Mental Health Forums

Dbt Groups

Ginny

HI

I am finally starting DBT therapy (within a group) sometime in the New Year and I have no idea what to expect.... :mellow: I am scared cos if it is a group it means there will be other people there and I am VERY unhappy about having to discuss my stuff in front of other people. Can anyone give me some insight into what all this entails and how to be strong enough to front up at the group - I really am shitting myself... :(

Ginny :unsure:

Ginny,

It isn't available in my area, but several members have experience with DBT and I'm sure they will be able to help you. Just wanted respond.

Ann

They will - Ladylazurus used to be on the site often and had the most experience, but haven't seen her for some time. Still, I know someone will help you. In the mean time, have you search the internet for it? There is a ton of info out there on DBT. I know you'd like to hear a first hand account - I would too. I can tell you that everyone has had pretty much a positive experience with it. It's a lot of work, I 've heard. You have homework and exercises to do. You'll see. I wish very much we had it here, but we don't.

Hey Ginny,

Never had the experience of DBT group as such. But I have been a member of a cbt/dbt focused online group for the last two years.

I have found it very supportive. But expect to be called on your 'shit'. Once I learnt to deal with that, rather than seeing it as direct critisism on myself as a person it started to be a great help.

It is so much easier to see when someone is acting in borderline ways than when it is you doing it yourself.

Plus seeing others a little further along the path is inspiring.You go through hating them. Thinking they must be pretending or that they never had things so bad in the first place.

Heh, im rambling give it a go. Its rubbed of on me and im kinda not sure on the whole behavioral therapy still. (shhh, dont tell the other place :P )

L

xxxx

Hey Ginny,

I go to DBT skills group and am on the waiting list for DBT itself, in my group there's more a focus on how skills can help rather than your actual behaviour. Our leader is happy to talk about stuff individually as well. I find it really helps, and everyones at a different level so there's not so much expectation put on you to contribute (although the leader guy does have a habit of picking on you if you're being especially quiet...!) I think it's going to be a really great thing for you to be doing, but can't think of anything else helpful, so goo luck,

Anwen

I got to DBT and have completed the first module MINFULLNESS.

I think it MUST be done in a group it is part of the whole package of DBt, the group phase isnt so daunting when you get used to it and it actaully helps to know ur not alone nad that peoplee RIGHT NEAR YOU - iN THE SAME ROOM can actaully feel how u are feeling.

I have found it to be the most usefull thing ive EVER and I mean EVER done in my life>

it takes A LOT and I mean a LOT of effort on our parts to Stick with it even when it seems hard but its so worth it. My patterns of instability, my self harm are reduced and its ME thats doing it not some won der drug, along with support from the Group, the DBT therapist, your psyc and family and friends its a journey that I hope all BPD sufferers can take.

Im a long way from perfect but I know that I CAN get better - this is a big step for any one suffering BPD.

I have to wait for the next module for around 6mnths but I am prepared to wait as the skills ive learnt in Mindufullness are helping me along.

Its not so much about sharig ur indivudal problems and u dont have to discuss ANYTHING u dont want to, u gain friendship and insight into others lives. Its worth it.

If u have any questions id be happy to answer just PM me anytime>

Sorry i cant be more through my mind isnt 100% concentrasting tonight. but id defiantly say make sure u give it a chance, its hard work, its change, its scary as all hell but its worth it.

hugs Daisy.

Thank you guys so much.......... :)

You have given me a bit of insight and made me feel much more confident than I ever thought I would - THANK YOU!!!!!!

Big hugs to everyone who responded to this post - I really appreciate the time and effort.

Ginny :wub::wub::wub:

(((Daisy))) (((anwen))) (((lorna134))) (((verbena)))

Good Luck with the group - let us know how you go.

it is a bit daunting at first, but everyone is thier to support you and battle the same illness - u will be amazed how much support you get im sure and make friends and realise your not alone - the benifts are endless.

GOOD LUCK

daisy.

Archived