Mental Health Forums

I've Been Put On..

Vorpalblade

..lithium by my shrink today finally. he's been going on about it for ages. first dose tonight, and then first blood test next Tuesday. I'm really excited about it as i know that it can do great things for us manic depressives.

Bladey

I'm on lithium and it has made a difference, but side effects can be horrible. I suffered terrible nausea/vomiting til put on tablets to counter it, so watch out but good luck!

Maddy

Hi Blade,

I'm on lithium too, up to 800mg now; the worst side effects are constant shaking (which can be embarrassing and interfere with my accelerator control in the car), and tinnitus, but everyone is different.

It does seem to be evening out my mood swings.

Best of luck with it.

Strat

Bladey i hope this does some good for you, you have been waiting long enough for it. Does this mean your liver function has improved as i know lithium can increase liver emzymes.

Tc xxx

That's great. Lithium has been really good for me, I'm on 1200mg and the side effects come and go but none of them have been too major, the shaking hands can be a bit embarrassing at times. I had quite a few side effects at first but most went away after a few weeks. You may also find it take a few weeks to find the right dose for you that is also within the therapeutic range so be patient even if it seems like nothing is changing.

I find that my side effects are reduced if I drink a lot of water. I did get mild lithium poisoning once because I got really dehydrated but as soon as I ate some salted peanuts and gatorade I started to feel better. My doc said water and salt are both important when you are on lithium. I know the signs now when I need to drink more or eat more salt so I don't have many problems. The only side effect that does cause me a few problems is with spelling and grammar and just generally writing and recognising words, I do bizarre stuff like put the word potato in the middle of a sentence cos I really believe that I've written something else, I have to recheck everything I write and I always have a dictionary with me at work.

But apart from that Lithium is great it really stopped my highs and my moods don't swing anything like they used to.

Good luck, hope it works out for you and if there's any question you have about Lithium then give me a shout and hopefully I can help.

badger

xx

yea Jo it does :)

thanks for your reply Badger it was useful.

i've been reading the info sheets provided and lithium is pretty serious stuff huh.

am going now to take my first tablet..so exciting! :D

• 2 weeks later...

was on lithium for around 18months, needed 500mg to get my blood concentration in range. i was lucky and expereinced no side effects at all, it really helped lift me out of a suicidal hole.

i don't know if you ever take overdoes, but don't on this, it's awful and pretty dangerous,

right.

yea i do take overdoses, luckily Josh has pre-warned me about not ODing on the lithium. i plan on sticking to things i know i am "safe" with.

thanks

Blade

Here's hoping your pills are continuing to suit you Vorpalblade. It can be very adventuresome starting out on a new med. and I had a couple of disappointments on that score of late.

The Jabberwock is not you!

Archived