Mental Health Forums

Anti Psychotics

innermuddle

anyone know of any good anti psychotics other than olanzapine or quatiapine as have tried both of those and put on weight plus my GP said the latter had long term affects ( that may not be true in all cases though )

You need to discuss this with your GP

Most anti-psychotics do cause weight gain

Every patient react differently to EVERY drug.

It really is a trial approach - sorry.

pip

x

BSc(Hons),PhD,ABPI

Talking to gp as pip suggested would be a good idea. I do take them and have been on them for a long time but different things work for different people!

Hope you find the right one for u!

Tory

on depixol depot over 2 years; initially was very grateful as stopped madness not touched by other drugs. but slowly realised had become complete zombie. may have been oversensitive or cumulative effects, dont know. No particular weight gain but then i had no interest in anything, inc food

One friend takes 1 mg risperdal (considered an unusually low dose).

She looks a bit bloated with water but seems cheerful & relaxed about it as well as about life generally, compared with before, and is successful in her studies and social life.

I think the quantifying of dosages is crucial. I keep hearing of people who do well on low doses but that might just be coincidence.

There may be measures to help one eject fluids sufficiently.

I was supposed to try risperdal 0.5 mg or less, but have stopped while the long term effect of something else (taken previously) finished wearing off. From tomorrow I'll have the CMHT to discuss all this sort of thing with!

I think risperdal was calming me, though something was making me numb, hot and stiff - it might have been the combination of the two.

There are still a few you could try. Some cause less weight gain than others. Olanzapine being one of the worst. But as has been mentioned, everyone reacts differently, and where one person will gain an excessive amount of weight, another will not gain a pound.

So you are best talking to your gp, or psych about what they suggest. And make sure you tell them you are concerned about the weight gain.

I found quetiapine to not make me gain any weight, but I gained a ton on olanzapine.

Good luck hun.

thanks for your help, will talk to my GP just didnt want to be forced into olanzapine again if they felt i needed new drugs - i am jumping ahead though as am hoping my psych will say i dont need any

Archived