Mental Health Forums

What Therpay Do You Or Did You Have

lucy

What kind of therpay have you had or are having and does it help?

I am in psychotherpay, i did have it on the nhs and didnt really get anywhere it made me a little more stable and i have returned to work and now see someone privatley.

This time it is alot harder i suppose because i am working more

Love

Lucy

(((lucy)))

I have had counselling, cbt and various psychotherapy stuff. All seem to have helped me a bit even if only temporarily.

Now I am in dbt and although it is hard going I am finding it really helpful too.

Well done for sticking to therapy as well as working. It must be difficult. Hope all your hard work pays off and that things improve for you soon.

tc

mort x

i am currently having DBT which is tough but i think will help, CBT helped me lots in the past the least helpful was psychotherapy but i was not really in the mood for it at the time. I have responded best to group therapy and CBT

How did you find group therpay?

I have been invited ( if thats the right phrase) to join a group therpay session. TA approach for two hours once a week

But i ma also in private psychotherpay which both partys know abut but they want me to decide if i think the group therpay would be of benifit

Personally i dont really know and im worried that it will create more problems than it solves

My T is concern that i will split both therpaies into one good and one bad as i often identify therpists as parental figures

i have real problems about crying in therpay ( i dont do it) and i think this will be worse in a group of people

:rolleyes:

hi Lucy

currently in psychotherapy, have had, councilling for what felt like a year....dont remember...then, more councilling with another lady, the silent therapy for a few months, it was not really helpful, then more councilling, then cbt through the hospital, then couples councilling with ex partner, and now i see the psychotherapist...

my first councillor and my psychotherapist so far have helped me the most, as for group therapy, i think i'd be a wreck and it would be v difficult for me to say anything....

good luck Lucy tho with whatever you chose to do, sounds like your therapists has your best interests at heart there hon

jai

x

Psychotherapy - over and over and over the past 30 years. I was offered group once, but I refused. The difference this time is medication. And it is making a difference.

XXX

Ann

I started with tranacational anylsis which was crap

I then did CBt which was helpful

In Tc did : Art therapy

psychodrama

psychotherapy: psycho anyalitical ( i think)

Anger management ( crap made me angry)

DBT

started schema therapy ...thought it was really good but too hard and stopped for fertility reasons

my T uses an eclectic apporach now.

surely i should be cured by now??

i have real problems about crying in therpay ( i dont do it) and i think this will be worse in a group of people

:rolleyes:

Lucy, why do you find this gives you real problems?....I don't cry either, I do after sessions or doc visits, when I get out of the room and back to my car, but, people don't see that.

I dont know JT, i want to cry and im sat there thinking

" go on cry " but as well as that i also sit there thinking " Im not going to cry" i just dont want to give him the satisfaction of me crying. Yet i know thats what i want to do , i find it so annoying

Its at home as well i might cry a bit like a quick outburst but i hate the sound so much that i stop myself

so im really stuck with it

lucy

Lucy,

hey, i dont cry in therapy either....i m not sure if its cos he's a guy, and i used to cry easily with women therapists. I do cry at home, sometimes sob myself dry in the bath! if thats possible.

Otherwise, i worry about it too, i wish i could and worry i come off as being so detached that i can nt find that special place that makes the tears when i'm there.

jai

I have to say I am the same with my male T i rarely cry...If i start crying i pull myself away from those feellings...I cried the whole time the time before last when I saw him i was experienceing flashbacks in his office and i just felt well he'll know how bad it really was..

I also feel though if i sat there and cry for half an hours thats half my session wasted..not sure if my thinking is right or wrong but he does help so will keep going my own merry way lol

i have person-centred counselling, with cognitive behaviour thrown in.... also art therapy. yeah i def find it helps.............. had session this morning.................. i love therapy............ as long as ur willin for change and ready to explore and face the pain it's so benefitial. i found new concept to my attachment issues today..... that due to never being loved and always being lonely and abandoned (i nearly cried..... and i don't cry.. like most of u) i long for a secure attachment and i will seek anywhere to find it...... esp men with menatl health issues as i believe they will need me.... and yet i find myself unsatisfied when in a relationship as involved in something i don't want to be in and doesn't feed my desires n needs.... so we have worked on how i fill this attachment myself and began that process.... it's fucking great. sorry to ramble...... needed to get that off me chest. i feel great :) :)

I've had CBT, CCT, and CAT.

Now I see my Psychologist just for check ups really. We don't actively do any therapy. He said there isn't much that I haven't done that might be helpful.

Obviously DBT would be.. IF they offered it. But I wouldn't want to do it anyway!

I'm fed up of living in false hope.

I've had counselling, CBT (several times & didn't really help me), art therapy, creative therapy, humanist psychotherapy and currently on psychoanalytical psychotherapy.... I'll give most things a go....

I cry in therapy.... somtimes I'll just burst in to tears without any warning...

Poodle

• 3 months later...

psychodynamic psychotherapy - something to do with building a relationship of unconditional acceptance with my therapist. we are incorporating DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) to deal with my symptoms.

It's almost excruciating at times :D

hi, i have had one to one counselling, group counselling, one to one cbt mixed with counselling (i found this the best) group cbt (didnt like)

i've also attended a hospitalised, 1 month ATP progrogramme (adictive therapy programme) and this very good

good luck one and all

lloydy

I have had counselling that I found too much so I stopped it then I had NLP Neuro languistic programming but couldn't get my headaround it and now I am seeing a psychologist and I haven't a clue what she is practising on me.

I have seen psychiatrists and seen consultant clinical psychologist with her I have done some CBT and counselling type stuff. She tried to do EMDR on me but I found it too difficult

oh yeah and years ago she tried hypnotising me (although it was more about deep relaxation than trances or anything like that)

As anyone who ventures into the BPD forum will know I am just starting out at a TC where I will do psychodrama, art therapy and group psychotherapy (amongst other things)

Jay

Archived