Mental Health Forums

Psychiatrists View Of Bpd;

rebeccaborderline

Very interesting reading here, to long to copy in entirety. In my opinion from reading and chatting to people in here, a core BPD characteristic is not anger volatility (or would be a very unpleasant site!) but "Identity disturbance; markedly and persistently unstable self image or sense of self". How many posts have we read with "I hate myself, I am evil"?!

Nice to know the shrinks think so highly of us!

rebeccaborderline

http://www.mcmanweb.com/borderline.htm

. In my opinion from reading and chatting to people in here, a core BPD characteristic is not anger volatility (or would be a very unpleasant site!) but "Identity disturbance; markedly and persistently unstable self image or sense of self".

I never thought we were anger and volatile.

- does everyone else?

I am very angry and volatile.

But only from the perspective of people who don't know me. People who do know me know that it's my illness not me.

But I'd say my self-image is pretty stable - I am UGLY. That's it.

I tried to read the article as best as I could and what I made out of it was we're being dismissed by psychaitry..who knows?? All I can say is bpd is very real and I live it everyday of my life from the time I get up in the morning until the time I go to sleep at night..I was dx back in 2004 by a shrink and was told I have seven of the nine criteria for the disorder and I believe it too..he doesn't dismiss me about it..he's working to get me better so I don't keep landing in hospital all the time..

'She emphasized that people with borderline can change (another speaker referred to the illness as "the good prognosis diagnosis"). Anne concluded with reference to her favorite bumper sticker, "Don’t believe everything you think."'

' People can also modify their biology. The way we think can change our response to stress. Brain studies show two-way traffic between the developed parts of the brain and the primitive limbic system (where the amygdala is located). '

Who liked those bits?!?!

Anyone planning this line of reasoning on their psychiatrist:

'It should not be regarded as shameful to admit to your psychiatrist that you have personality issues. Your psychiatrist probably has more of them than you do.'

Book me a front row seat, it's a while since I was at the theatre!

Or do you dare me to, in three weeks' time?

• 2 months later...

i have no self confidence, a low oppion of my self, when i was younger i was very volitile and people got out of my way quickly, kind of got over most of that but when pushed to the edge am still capable of it.

most of my anger is stuffed and the rest is turned against me.

my motto i cant seem to get rid of from childhood is "your were never any good and you never will be"

excuse my mini rant

bets

• 3 weeks later...

Well said MrsTree

They expect us to be difficult - so they can say we are

(That made sense to me!!!)

pip

x

Problem is that we are very difficult anyway. :P I know for sure I am. Constantly I irritate my friends and push others away with it.

Shrinks just see the facts, and the lack of emotion they show about it is disturbing, but they simply see the facts, and state what they hear from us.

As far as anger, I have several times put my fist through doors and walls, been arrested for assault, find myself about to snap over a little thing that seemed big at the time, etc. I see myself as worthless and useless to anyone, while at the same time, I see myself as better than everyone else. Always two opinions.

• 4 weeks later...

:mellow: I have not yet been diagnosed with BPD, but sure as hell got it! I'm so scared to admit it, that I just want to lay down and die! I'm also afraid that I'll use it against myself - to justify my behaviour! But what I also know is that if I don't do anything about it, I will end up all alone (abandonment?) - and that's the last thing I want!

I lost it once when my hubby bought the wrong cottage cheese! If I think about it now, it's bizarre, but at that moment it seem to be best that he pasy for his mistake!

Yeah sure, I'm volatile and angry!

• 1 month later...

growing up i had a massive problem with my anger and votility but as i grew up the stakes shifted and i have more of a problem with my identity disturbance etc now although i still have irrational anger does ne1 else find this

Very interesting reading here, to long to copy in entirety. In my opinion from reading and chatting to people in here, a core BPD characteristic is not anger volatility (or would be a very unpleasant site!) but "Identity disturbance; markedly and persistently unstable self image or sense of self". How many posts have we read with "I hate myself, I am evil"?!

Nice to know the shrinks think so highly of us!

rebeccaborderline

http://www.mcmanweb.com/borderline.htm

I get very angry and for me it is one of the most debilitating symptoms of this thing. It can come from nowhere and usually the trigger will be something very trivial - like the hallway carpet has some specks on it and needs hoovering. I know deep down that the trigger i.e the carpet needing hoovering is not the actual cause of the anger. I have written nasty emails to loved ones and people who are close to me, I have raged so much that I have literally gone ballistic and had psychotic episodes.

I appreciate that the link to the article doesn't make for happy reading but I think the self loathing aspect of the illness could be attributed in some way to feelings of guilt stemming from past behaviour.

I think I know that when I am not in the vice like grip of this illness I am a good person, I am a good mum, I am a good boss and I can be good to be around, but most of the time I am not, and for this I feel guilty and then I hate myself.... just my thoughts

lol, I'm actually quite passive most of the time. It's when the paranoia starts to set in and the splitting gets worse that angry and volatile just aren't the words for it. There's plenty of shattered glass in my past and holes in my walls from outbursts, calls made to cops for "disturbing the peace", no arrests yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's not "healthy", but it's helped me to embrace some of the megalomania aspects of BPD. The hard part is to not over do it, but when I handle it right, it boosts my self-respect to counter years of self-loathing. Of course a little NLP re-framing helps as well, I'm working on that issue.

Sometimes I think it's dangerous to be mentally ill and also studying psychology and "fringe" psychology. Then I usually realize that most psychologists are as messed up as I am, but repress it better. :P

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting article.

Anger plays a definate role in my bpd patterns....the rage has been so intense at times.

Its a primary catalyst in my pattern of disassociation. Not acting on the rage takes up a great deal of my time and energy, not just when I am in full flight. My anger frightens me still as it can have this affect of hijacking 'me'. Sometimes I can redirect it, often i cant...and sometimes i just plain dont want to... -_-

blue

I used to be extremely angry and volatile as a teen. Now I can better control my anger and express it in a more adapted way, but I can still feel it bubbling under constantly.

overall, I think this article inspires a lot of hope. Good to know that the research is happening and that eventually (hopefully) the stigma toward personality disorders in the health-care professions will be a thing of the past. Living with the social stigma of mental illness is hard enough, without facing it down when trying to find treatment.

• 1 month later...

My doc want to shift me from a general hospital to the state mental health hospital from 2 stays in the psych unit in wheich they deem me "unmanageable". Am I that unmanageable?

Archived