Mental Health Forums

A Love That No-one Can Ever Take Away

Stephanana

Dear Forum members,

I have discovered a wonderful, little poem by Derek Walcott...It celebrates the enlightenment of *finally* accepting yourself. OK, I'm not even half way there, and still have days when I just want to hurl my sorry being under the thundering wheels of a Stansted Express...BUT, when I do glimpse the shining light inside, it is a truly life affirming feeling. No...I am not religious!!!!! Oh, I'll shut up...just read the poem, dear friends, and enjoy...huggle from Stephxxx

The time will come

when, with elation,

you will greet yourself arriving

at your own door, in your own mirror,

and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.

You will love again the stranger who was yourself.

Give wine. Give bread. Give back your heart

to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored

for another, who knows you by heart.

take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,

peel your own image from the mirror.

Sit. Feast on your life.

I'm enthusiastic about me!!! All the me's, including the irresponsible and immature ones, the boring fussy ones, I'm proud of them all, gathered on the fireside rug for a pep chat to pull together for our wonderful future goals,

Thank you Stephanana for sharing this quote (and your own experiences) with us all.

thanks for the poem it does make alot of sense .. well to me it does and thats strange hehe.

im the same as you steph i have my times aswell so ysour not alone :)

Aw, I'm chuffed that you enjoyed the poem...it moved me immensely, so I just had to share it and hope it gave some comfort to others too:)

Take care...Stephxx

Aw, I'm chuffed that you enjoyed the poem...it moved me immensely, so I just had to share it and hope it gave some comfort to others too:)

Take care...Stephxx

thats so inspirational thank you for sharing it. hugs ivy xx

Archived