Mental Health Forums

Aripiprazole

Vorpalblade

Anyone on it/been on it?

Pdoc prescribed it yesterday for me alongside my venlafaxine and olanzapine.

He said that he has only ever prescribed it once before because apparently it is kinda new over in UK.

He said it will make me nauseous, which is ok because the olanzapine makes me eat, so that should solve the weight gain issue.

He wants to see me in one week to see how it is settling in with me so it must be quite a potent drug i reckon, but i may be wrong, he usually sees me after one month to check on new meds.

Blade

It is made by BMS - Bristol- Myers-Squibb

Tends to be used in Bipolar I, schizophrenia and mania

It is an atypical anti- psychotic

Doses range from 2-30mg

- guess you will be on a step up approach

and you should be monitored more often on it cos it is new

side effects are like others

- nothing or something

eg headache, constipation, dizzinesss

rarely can affect nerves

ALSO

can raise blood glucose levels

and higher risk of type II diabetes

- hence the monitoring

Hope that is enough info

and side effects don't affect you

Good Luck

pip

x

well, i took one yesterday afternoon after i got them and half hour later i was zonked on the sofa for 2 hours!! I am supposed to take these on a morning b4 work!! hmmm!

going to take one on saturday morning and see what happens.

It ranks in the very low category for sedation...So give it a couple of days over the weekend and see how you go with it hun. Hopefully that should wear off soon.

Good luck! Hopefully you will be able to take it before work, without falling asleep at your desk! The kids would be impressed! Lol.

hmm Pip, hope you are reading this.

both thurs n fri i took 5mg after work instead of morning when supposed to, i was comatose for 2 or 3 hours.

this morning i took 10mg and was out of it til 2pm!!

will take 10mg tomorrow morinng and see what happens

but there is no way i can risk taking the dose on monday b4 work.

is it gonna be like this all time u reckon or just til body gets used to it?

Some thoughts

- About something else, Mind told me: adjust dose first tell GP after (e.g halve, pill splitter from some chemists and health food shops about £4 to 5). Maybe they are rather radical on occasion?

- Did strong sedation wear off quick enough with other drugs? Whether it does or not, might be a general rule with you as an individual like I think it is with me as one

- Evening dose instead of morning?

xx

Hi, Blade. Wanted to respond to this thread to make sure you won't need to continue taking the Olanzapine along with your new Abilify. That Olanzapine for sure turns everybody in to 'eating machines'--it did for me, even though I took only half the smallest dose.

I've not taken the other, but an acquaintance here in town got on it and did quite well. She was even able to lose some weight. Here in the US, you can get smaller doses than 10 mg; perhaps the whole 10 mg at once every day has hit you a bit hard? It is common practice here in the US (where it's only available in the VERY expensive brand name version) to begin at far lower doses and work up to whatever helps you best. Some folks do much better on sub-clinical levels, at least initially.

In talking with others in a support group here I used to attend regularly, Abilify seems to be the definite 'drug of of choice' among the atypical antiphsychotics. It became available in the States in 2002, I believe, whereas Olanzapine (Zyprexa), Risperidone (Risperdol), and Quetiapine (Seroquel) came out at least 2-3 years before that. Seems that here, Abilify seems to be the preferred drug.

I wish you much luck in figuring out how best to deal with it. For so many it has become a miracle drug. :)

allpsychedout

Archived