Mental Health Forums

Zopiclone

sundries

No idea dude, but anything more than the prescribed dose is too much...

Although I THINK 7.5mg is tops

Spliffy

The dosage is 7.5mg and this is the only dosage. they cant be halved either or increased.

For renally impaired patients the dose is 3.75mg

Maintenance dose is 7.5mg

It is non-toxic in OD

I am on 15mg (Off liscense)

I was on 22.5mg

If nothing else

I impress myself as to how I know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pip

x

Sorry you are wrong Julie

I'm on 15mg and my psych, cpn and therapist all know that I am. I think it's too high and I still have sleep problems (1 good night in 4 or 5), but cutting it down would rock the boat and I've not been told to.

Sorry,

what exactly is your question?

I could talk about zopiclone for an hour and not answer it

- do you want to cut down?

- do you want to increase?

Sorry - am not sure

How long have you been taking it for?

pip

x

oh its just cos i was prescribed it cos my other drug was making me highish and i wasnt sleeping. i took 1 (7.5) tablet at 10pm, one at 2am and one at 4am all without effect.

Anyway i went and told my doctor that and that he should give me temazapam as that had always worked before. But I realised when I came back that I wish i hadnt admitted to playing with the dose and i wanted to check id been within reasonable range (which i wasnt unfortunately, though it had no effect, but now i feel bad about it)

Anyway i have hte temazapam now.

For renally impaired patients the dose is 3.75mg

Maintenance dose is 7.5mg

It is non-toxic in OD

I am on 15mg (Off liscense)

I was on 22.5mg

If nothing else

I impress myself as to how I know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pip

x

Sorry you are wrong Julie

Hi Pip the dosage is from the bnf, i guess that refers mainly to the maintenance dose. it also is very addictive. I suppose meds affect individuals differently. tolerance etc. thanks anyway

Julie

we agreed on maintenance doses.

My information is fron MIMS

- which is updated monthly

- not the British National Formulary

I perhaps was more in depth than you

That is because I am qualified in the Pharmaceutical Industry

Are you unhappy with my response?

pip

x

BSc, PhD, ABPI

I am not being funny Pip, however i think your reply totally undermined any of Julie's Knowledge. Whilst i know and understand that you have alot of pharmaceutical knowledge. I found your post quite patronising, thats just my take on it. At the end of the day the it is usual for 7.5mg to be prescribed and yes in some instances people may be given more but its not that common, however as with anything in life there are exception to any rule. Yes in instances of renal impairments 3.75mg may be used and in also in some elderly patients who may need to build up to the maintenance dose. I just wonder if someone had replied to your post as you did, would you have felt they were undermining your knowledge?

My knowledge is correct Nutty

Thank you for the feedback

Pip i did not question your knowledge, yes it is correct. However i do still feel the way you replied undermined someone elses original response, i just did not like the way you said what you said. Like i said thats my opinion, take it as you wish, interpret what you may.

Stratiotes i hope you get sorted whatever concerns you have with your doctor.

Strat & Sundries,

I admit my first ever CMHT appointment is not till tomorrow, but I got the impression practitioners would often welcome patients' ideas about whether an existing dosage was too high for them, apparently it is thought to be therapeutic to feel a share of ownership and participation in the discussions around such issues, and also one might sometimes be right about what one believes one is observing happening to one's own body, which might be difficult for the doctor to guess if we didn't say, please would everyone correct or nuance that statement if I am in 'cloud cuckoo land' over it.

I got this impression from booklets I sent off for from other charitable bodies in the mental health field and well-known self-help books I have come across on mental health topics.

Hi

I've been on maintenence dose of 7.5mgs of zopiclone for 3 years. Its not enough any more and if I want to sleep I have to take at least 15mgs. Unforutunately, my GP won't up the prescription. This means that I have a completely chaotic sleep pattern (which is not a pattern in fact). Taking 7.5 is useless so I have to alternate between insomnia, cheap cider, cheap red wine, overeating, and indulging my zopiclone habit every other few days just to get thru 28 days. Because those things knock me out, I should add, in case anyone was wondering.

I am thinking of signing up with two GPs to see if I can wangle two prescriptions. I have heard of plenty of people doing that and in London anything is possible.

Pip, how did you manage to get such a high dose, what can I say to my GP?

Real

A shrink had me on 22.5mg

I guess I am so obnoxious they wanted me zonked!!!!!!!!

another shrink reduced it to 15mg

now it is on repeat

- but my sleeping pattern is VERY similar to yours

(except, I don't like cider!)

Hypnotics are crap long-term

sorry

pip

x

Most will only prescribe 7.5mg because because at this strength the residual effects are minimal. If you were to go up to 15mg, you are left with more residual effects, some of which can be quite undersirable. So even though you have self administered that dose, it doesn't mean a doctor will be willing too. Some doctors would probably be more willing than others though.

I thought when you signed up with a new doctor, all your records were transferred, and as such, you are no longer registered at your previous doctor? Or at least that was how it was when I was at uni, and registered, then came back and couldn't see my gp, because I was no longer on thier books...

Good luck with it though.

Most will only prescribe 7.5mg because because at this strength the residual effects are minimal. If you were to go up to 15mg, you are left with more residual effects, some of which can be quite undersirable.

Jopo, I am sorry, but that is not true.

Zopiclone has a half-life of 2.5 hours.

The dose of 7.5mg is effective and as such the maintenance.

You can take 100 zopiclone and wake in a few hours.

It is non-toxic

hence, why so highly prescribed to suicidal patients.

Everything I have said can be backed by clinical evidence

pip

x

BSc(Hons),PhD,ABPI

Well damn I am going to have to invent a whole new person for myself. Maybe I could use my ex-flatmates details? She no live in UK anymore. I'm probly not thinking straight due to insomnia......

Archived