Mental Health Forums

adam_t

Hi everyone,

JUst thought i'd introduce myself. Am 22 and just been diagnosed with BPD although have suffered various mental health problems for a long time. I've also just been referred to Intensive Psychological Therapies service and been for an assessment. Would be grateful if anyone could tell me what the therapy itself involves?

thanks

Adam

Hi Adam, and many welcomes!

Therapies (non-med); I do psychoanalytical psychotherapy, no time limit at the mo, which for me is great. I know some BPD people on here do DBT (Dialectic Behaviour Therapy), supposed to be particularly good for BPDs. There may be other people doing other types....

But as my therapist said recently (he is also the manager of the theraputic unit); too much stress sometimes placed on type of therapy when quality of the therapist is as much, if not more, important. Possibly true

Good luck with your assesment, let us know what they can offer you

rebeccaborderline

thanks for the welcome everyone. i was wondering if its unusual for men to have BPD? ive done some research on it but the mental health team are always very reluctant to talk about it!

Hello Adam,

Welcome to this site.

Sorry I havent got a book with me at the moment there is a great difference between men and women and the occurence of borderline. I think its 2:1 ratio women to men

Someone with greater knowledge and the ability to look at a book in the other room without people finding out will be able to tell you. (sorry borderline in hiding here)

Ginger

thanks for the welcome everyone. i was wondering if its unusual for men to have BPD? ive done some research on it but the mental health team are always very reluctant to talk about it!

Hey Adam. I'm another newbie here. I don't think unusual is the word to describe the frequency of BPD traits found in men, but women are reported to have it more often. I did read in a book somewhere (I can't remember the book at the moment...it might have been "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me") that the reason that more women are reported to suffer from BPD could be because women are more likely to seek help. The other men with BPD may not be counted because they see going to a therapist as weak, thus they are not included in the count.

Can anyone verify if this was in the book "I Hate You, Don't Leave Me"?

Bill

Hi again Adam,

I also asked the men v women ratio question (and other BPD questions), and got some v interesting replies on this site, see link here;

http://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forum...showtopic=18349

including the suggestion that men may be discriminated against by having other PDs ascribed to them, and imprisoned rather than treated.

Also think that Williams point is true, women maybe more likely to seek help/explaination/diagnosis

rebeccaborderline

Hello Adam,

Welcome to the forum!

A really comprehensive book on BPD is "New Hope For People With Borderline Personality Disorder" by Neil R. Bockian, Ph.D. You can get on Amazon or maybe Ebay. The more I read about BPD, the easier I find it to cope with. Understanding is the key - enlightenment and all that.

They discuss the gender issues surrounding BPD very intelligently I think.

In short:

1) Psychosocial factors may make women more vulnerable to the disorder.

2) Biological factors may make women more vulnerable to the disorder.

3) Clinicians can be biased, leading them to diagnose women as borderline and men as antisocial.

4) Women with BPD are more likely to come to the attention of mental health practitioners and get diagnosed than are men with BPD.

5) The DSM-IV criteria may reflect gender bias.

How's that?

Take care and speak soon,

KP

xx

now tadpole and adam.... surrounded by women...... every man's dream init? maybe tis bit of a nightmare that all have menatl health problems. lol. hope u enjoy the site x

Hi & :welcomeani:

My hubby has BPD aswell as me...I think men more often end up in prison than dx ed so think that is why the figures for men are much lower than women..not sure how unusual it is but met quite a few men with BPD when i was in TC

Archived