Mental Health Forums

Does Anyone Get Spacey?

ktodee_27

Hey everyone-

Does anyone just suddenly get spacey and feel like they are in the world, but yet not in the world? Just like completely numb, emotionless, etc at times? Oblivious to what is going on around them even when there's tons of stuff going on at a busy department store and kids screaming, and people just crowded and crammed together and going back and forth every second? And it just doesn't impact you whatsoever..............

That's where I'm at tonight and what has happened today when I went out.

Anyone been there before?

Yes.

I dont know why. It's like my brain is shutting down in the senses department.

It does not want to process them or it cannot at these times. :wacko:

Bit disturbing. But there we go!

Hope thats reassuring it probably isn't. :lol:

Can you link it to things happening or is it just random? Mine is totally random.

yes... i call that dissasociation... walls also move when this happens... i have been known to walk out when there is too much chaosis. just walk away. drive and dont know where i am. not know what ppl just said, i was once at a big family meal when i just shut my eyes and started rocking. really made a good impression

bets

yes, it usually happens when I have been triggered (by who knows what). I come back and realize that I have been going through the motions, but I don't remember doing what I have been doing. Make sense? I lose minutes. Example, begin to wash dishes, something happens - I finish, but have no memory of doing them.

Go to the mall, something triggers me -- do what I need to do, but have no memory of doing it. Also do it during conversations about certain topics.

You aren't alone, though we all may do it for different reasons in different ways. Like Betsy said, for me its also dissociation. ( this is what the pdoc and tdoc have told me)

Hi

I also have the same problem.Thought it was just me its been happening for a long time.

I forget where I have put things like money or letters and it really bugs me.When I go shopping I can hear everything but seem to go into a daze,it seems to be because of triggers with me.

It scares me when Im in a busy place or rear traffic.

At least we know we are not alone in this,thanks for bringing it up.

Take care,

luv Maria.

like Betsy said it's another form of dissasociation!

basically blocking out anything that you don't want and focus on what you do want!

it's a form of coping mechanism.

i don't cope with crowds and i tend to just switch the background off and focus on what need doing! like shopping! can go into a supermarket where its busy and not see anyone at all! just focussed on what i needed to buy

can be very scarey at times! like when driving! you get to your destination and wonder how you got there

Traceyxxx

I do this far too often - im sure as u can see from the replies your definatly not alone here.

I think it is a form of dissasociation. I personally dont know im doing it tilll later most times, but im sure its a form of escape from myself and my head..or an attempt anyway.

Archived