Mental Health Forums

Searching

Doctor Dysphoria

I spend ages searching online for something that truly defines who iam - something that allows all the pieces of the jigsaw to come together and form a clear portrait. I constantly experience this feeling of not quite belonging.

Just remember that psychiatry is an art, not an exact science. When I began going to a therapist and psychyatrist this time around, I was truley convinced a new diagnosis was going to be created for just me! Like you mentioned, I didn't seem to fit in just one place, rather in different places at the same time.

They will treat your SYMPTOMS. Try not to get caught up in labels, they don't change who you are. Funny, I am telling you this, when all I wanted was to know which box I fit in to. For me having that label meant other people felt like me, so many felt like me that there was a name for it. So I understand why the label is important. Now I have more than a handful of dx's in my file. I now see why they always say try not to get caught up in the labels. :blink:

It also takes time to get these dx's, and to find the right medications that work for you if they choose to go that route. So try not to get dicouraged.

We are here for you. :)

Amy

Just as a cancer victim is not cancer. You are not defined by a mental illness.

No individual has the same finger print. We are all different.

No life course will ever be the same. So no one can ever be exactly the same.

You are a unique individual and that is what makes the world remain interesting.

You and a mental health team can work together to treat symptoms that have an adverse effect on your life. But the fundements of your personality will be the same.

You will be you what ever you are diagnosed as or what ever treatment you may accept.

TC

L

xxx

Thats the thing, Doc. The traits that keep us together are similar (as in BPD) but we are all SO different and experience the same stress in different ways - or to a greater or lesser degree...... Unfortunately, I dont think there IS a way of putting all the peices together - it would be like trying to find the meaning and structure of the universe - we are complicated beings......

Ginny :blink:

:wub: :wub:

gotta agree with the above... my philosophy is get a new psychiatrist get a new dx.. todate i have at least 5 dx's and who knows when they will add a new one. the important thing is... i am functioning... i have good therapists... i am making progress.

get a therapist and get to work!

take care

bets

Archived