Mental Health Forums

Bpd And University

bored-a-line

...are there any bpd sufferers who had a positive experience at university (in terms of their work).

is university suitable for bpd sufferers?

personally i am quite good at repressing myself into doing things that are extremely unpleasant and unrewarding for me..so maybe im a bit different to others people.

..just wondered if my shit experience with trying to decide what my place is in the world and what to dedicate my life to was a bpd thing or a repressed person thing.

any of you who are really into your work/study and dont keep changing your focus?

anyone actually stuck out a degree..how did you manage?

Dear Bord-aline

I went to university a couple of years ago and managed to get my degree. It was probably the most difficult and the most demanding thing i could ever have put myself through. I have varying feeling about doing it as the ccourse i choose was a trigger for me but did not realise it, and i did become oobbsessive and evething in my life broke down, however on the positive side nobody believed it would be able to do it so i have great satisfaction in proving everyone wrong. My advice go for it but chose the course carefully and notify the uni you atteend of your BPD i tried to keep it a secret at first and crumbled because of it, but once i informed my tutors i recieved a lot of support. The greatest difficulty for me was maintaining peer relationships at uni.

I went to the university as a non traditional student. That is i couldn't do it when most ppl did. I got my degree when I was 35.

I had first started when i was 17 and couldnt handle anything so it wasnt 3 weeks before i quit going to classes... even ones i liked. boy what a failure. When i went in my 30's I was ready to go and graduated with honors.

So maybe you should listen to your ownself about when it is time to go.

bets

I graduated in 99. I went through the whole uni thing before I became really ill and got diagnosed which definately helped. I had a place to do a masters but chickened out- I no longer trust my brain to learn. I say go for it, I loved uni and it was a great experience for me. I found more acceptance from friends I made there than I ever had before, and I think moving away from family was a good thing for me. I agree with angelface, def inform those that should know of your treatment, you'll find you get loads more support.

Good luck!

Anwen

I wasnt diagnosed with bpd when i was doing my degree but i had the same crazy head that i do now. i loved uni, i felt free and they were the best years of my life, i loved being a student :)

flippy

I am currently at University in my second year i am doing a specially adapted part time BSC(Hons) In Computing which involves studying 3/4 of the credits per year of that of a Full Time student this means it takes me an extra year to complete but it is also flexible i needed no A Levels to start the course and i did not start till i was 20 years old. My lessons are all in the afternoon and evenings which is better due to tiredness from medications. Tell the university your problems when applying as i have lots of help from the Student Services they get extra money for my internet costs, for me to ring helplines and i receive extra time in exams and my own individual room to sit exams with no distractions. Even due to my BPD i am still receiving A's and B's in my modules and i have been told i am on target for a First Class Degree.

At times its a struggle but i just make better use of the times when it is not as much of a struggle and i am a bit better in myself then i study hard in these short periods of time.

Hope This Helps Alison

B)

aaahhh.

so it WAS just my nuttiness that made my studies such a diaster/fiasco not bpd.

good to know, but makes me feel deficient!

good on yous all!

I enrolled in a UNI Degree in 2002 after i finished school - got accepted and freaked out so defered for a year, started it in 2003. did 2 of my 8 subjects that year, freeaked out again and withrdew from them. This year I enrolled but DID NOT do any work im currently in negotiation with my UNI to see if I can stay on at UNI doing 1 or 2 subjects a year, if they let me it will take me 7yrs to do a 3yr degree but I really want to do it..and if they let me i can fast track it and do it in less then 7yrs if i am able to.

I only JUST told them about health problems cuase i was just going to QUIT cause i couldnt do it anymore, but as I *think* Im getting better I want to give it a TRY.

So waiting to see if UNI Will accept me doing it that way, but i do hope in TIME I can do UNI Slowly...and actaully pass!!!!

I would love to train to be mental health nurse.

But so far I have never managed to stick out any kind of further education.

Somehow I managed to gain ten A-C grades at GCSE level despite a terrible attendance level.

Untill this year I had never even managed to hold onto a job for more than 4 months, and hated every minute of that.

Now im in a job, that is basic and simple. It can be done with your eyes closed. Yet I feel comfortable there. I hope to finaly hit the one year mark of sticking something out :P

Then I shall see about a career.

Archived