Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine

Vicky

Anyone got experience with mirtazapine? I spoke to the doctor today and he's taking me gradually off the seroxat and onto this new stuff. He said it's a mild sedative too, so he hopes it'll help me sleep better.

Opinions please?

i am on mirtazapine, they put me striahgt on 30mg which made me sleep all day every day for a week but usually you start on a very small dose. It is a good drug, has really helped my depression and is sedating, i am on 30mg which makes me knackered after an hour of taking it but i have been on lower doses of it and still had my sleep helped. I feel positively about the drug, you are drowsy when you fist take it and and will feel really spaced out maybe for a week or two but if that happens bare with it as it goes away but diff people react differently

Hi Vicky,

I don't have any personal experience of Mirtazapine also known as Zispin. I was prescribed it early last year, however i did not take it because i had heard alot about weight gain with it and that would of depressed me even more. I was given it for the same reason as you, i was very agitated at the time and they thought it might help to calm me down along with lifting the depression. I was prescribed it to coincide with my uni holidays at the time because the doctor said it would make me feel extremely tired at first.

I am assuming you are on 15mg which is the normally starting dose but doses can be increased up to about 45mg if need be. Mine was prescribed to be taken at bedtime because of its mild sedative effect. As with anything there are side effects which often include, increased appetite and weight gain, dizziness, headaches, abnormal dreams, mania, tremor etc. I don't know how common these side effects are but i do know from people that have taken them that weight gain has been there biggest bother. However you could argue that with any anti-depressants once the effects kick in and your mood increases, then you feel more like eating and hence weight gain. So i am not entirely sure about the weight gain, although like i said i think it is far more common on Mirtrazapine than some of the other type anti-depressants.

Anyway sorry for waffling on, there is also a previous post about Mirtrazapine in this medicationt hread somewhere and it a recent post, might help you to check that out. I hope there are some others who can give you are more personal experience of this medication. I hope it works for you.

Take care xxx

I was on mirtazpeine for two years and found it really helpful...I did gain weight but did also manage to loose some when I was on it ..It is a matter of trying to eat healthier when yoou start it i think ...

It was the most effective Anti D I have ever been on and would still be on it if it wasn't for pregnancy.

The lower doses help with sleep but the higher ones can stimulate.

Tc

I'm on 30mg, which did seem like quite a high starting dose, but I wasn't doing too well when I went in this morning, so presumably he thinks I need it. I did feel like I was actually heard, whereas usually I come out of the doctor's kicking myself because I didn't get through to them.

I am a bit worried about the weight gain, and hopefully I won't be too drowsy during the day, cos I ride a motorbike to work.

I'm on 30mg, which did seem like quite a high starting dose, but I wasn't doing too well when I went in this morning, so presumably he thinks I need it. I did feel like I was actually heard, whereas usually I come out of the doctor's kicking myself because I didn't get through to them.

I am a bit worried about the weight gain, and hopefully I won't be too drowsy during the day, cos I ride a motorbike to work.

erm the motorbike worries me as i found it so sedating but see how you get on. I have to take mine at night cause it is so sedating but see how you get on honey

Yeah I'm supposed to take mine at night to help me sleep. Well tonight's the first so wish me luck! I've got to take seroxat every other day though, for a week.

I found the first week was the hardest, but I was taken off seroxat completely and started immediately on mirtazapine so think it may have been partly to do with the withdrawal of the first one. Like Mrs Tree says the higher the dose it can become a stimulant.

Good luck with it.

Be aware of the withdrawal symptoms that may occur when you are coming of the seroxat. There were alot of reports into it a while back, so make sure you keep an eye on it.

30mg is quite a high starting dose, you will probably be knocked out by that at first. And I would recomend when you start taking it, not to use your motorbike, because it can leave you quite groggy in the morning, but obviously you will be the best judge of that. But be safe!

I was on 45mg of mirtazapine(have since taken myself off it) it is supposed to be very effective for getting you out of a big depression. But as others have said it does increace your appetite, obviously if you are careful with what you eat you should not gain any weight. I gained a very minimal amount, well partly because of my ed, and partly because I was very careful, and I found it helped telling myself that I wasn't really hungry, that it was just the meds. And to have plenty of healthy snacks around the house, for when you feel the urge. I found it was worse for me about half an hor after I had taken it...So a big glass of water, and some fruit or a hot drink can help.

I did however find the sedative effect wore off after a while...I guess my body got used to it.

I also didn't find it to be particuarly effective for the depression...But then again, I've never found anything effective! Lol.

But really good luck with it hun! I hope that it helps you. :)

Hi,

I'm on 45mg mirtazapine. been on it for two years. i find it sedating and take it at bedtime, although i am alert enough to drive during the day. but like others have said, i wouldn't ride your motorbike until you're sure you're not affected.

i have put on a lot of weight since i started taking mirtazapine (but then i was on olanzapine for part of that time which also makes you eat more) :(

i wouldn't say that it has cured me of depression but i would say it's the most effective anti-d i have been on. calmed me down and stopped my brain going out of control somewhat. having said that i may be changing because of issues with weight gain and sedation.

anyway. good luck with it. it's worth a go.

Poodle

Hi,

I'm on 45mg mirtazapine. been on it for two years. i find it sedating and take it at bedtime, although i am alert enough to drive during the day. but like others have said, i wouldn't ride your motorbike until you're sure you're not affected.

i have put on a lot of weight since i started taking mirtazapine (but then i was on olanzapine for part of that time which also makes you eat more) :(

i wouldn't say that it has cured me of depression but i would say it's the most effective anti-d i have been on. calmed me down and stopped my brain going out of control somewhat. having said that i may be changing because of issues with weight gain and sedation.

anyway. good luck with it. it's worth a go.

Poodle

i was on 45 mg mirtazipine but have recently reduced it to 30 mg.. i put on 2 stone with it because it makes u so hungey but it is the best anti d iv tried.. am also on sertraline.

After one dose and reading the contribution of the others I would say:

- watch coming off SSRI, I'm still not off my prams properly after leaving them off OVER TWO MONTHS AGO

- don't split a mirtazapine tablet, keep it whole, if necessary ask for smaller ones

(Some patient leaflets say split them, it is not clear what would be meant by that)

- get clearance to space out the first few doses (e.g a dose every two days for four days) if the first one is exceptionally heavy for you

- I have had many of the side effects listed and some similar related things, on one dose. This may mean they will steadily disappear. Some of my worst drugs got worse as I went along!

So, best wishes with it, I am going to persevere for a while yet. I don't know if the team realise I have to work (which I haven't been doing), assume I should work or shouldn't work ...

Archived