Mental Health Forums

"growing Out" Of Bpd....

Martin

According to a recent psychriatric assesment, I no longer have BPD in such a marked state.... He says it is possible to "grow out" of the condition... and I must admit I dont feel as BPDish as I was in my teens and twenties.. Although he still thinks I am am Bi-Polar II... (so I still have an excuse to stay!)..

So to all you young pups, hang on peeps, there are possiblities of getting better......

Take Care

Spliffy

I'd agree, Spliffy -- but it seems to have taken an awfully long time!

For me, it's like I'm looking around a _really_ messy room, wondering how to put everything back together. Making heaps of progress sometimes, it feels, but then there are dips and dives and... well... you're not back where you started, but it sort of feels you're heading that way for a few hours.

Good on ya!

SAXIII

Look forward to what? Who cares if the outward aggressions of BPD simmer with the sunset of age - the inner turmoil remains and the most important factor of all never diminishes - the inability to have an adult relationship on equal ground...

I am so sick of therapists who will say anything to avoid doing their jobs...most of them get into the field with great intentions, but after a while they are so beat up all they want is their paychecks, Fridays and Holidays as they listen to us with one ear while planning their weekend with the other...

Look forward to what? Who cares if the outward aggressions of BPD simmer with the sunset of age - the inner turmoil remains and the most important factor of all never diminishes - the inability to have an adult relationship on equal ground...

I disagree profoundly. The inner turmoil lessens as you connect with the responsible, adult world.

Gratitude, hope and a sense of humour, guys. These are darn useful.

Best wishes

SAXIII

Have to agree with spliffy and SAXIII here.

I don't think the inner turmoil of my emotions has lessened, my mood can go from calm to manic and/or despair in 60 seconds still, but the ability to cope with them in non harmful ways has improved the quality of my life and the life of my daughter to a huge extent.

Last year I would have doubted anyone who told me that my life could improve in ANY way but now I realise that as it has improved in many ways it might continue to improve in other ways also.

Awareness and acceptance of choices and positive changes in behaviours are the first step but am hoping that as time goes on, the initial intensity of emotions will lessen too and if not then still have new coping skills to deal with them.

It helps me to think that although I still have emotional and behavioural "blips" I am not having to constantly guard against them, can "feel" my emotions and accept them and that they will pass without the need for drastic action on my part. And that is so liberating at my age (38). So there is hope for us all, something for us all to look forward to. :)

tc

mort x

Glad to hear that Spliffy, just hope that doesn't mean you won't get left to entirely fend for yourself. I had been secretly hoping that I would grow out of bpd in my 30s, but no such luck so far. Looks like I'm gonna have the bloody hard route. :(

I'm gonna have to look bi-polar II as have no idea what the ell it is and it seems quite common around here....

Dxx

I disagree profoundly. The inner turmoil lessens as you connect with the responsible, adult world.

Gratitude, hope and a sense of humour, guys. These are darn useful.

Best wishes

SAXIII

Very happy for you Sax...

As for me, I have always been grateful and have had a powerful sense of humor - hope, I don't know much about that, but I am very responsible. I don't know which adult world you are connecting with, for I know very few adults who act responsibly...

Yes, yes, yes...like everyone, when things are going well, they also go well for the borderline, but maintain your guard, for your armor is brittle and will crack at the slightest sign of trouble. I have been there too many times not to know the truth...Like the recovering alcoholic, we too are also in recovery for ever.

Very happy for you Sax...

As for me, I have always been grateful and have had a powerful sense of humor - hope, I don't know much about that, but I am very responsible. I don't know which adult world you are connecting with, for I know very few adults who act responsibly...

Yes, yes, yes...like everyone, when things are going well, they also go well for the borderline, but maintain your guard, for your armor is brittle and will crack at the slightest sign of trouble. I have been there too many times not to know the truth...Like the recovering alcoholic, we too are also in recovery for ever.

Indeed, indeed!

Hence my sig!

:D

and the most important factor of all never diminishes - the inability to have an adult relationship on equal ground...

LW, I think you're right to give your warning, so as we don't succumb to B&W thinking about our future trends, however that inability you mention - or rather ability, which simply appears small compared to some others - may evolve in relative terms.

Like Rachel says we don't see it that way yet, but we shouldn't lose a cool-headed hope of some relative change, if we are attending to main issues and working for it to some extent ...

Archived