Mental Health Forums

Propranolol

Helen

I don't know escitalopram, I had the prams without the es in front which is different.

However I nonetheless suspect what you are experiencing is the e-prams.

It took me well over two months before my prams wore off, during which my mind got wiped out and I was sorely troubled by words.

I suspect you ought to try the prop stuff again in about three months and see how you get on with it then.

I was asked to try these and I've forgotten when it was but I think it was one of those lingering after effects that made it useless so much as trying them. (Had two troublesome drugs this year)

I hope you don't have one of those doctors that is conducting a vicious campaign against patients that have their own ideas about medicines, and I don't know what you should say about it.

If it were me, i would take nothing for a while, but just use the Propanolol as you need them. They work straightaway so if you are feeling anxious, take one. If you dont feel anxious, dont take one. That is how they are often prescribed, ie take as needed.

So your doctor has taken you off an anti-depressant and put you on a medication used for anxiety? Thats odd. He could have give you the propranolol anongside the AD.

The thoughts and feelings you were experiencing, could have been withdrawals from the AD, was this tapered when you stopped, or did you just stop straight out?

You can just take them as a prn, as and when needed. I was prescribed the same med to be taken 3x a day. Although I never got any of the side effects you describe. But never got any benefits from them either.

If you feel the new meds are not working for you, then go back to your gp and tell them what is going on, and see what they have to say.

Good luck with it.

Vorpers is right - the prop might do good even if you are in a state from the other, and you might be all the more in need of it while you are in that state (if you are).

I think more drugs should be taken when needed and not continuously.

It took me well over two months before my prams wore off, during which my mind got wiped out and I was sorely troubled by words.

Could you be a bit more specific about your experience here? I'm on escitalopram and having memory problems...

Strat

Hi Strat, my 'prams were citaloprams (not es-citaloprams, I don't know how similar they are), I have a very long list, which overlaps with the published lists of possible effects though is a bit different, basically I lost a handle on almost all business for a couple of months.

Anyway they will all strike us differently.

Everyone should be wary of all meds and be prepared to phone the yellow card people (details on another thread through Search form or on Google).

Hi Strat, my 'prams were citaloprams (not es-citaloprams, I don't know how similar they are), I have a

very long list, which overlaps with the published lists of possible effects though is a bit different, basically I lost a handle on almost all business for a couple of months. Anyway they will all strike us differently.

Everyone should be wary of all meds and be prepared to phone the yellow card people (details on another

thread through Search form or on Google).

Miko,

I don't know how similar they are either, I had a guy on the crisis resolution team back in February explain the difference to me and it made perfect sense at the time, but I don't think I understood him really. I'm hoping I don't lose my handle, I'm struggling to pay bills now, don't know how I'm going to survive the winter at the moment - I need more work and more money, but my mental state isn't helping at

all.

I'll keep the yellow card site in mind if I get no joy from my "people" (they've taken no notice so far - gp, psych, therapist or cpn), but I seriously doubt that anybody gives a damn.

I'm seeing my therapist again tomorrow, let's see what degree of passive aggression I can muster up by then!

strat

Now my pdoctor has prescribed propranolol alongside escitalopram as the lithium is making me shake a lot and sweat at night so that should wipe out what's left of my tiny mind. I pick up the script on Monday.

I looked it up and it said it was a beta blocker. Does anybody know if this will have an adverse affect on my cycling at all?

Thanks.

strat

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been on propanalol along side antidepressants for a long time. Propanalol is a Beta-Blocker and normaly prescribed for anxiety as it lowers your heart rate so helping with the panicy feelings. They started as madication for heart conditions but are being used more and more instead as the Benzo's ( Valium Diazipam etc)

My Physic has said I MUST NOT just stop taking them. I would go back to your doctor and talk to him. It seeems strange to be treating depresionand then change to Anxiety.

Hope that helps a bit.

Take care

Murdock

Now my pdoctor has prescribed propranolol alongside escitalopram as the lithium is making me shake a lot and sweat at night so that should wipe out what's left of my tiny mind. I pick up the script on Monday.

I looked it up and it said it was a beta blocker. Does anybody know if this will have an adverse affect on my cycling at all?

Thanks.

strat

Strat I asked the same question,and the answer was no. Because it lowers your heart rate it reduces the chance of your heart rate going too high during excersise, in short it's better

Cheers

Murdock

Hi,

I have been on propanalol along side antidepressants for a long time. Propanalol is a Beta-Blocker and normaly prescribed for anxiety as it lowers your heart rate so helping with the panicy feelings. They started as madication for heart conditions but are being used more and more instead as the Benzo's ( Valium Diazipam etc)

My Physic has said I MUST NOT just stop taking them. I would go back to your doctor and talk to him. It seeems strange to be treating depresionand then change to Anxiety.

Hope that helps a bit.

Take care

Murdock

Thanks.

strat

Strat I asked the same question,and the answer was no. Because it lowers your heart rate it reduces the chance of your heart rate going too high during excersise, in short it's better

Cheers

Murdock

Hi Murdock,

The thing is it drops my heart rate by about 20 beats, which seems a lot, but it seems to work okay in practice.

strat

Archived