Mental Health Forums

Empty

Doctor Dysphoria

Could some one flesh out what feeling 'empty' actually means ? I know this is a symptom of bpd but is it the same as feeling flat/lifeless? Outside of mood reactivity feeling emmotionally one dimensional?

To me, feeling 'flat' is to feel no emotions at all. Just nothing.

The emptiness (in my words) is feeling like you don't have a soul. It is very unsettling, painful. You try to find ways to fill the void. I'm sure others might be able to explain it differently.

Hugs to you.

Amy

I go completely numb - I think its almost like a form of dissociation.....

Nothing gets in and there IS nothing to come out.....

(((((Doc))))

Ginny :unsure:

When that happens, I just feel hollow, like an empty shell...

I suppose the closest analogy I can come up with is a clothes-hanger...the clothes I shrug on and off are what others see, which isn't the real me (and I can assume an assortment of 'looks' or 'guises'...for want of a better word...depending on who I'm interacting with...it's almost like an automatic reaction)...but what I really am is merely the little bit of nothing that props up all these different outfits/identities.

I often feel like a non-person, like I don't actually exist...that all there is to me is the anger, depression etc etc, and even all that might be 'artificial'. This can sometimes feel completely surreal, almost like an out-of-body experience...

Anyone has experienced something similar, or is it just me? :unsure:

I often feel like a non-person, like I don't actually exist...

I have felt this since I was a child - that was what started the SI..... how weird... I have never heard anyone say this before...

Thanks Lille Eskimit - I am not alone..

Ginny :unsure:

Archived