Mental Health Forums

Chinese Whispers

gingernut

Some people know this about me but I am going for a career in nursing and to get into the University course you need to pass a criminal records bureau check (CRB) and occupational health check. I have filled out all the forms and had the interview but my place hasnt been confirmed for the October start.

My old CPN is late with writning the report I asked him to write nearly 3 weeks ago and I havent had anything back about the criminal records. Dont get me wrong I have never been charged but I have been told that contact with the police will show up at a local level.

Today I phoned up the University and asked which I have been putting off for ages. Here is what happened in the conversation:

"Hello my name is Joanne blah blah (name concealed for legal reasons :D )

I have applied for nursing and was wandering whether you have received my forms back as I sent them away ages ago"

They look my info up somewhere and come back

Woman on phone says "yes actually we received it back yesterday"

Me in a jokingly manner"Oh ok good timing then, is it all come back ok I was worried I had committed some sort of offence"

Woman on phone says "yes its all come back fine you will probably receive your copy in the post soon"

Me "brilliant thanks for that I was abit worried"

Woman on phone "thats ok bye" etc etc etc

You see now what happens with me is I replay things in my head like a game of chinese whispers and soon if I dont focus it will come out like this:

Obviously we can do without the introductions again

Woman on phone says "yes actually we received it back yesterday"

Me in a jokingly manner"Oh ok good timing then, is it all come back ok I was worried I had committed some sort of offence"

Woman on the phone says "Well there are a few discrepancies that you failed to mention so you will probably not get onto the course, I dont want to tell you on the phone but along with the letter from the crb agency you will be getting a letter from us stating that we dont think you are the right individual for the job"

Anyway really I need this post to tell me that it is a positive step even though I havent been cleared by occ health.

This is thanks to you guys in chat that freaked me out enough to get my butt into gear and use the phone.

Ginger

Ginger reading your post made me smile, i put off phone calls and fear the worst and then when i make them i am like why did i play the what if's over in my head so much. I could have easily written your post.

At least your one step forward now and i really hope that it all works out for you, you deserve it. Keep us posted i worried so much about occupational health at first but it wasn't that bad, although my opinion of them in different now. They usually get you to see a nurse and then if you have any complicated issues like i did then you usually have to see a doctor just the way it goes, i am sure all will be fine.

Best of luck with it all.

Thanks you guys.

I am not dwelling on what it could mean in my little mind and thinking of it as well positive.

A career means so much to me you wouldnt believe. Probably too much but who cares today is a good day.

I am probably going out to celebrate this little bit of news tonight.

Ginger

Hey Ginger thats excellent news!!!!

Am sorry if we scared you in chat last night but am glad that it has had a positive outcome!

Glad you finally made the phone call and keep us posted of how it all goes,

Jodi 666

Ginger you go and celebrate its all a step in the right direction, i know how it feels to want something so much, you keep going in the right direction and we will get there in the end, my fellow muppet :P .

In the meantime 666 coming your way (i bet some people think we are mad on here unless they are regular chatters with our 666 code).

Take care you done a good thing today be proud, as i am proud of you for making that step, i know how hard it can be to take that plunge and ring :). Now go enjoy yourself thats on order and you know when i show my authority i mean it :lol: .

Ginger,

I always have the second conversation and I don't phone at all.

Like my forthcoming CMHT appointment!

I enjoyed this thread immensely

Carry on being on-the-ball won't you

If one door shuts another will open eventually.

xx

I know Im trying not to read other peoples posts, so please feel free to ignore this one.

I have made the phonecall to the university again with reference to occupational health. My old RAF CPN has not sent it into them yet and they have advised me to chase it up with him. I have and he is in a meeting today. (Military organised precision thats all I can say)

I am supposed to start on the second of October fro crying out loud, this is not going entirely to plan. There is so much to organise and what is the point if I will get a rejection letter anyway?

I am sat here now wandering as the University phoned him up yesterday that the meeting is about me and the fact that they dont want to write the report? Paranoia I hope.

Ah well thats all I can say.

Ginger

Maybe I shouldnt even try nursing as i cant help myself sometimes.

Hi Ginger,

Don't give up on your dream just yet! Wishing you the very best of luck and I hope they pull their bloomin fingers out before they give you a nervous breakdown!

Hugs from Stephxx

ginger 666

I'm so sorry that I missed this post before. But I've been in and out of chat a lot too. (mostly in!)

I'm also sorry if the chat scared you into doing it ( :lol: ) But am really glad that you did. I'm so proud of you.

You have made a huge step on the road to fulfilling your dream to become a nurse. I hope it all goes well for you.

I so understand yours and other's comments on the "mind" conversations we have with ourselves but you are braver than me, you have made an actual move forward instead of dithering like I do! :wacko:

I really hope that you find out something definite soon.

You go for it girl and I wish you all the best. I think you would make a great nurse.

tc

mort x

"I have made the phonecall to the university again with reference to occupational health. My old RAF CPN has not sent it into them yet and they have advised me to chase it up with him. I have and he is in a meeting today. (Military organised precision thats all I can say)"

Joanne - tell the shitbags to pull their finger out or i'll think of them everytime i clean out Scooby's litter tray!

Dxx

Dan I dont think they will care about your litter tray thoughts especially when they have big rifles but I will see how it goes again tomorrow.

I guess I am in a bit of a downer to day as it has been dragging on for too long now and I have had a few other things to deal with.

I will leave this post before it turns into a negative one as I am losing abit of confidence in myself.

Thanks for your support guys

Ginger

You hope it's paranoia

Now that's what I call sanity

Good for you :D

(that was my cure for helicopters)

Hoping it gets sorted soon enough not to spoil the practicalities

• 2 weeks later...

Got the CRB form back in concrete through the post yesterday. Its all clear and doesnt mention any of my past police relations. Yippee. So that means I can scrub the second conversation altogether.

Also London Irish beat Saracens yesterday in the cup. So double yippee.

I am a student tomorrow, Oh my God what have I done???? Just better not kick me off the course when they get the report back.

Ginger

Archived