea :)

i've suffered with sever depression for as long as i can remember, the darkness i call it, it never goes but i have learnt that life goes on and u have to b strong and not let it beat u.......... i find it can be managed if u don't play into it's game............ maybe accept that it's there, part of u but it can make u who u r and can be just a part of u that is managed. i think it's when we battle it and try and figure it out is when we become escauted and dwell on the 'why me' stuff.

nice to meet u, look forward to getting to know u more, hugs, me x

when i was younger i had severe depression and really thought it would kill me, i have dark patches now and am going through one at the moment but i have had a few years in between where i was fine and my best friend had depression and has been recovered for years.

What helps, well here are things that helps me

• talking regularly to someone i trust
  • doing at least one thing a day for be ie bubble bath, scenic walk, music, prayer
  • not isolating myself
  • keeping a journal so i have an outlet for my feelings
  • doing regular exercise even when feeling at deaths door - it really does help
  • time with friends/family who you can be real with
  • getting lost in an episode of friends or Ally McBeal
  • going for a massage
  • having a sleep for two hours in the middle of each day
  • time to myself
  • certain medication prescribed by my doctor
  • avoiding alcohol - it is a depressant

not sure if this will help you but they are some of the things that help me

Not alcohol :(

I started to self medicate a few years ago and became addicted...now I'm more depressed than ever.

Seek help from your GP, rest well and see your friends as much as possible.

Much love,

San. X

i am very anxious and depressed right now. so,this is the exact question for me now!.....lol

i used to be much more depressed years ago. sometimes daydreaming saved me! unless i couldnt bear myself and life ....so,instead of thinking of death,i was daydreaming about what my heart needed!.....

most of the time i couldnt do anything for it though. sometimes having sex helped me. also a good book or movie or song.....or a good event ..."Mullhaland Drive"once saved me!!!....

when i am deeply depressed ,the worst thing is going out ,especialy meeting active people...staying at home is better.....but at the peak of my depression,only a good sex can help me. makes me alive and even happy!!!!...........

must say that this site helps me a lot. it's somehow like grouptherapy. gives me lot of courage and hope.

little scared Anahita

Archived